Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling on-board graphics????????

• 24-06-2002 12:47pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok just upgrading a DELL OPTIPLEX G1 and cant find out how to disable the onboard graphics.The pc has a rage 2c chip on board.
    There is no option in the bios for disabling the on-board.Is there a jumper for disabling the on board chip???
    Thanks,
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Usually the jumper is right beside it with some sort of recognisable code to tell it from others.
    between the PCI slots should be the motherboard part no:
    With that you can find the instruction book online for it.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

can you disable it from Device Manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes, click dissable in this/all hardware profiles.

Wont disabling it in Windows cos a conflict on the motherboard itself?
    As its still enabled and if an AGP or PCI graphics card goes in that will create a conflict.
    kdja

Not in my experience no... should be fine... in theory putting in another card will dissable the onboard.. an AGP one anyway.., if its a PCI card it probably will not.. depends on the board. If there are not jumper or bios settings then its your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nope I tried disabling it-apparently its auto-disabled when a new card is inserted(doesnt make sense to me) but yep there is a conflict.The pc is not booting in to windows with the new card installed.I rang dell and apparently the geforce 2 mx is not compatible with the mobo.I went to the dell website and the board info is there under NS22Tsupport reference.Also this board has a riser card on it with the pci and isa slots on it!!
    So it looks like my m8 is back to his voodoo 2.And all he wanted the geforce 2 if so that he can play F1 2001 which is not voodoo 2 compatible.
    Also another problem with this heap is that sometimes when you try to install any program you get the message "such and such is not a valid win32 application"
    Any one seen this before.?
    Specs p2 400
    6.0 gig hard drive
    voodoo 2.
    rage 2 c on board
    win 98 se
    128 mb ram.
    Gallon of petrol and a match is probably the best upgrade for this thing.;)

**Saruman Shudders at the spec**

Eek... systems with risers are generally work systems and not deisigned for games.. i.e "onboard is enough to run excel so feck off and buy a real computer" thats the sort of attitude computer manufacturers take with these! Anyhow sounds like he is screwed.. though you might be able to get a pci card.. there MAY be PC geforces out there but i doubt it... and then some games will require AGP texturing and not work with a pci card... so... actually the computer manufacturers standard response i quoted would apply i think lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sorry Saruman the geforce 2 IS a pci card.But its still causing a conflict and Dell are quite useless at problem solving.I can boot into windows without the geforce in place but when I install it the pc is dead.
    Any idea on the win32 problem?

For his Voodoo problem check out www.wickedgl.com
    its a from of opengl for voodoo ppl a lot of people i know have got voodoo 3 working with wickedgl instead of opengl.

kdja

ah so you can get PCI Geforce 2's that has answered a question i was wondering about... anyway dont be too hard on Dell... you have to realise if they never sold the product they know nothing about it.. as for the actual specs of the mobo and compatibility they will know nothing other than what their screen says... it was not made by them, its an OEM board probably made by intel or some other croud like Jabil... Its like getting a monitor with your Dell... Its probably made by sony, mitsubishi, LG or some other croud... Dell will tell you the max res and so on but if you start asking questions like the radiation output, the horizontal frequency etc they wont have a clue what you mean let alone what the answer is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by richie18
    Sorry Saruman the geforce 2 IS a pci card.But its still causing a conflict and Dell are quite useless at problem solving.I can boot into windows without the geforce in place but when I install it the pc is dead.
    Any idea on the win32 problem?

When you say dead, what exactly do you mean ? Where does it stop and what does it say ?

Gav

Verb-It doesnt stop and I cant see what it says-see below.Ok from the start.I insert the new pci card in the pci slot nearest the cpu-as instructed by Dell.When I boot up the pc(seems to boot up fine,can hear the h/d spinning etc-no error beeps) but without a monitor signal to either the geforce or the onboard card.If I take out the geforce then the on board works fine-has me stumped.Dell have said that the pci card is probably not compatible with the mobo.Btw I have updated the bios and checked the Dell website for any info.
    Thanks
    Richie.

Is there aprt no: between the PCI slots.
    if there is someone might have had that board and might know how to disable the on board.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

It's not one of them Ennis Information Age Town PC's by any chance?

Advertisement