Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Nights

• 24-06-2002 7:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

The time is now 7.15 am (the post time should be within 5 mins) and I am about to disconnect and go to bed.

I've just spent the last 2 hours doing some web-work.

Someone just told me over IRC that I was mad just before they finished their night-shift. (nice job for them eh)

What kind of rediculous hours have people put in online?

Last X-mas I went two weeks without going to bed before 8 am.

One day I went to sleep at 12 in the afternoon having read for 4 hours having disconnected at 9 am and I got up at 7.30 pm that evening.

Madness I say ... but I enjoy it! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I stayed up for two and a half days straight once last summer. Between work and the internet I couldnt find time to go to bed :). I normally get to bed around 6 am when I'm on the internet in Ireland.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The longest session I've had purely on the intarwab and IRC the like would be abour 20 hours. Now playing Civ3, well that's a different kettle of cod. I've had many the long weekend playing Civ3 with 2 or 3 hours sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If we didn't get kicked out of the labs at 6pm I'd probably have put in some crazy hours. Longest time spent on a computer was either last christmas when I spent from 8pm one evening to 6pm the next day, all stoked with my new linux install (my first one awww), or when I completely lost track of time playing championship manager. I played 3 seasons before realising that night (and most of the day) had come and gone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

when i first got Age of Empires I only got about 3hr's sleep a night for about a month. :)

Same with CiV3 but got tired of that after a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Bought Commandos 2 a while back but hated it the first time I played it. Was sick all last week so decided to give it another whirl, just to be sure. Now I've gotten into it and it has gobbled at least 6 hours per day last week, the hoor. Great game too actually, truely an example of how cigarettes can be bad for your health!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The longest I've stayed awake is 128hrs or so, I have no intention of every doing that again, and would advise people not try that...it seriously messes up your head...not to mention the amount of time spend catching up on your sleep

In saying that, Im regularly awake for about 48hrs...I just sleep in bulk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

128hrs? Holy crap, over 5 days awake. Last longest I knew was a guy in college, up for almost 4 days (not drug induced). Needless to say he was hallucinating by the end of it - his brain was just going loopy and melting down. Not the healthiest thing to do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not a night online but this one is definitely one of the strangest ones I've done:

Went to France on a youth exchange years ago.

Got a bus at 5 am.

Travelled from North East Galway to Rosslare with stop-off's.

Got 14 hour ferry from Cork to one of the french ports. (TBQH I can't remember which one)

Arrived early that morning and took a 1 hour bus to destination.

It was morning there and there was one hell of a lot of stuff to do. By the time we got anywhere near bed that night I'd played indoor soccer, basket ball, been to the pub twice and much more. A few hours later up again for another day.

I got so little sleep that the effects of being on a ferry for 14 hours didn't really wear off for a few days. It was like being at sea on dry land ... surreal! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm, I try to sleep properly these days.

Saying that, I did have one rather interesting episode in college, where I got up at 7am to get to college, spent the day arsing around as normal, stayed up all night working on the college magazine, then at 7am the next morning as we were leaving the campus thinking, 'job well done', someone said "jaysus I'd murder a pint" so by 8am we were in Slatterys on Capel Street, and I had a cold so I started on hot whiskeys, then somewhere between twenty and thirty hot whiskeys and about ten hours later I moved from Slatterys to the Thing Mote, where there was more drink, then back to someones house, where we stayed up all night playing lemmings (I was in college a LONG time ago ok?) and I can just remember around 60 hours into wakefulness just sitting down on the kitchen floor in someone elses house, 'just for a minute', and that's where they found me, snoring peacefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when I had nolimits, during school holidays I would wake up around 5pm, have breakfsat, than then spend all night online ,and head to bed around 8-9am.

worst I ever went without sleep is 3-4 days, i started feelin like **** on the last day and collapsed in my bed where I slept for 32 hours :)

lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmmmm... I think the latest on boards was about 3/4am (damn IRC)

Longest without sleep? 5/6 days when the doctors put me on magnificant doses of steroids for 10 days to try and get rid of a weird asses cough i had, it didnt work, i ended up sleepless and hallucinating for the 3/4 days at the end. fun.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

When I'm not in college, and not doing non-computer oritented work, I tend to get up in mid afternoon, and head to bed around 7 or 8am every morning. I have done this for the past two summers. I can stay awake easily, but I can't get to sleep easy. So after doing it so often I came up with a theory, because I find I didnt' have much time for sleeping.

My thread based on my sleep theory

I much prefer being awake at night, but I find I'm becomming less & less a people person. I don't mind spending days or weeks on my own (with my PC). I think this is unhealthy, but I'm happy ;)
    At night I always seem more motivated to do the things I should be doing (reading, programming, learning in general). It's easy to go on a night out with friends, because it's at night, and that's when I'm awake. But to do things like go in to town shopping, or get a hair cut (which I do every 3-4 weeks) is a pain, because I found I had to reverse my sleeping patterns just to do that. It used to take me 2 days to get back to normal, but now I've managed to trim the time it takes to jump from one pattern to the other (this is important I think, and could be beneficial to me in the future in long distance travel). Anyway it's an interesting topic, and one I could ramble on for ages with, but I think I've already done it with my "theory thread" above. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

7am. Got up, went too work. 7pm. Went to work Christmas party. Drove around Dublin in a mini-bus dropping everyone home. 6am. Ask mini-bus driver to take me to an open restuarant. 9am. Go to college. Go to work. 3am. Get in mini-bus. 4am. Go to bed. 7am. Got up, went too work. 6pm. Went to college. 11pm went to bed.

Then there was the week I worked 105 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Used to work nights and wife worked days and had no babysitter.
    Slept from 5.30pm to 7.15pm (same day) this went on for 3 months .
    Its hell .
    Longest on PC would be till about 4/5am always playing games but that was just to get decent ping with 56k.
    Work nights and sometimes oyu cant sleep when you go home specially on hot days and you get used to it.
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

If im spending hours on the PC its a sign that something is ****ed up.All those ****ing hours i spent online trying to get that gay c*nt audiogalaxy to actually download anything.Thank god its dead-it was probably set up by eircom to keep us online for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I had a few weeks before the Leaving Cert there when I kept a very erratic sleeping pattern (or lack of pattern). I just got up whenever I woke and went to bed when i was tired, so it kept getting worse and worse, I started off getting up at 11 am and sleeping at 3 am, then every day i got up a bit later and went to bed a bit later, until eventually I ended up getting up at 10 pm on the monday before the leaving cert and staying up for 24 hours before going to bed to get up for english the next day.

I tend to stay up late, but I'm rubbish at actually going without sleep or any length of time lately, e.g Saturday night when I fell sound asleep on Sico's sofa around 4 am, even though I only got up at 11 am the previous day.

Advertisement