Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh how i love floppys!!!

• 23-08-2001 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A:\ is not accessible

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)</font>
    any known cure??

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, douse it in lighter fluid and burn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Try scandisk the fúcker...otherwise it's a coaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

just to go off-topic - apparently in south africa they call 3.5 inch diskettes "stiffies".
    We found this out a couple of days ago when the new (south african) guy asked one of the lads for a stiffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Crude as it sounds, I've resurected broken disks by sliding back the cover and blowing compressed air into them, while rotating the disk within by hand.

Just plain blow into it if you gots no compressed air... unless you're a spitty person... ;)

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

here is a cure for your problem in 3 easy steps!

1) remove the poptart from the A:\ drive

2) get a zip drive

3) remove any evidence of there ever being a floppy drive anywhere close to the machine.

that should fix it

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I got pretty annoyed with floppies a few months ago, ripped my floppy drive out, binned it, and that's the end of it. I can get everything I need off the net anyway. smile.gif

If you must use floppies, make about three copies of the files you need on it. Not messing, you should!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

This is true phaxx. I remember all too well the agony of having 4 win2k bootdisks, all of which scandisk fine, but then die mysteriously. To get 4 which actually worked in a row took me hours. Argh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

The wonders of bootable cds, eh? Couldn't live without them. I remember doing that, Gerry with NT4. *rolls eyes* That was fun, alright. Another thing that bugged me was the way 9x handles floppies - awfully. System will usually slow to a crawl on floppy access, and, if there's any kind of read error, it'll bluescreen. That's stability for you, eh?

Advertisement