Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird nero problem!!

• 24-06-2002 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I was running win2k on my machine, I upgraded harddrive and another few parts and reinstalled it along with nero CD burning software, except now when I am burning a CD while online it cripples my net connection. For example the download speed goes from 4.5Kb/sec to about 0.05Kb/sec. This is only whiel a CD is burning, as soon as nero is done the d/l speed picks up again.

I've tried upgrading IE from 5 to 6 and also i upgraded Nero and am now running 5.5.8.2 This is all very weird as everything worked fine before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have you got DMA enabled on that new hard drive? Is it running in PIO mode?

(to check the first, look in Device Manager, second has settings in the BIOS)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

IDE controllers currently using ultra-DMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Stumped then. It used happen to me (though the speed drop wasn't as dramatic) - went and looked and DMA had disappeared.

Mind you I usually burn at 2x. If you burn at "maximum speed" it's obviously going to use more internal bandwidth (for lack of a better term) and CPU cycles but still shouldn't slow the connction down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I burn at the slowest speed and have had one weird internet related errors.
    Once it was a data cd(some patches and levels for a game) and dloading a file, the file didnt slow but when the dload finished i couldnt find it anywhere.
    I went into every folder on the PC still coudnt find it.
    Guess where it went.
    Onto the CD.
    I left the PC alone while it was burning and copying.
    I have no idea how it happened.
    I started the dload after the Cd had started.
    So i learned not to burn and dload at same time :)
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Strange.

Are the burner and HDD on the same IDE cable.

If so try moving the burner. It shouldn't cause problems anyway but with wierd problems the solution is often strange.

YOu should open the performance meter on the win2k task manager and see if anything wierd happens. Its probably just some wierd software problem.

(I just had to reinstal win2kpro to get a NIC working ffs ;))

• Advertisement
Advertisement