Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the fastest AMD chip?

• 22-08-2001 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

1.5ghz isnt it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Depends, do you mean non o/c'd? The theoretically fastest speed is roughly 2 ghz
    The highest achieved according to overclockers.com's database is 1.875 ghz using a TBird 1.4 with AYHJA stepping and peltier cooling, and using only 1.85v

fastest t-bird you can purchase is 1.4 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Think I've seen a 1.7 flying around, but don't quote me on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Fastest you can buy is the 1.4GHz TBird (I think, I'm not sure if the 1.2GHz Palamino beats it or not - I'll need to check).

Overclocked? Some crazy people managed to get one up to over 2.2GHz with liquid nitrogen cooling.

And they got a 1GHz AXIA to over 2GHz, too! wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

no i ment retail speed not overclocked.i was just wondering cus intel are bring out a 2ghz proc soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

U should try O/Cing the new the Palamino...Delightful...Very expensive though. The 1.2 Palamino i've seen wipes the P4's butt and the 1.4 has better performance than the 1.7/1.8 methinks.

=DiE=[NeoSlicers]=
    -=Pistol Phr34k=-
    [-=p228 0wn5 j00!!!!=-]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

The T.bird or Athlon goes up to at least 1.5gz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

NeoSlice... it depends on what you're doing. Examine these links:

For P4:
    http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010612/tualatin-03.html

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1515&p=11

For Athlon:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1515&p=8

Patrick: a 7% overclock? wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Don't go fooling yourself into thinking that a 2ghz intel pentium 4 will be 33% faster than say a tbird 1.5ghz. The p4 executes less instructions per clock cycle on most programs, except those that are optimized for it. So it is faster for some things, and not for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The palomino doesn't seem to clock as high as the tbird at the moment though, (I know it has significant performance increases in some applications). I'd wait a little while before getting a palomino, I'd say amd will improve its headroom given a little time.

Advertisement