Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest RPG ever

Options
  • 24-06-2002 7:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It has to be Final Fantasy Tactics. Anyone got some tips for it cos i'm still stuck in the first chapter. Seymour Flux in Final fantasy X is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Final fantasy5 is very bloody hard,i aint played FF tactics yet tho. Breath of Fire 1 and 2 were also very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Has to be Arcanum basically because of its sheer complexity. You could play the thing 100 times and still not discover everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
    Game was so damn huge, so many side quests but the hardest bit was the dungeons. Biiiig dungeons, no landmarks whatsoever, only clue you had was the dead bodies you'd left behind. Still one helluva wicked game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Pools Of Radiance...The original gold-box one mind, not that crappy new one which should have never even used the POR name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by b4k4^2
    Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
    Game was so damn huge, so many side quests but the hardest bit was the dungeons. Biiiig dungeons, no landmarks whatsoever, only clue you had was the dead bodies you'd left behind. Still one helluva wicked game.

definitely - most of the dungeons were randomly generated i think so you couldn't seek help from walkthroughs. you'd have to find a little chopped off finger in a huge dungeon and you could spend 12 hours looking for it even after you've killed everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Illusion of Time .... man that was so ****ing hard

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Squall
    Has to be Arcanum basically because of its sheer complexity. You could play the thing 100 times and still not discover everything

I would agree with this, I've been playing it for ages and there is still loads I haven't/can no longer see in the game. It's just too much complexity in it.

I did find a money bug though, a certain character in the game you have to shake down for cash for the local brothel. If you select a certain sequence of the conversation he hands over half the cash and then forgets he did it, so you can keep doing it over and over. I kept that up until I clicked the wrong sequence (50k in gold, which didn't last very long).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

FFT was tricky, but there were some characters in it who were so stupidly overpowered that you could basically chuck them into your party and go around mauling anyone in your path. Not really an RPG either, I guess - turn based strategy with RPG elements, I'd have said?

I found FFX very easy, but a lot of fun. The Seymour Flux battle is certainly one of the tougher ones though...

In terms of Hardest RPG EVAR stakes, I'd go for some of the original Phantasy Star titles. I think it was Phantasy Star 2 which basically had you walking outside the village and immediately being blatted senseless, again and again and again... Hard as bloody nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

there was a phantasy star on the master system that I never managed to finish

... Im sure the game was broke :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just beat Seymour Flux. Not to hard if you actually think up a strategy. At the moment FFT is far harder than Breathe of Fire 1 &2 and i haven't played FF5 enough to judge it but it is very tough. I have to just find a way to kill those smegging mages in FFT before the bombard me with magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I just won a FFX game and tshirt but will be giving the game to a mate as it will inevitably take over my life and i cant have the FF7/Leaving Cert Fiasco happen to me again.

Oh well maybe just one go....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF7 almost ruined my leaving cert as well. FF8 almost ruined my semester 1 christmas exams and FF9 almost ruined my summer exams. Thank god i left FFX til after my exams. I just got stuck again in FFX on that horrible teleport boss oh well just means i can waste my life. I'm sorry how could I say that about the most beautiful series of games ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Phantasy Star 2 and 4 were bloody difficult alright.. FF7 was childsplay in comparison.

The title I think goes to LandStalker it had the most viciously infuriating puzzle elements and precision platforming in a wierd isometricperspective. I was sick for 2 months when I was about 12 and I didn't manage to finish it despite playing 8 hours a day. Its saving grave was well written dialogue, story and the fact I liked insanely hard titles when I was younger.

FFT is as valid an RPG as anything else. Shining Force was quite similar. Strategic or Puzzle RPGs are my favourites. Anythingbuit another action RPG with no story (Zelda isn't an RPG - its an action adventure with a few token RPG elements thrown in) or another rehash of the tired FF formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Is Grim Fandango an RPG? Man that game was hard-brilliant though. Discworld. Now that was one hard piece of **** game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Zelda isn't an RPG - its an action adventure with a few token RPG elements thrown in

It's an action RPG. That's a genre all on it's own - includes stuff like Alundra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think he means it takes a degree of skill to play zelda (due to the hand-eye coordination bits), whereas with other rpg's how good you are depends soley on number of hours spent levelling up at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Dungeon Master and Captive on the atari st. if i hadnt played these games as a kid i might have an ounce of sanity left today. ishar was also pretty damn hard. i think captive had an unlimited number of levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Tbh I found Zelda on the n64 hard :eek:. Some parts I might be stuck on for days or in the case of the fecking lost woods, months !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fallout 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

<IDIOT>
    Jet Set Willy
    </IDIOT>

But yeah, Phantasy Star 2 i think it was which i couldn't get anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Another world aka Out of this world.

This game was less than one meg and it was absolutlely brilliant!

Advertisement