Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unusually high cpu usage

• 24-08-2001 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I was just writeing an email and all of a sudden the cpu went mad!

NT4 sp6a, went into task manager shut down alota stuff but still the usage kept jumpin from 65% - 100%.
    I restarted the machine n appears fine now but its not the first time!

Its a dell optiplex gx110, p3 800mhz so it really shouldn't be happening.

I thought it might be someone runing something from my comp over the lan so i stoped shareing my hd but no change... confused.gif

Anyone come accross this or know why it happens?

p.s. antivirus software is updated regularly, so i douth its a virus...

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Could be your AV software scanning the H/D.
    In task manager go to processes and sort by cpu. Find out what process is hogging your resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Outlook Express 5 used to do that all the time on me on NT4. I'd be reading away and then it would just grab 99% of the CPU time and stay there until I shut down the process. It seems fine on Win2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maybe some sort of caching thing? Is the NT4 version of Outlook (assuming there is a different on) more aggressive with resource hounding then the Win9x/Win2k versions?(again assuming there are differences)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is it workstation or server?

What is the task taking up the memory? Open up task manager and sort by CPU.

Advertisement