Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Stuff

• 23-08-2001 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

hi,

i have a new DVD Drive for my pc , but when i play my DVD's in it using the provided PowerDVD software they are a slight bit jittery (not smooth). What can i use to fix it?

is there a software that can BACK-UP my DVD's to VCD's so i can play on my older pc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi Superman, PowerDVD is probably the most cpu intensive app out there(for DVD playback), so if you have a cpu <600mhz...this is to be expected...WinDVD and Ravisent Cinemaster put less of a load in my experience...and therefore smoothest playback on slower cpus..
    WinDVD is probably the best DVD software around imho.
    If your cpu is of the gb variety..try closing all apps in the backround, geting latest videocard drivers etc (which is good advice anyhow, in any circumstances)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

2 points:

Point 1:
    If your looking for all things DVD / VCD and any software links you'll need to put stuff on VCD click onto......

http://vcdhelp.com

Also if your looking to get stuff from a DVD to your hard disk, FlaskMpeg [ http://go.to/flaskmpeg ]is the best app for extracting .VOB files

Point 2:
    If your DVD player is cause stuff to jump / jitter etc ( general poor performance?? ), I switched to Power DVD [ http://www.gocyberlink.com ]. Its really user friendly and low resourced. Just a recommendation

Hope these are of help smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 KinG

Got storage ???

Go to www.gamecopyworld.com

Get a DVD ripper, rent u latest greatest movie from whereever and rip away.

Rips DVD movies 3gb in size down to about 700megs, sweet

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I don't think he asked how to rip DVD's besides it is illegal and shouldn't be discussed on these boards.

-Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

ah well, its for backup purposes only, or something smile.gif

Make sure you have dma enabled on your dvd drive. Depending on your os, this may be in the properties for the dvd drive in device manager, or under the properties for the ide controller that the drive is on. If you have a board with a via chipset, get the latest 4-in-1 drivers from www.viahardware.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

thanks for all the help ,

BTW i'm sure it is not illeagal to rip a "back-up" of a dvd once you own it wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

DVD ripping I figure is OK if you have a laptop with no DVD ROM drive, and a stack of originally purchased DVDs, and you have a train journeys.

Converting them into DivX wink.gif and using a single large 700MB file and streaming from the HD saves a LOAD of battery power from now having to run the DVDROM, and if you don't have one, it's a good alternative.

http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/carra2000282/

COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT 2000 - SECT 50
    Fair dealing: research or private study.

50.- (1) Fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work,
    sound recording, film, broadcast, cable programme, or non-electronic
    original database, for the purposes of research or private study, shall not
    infringe any copyright in the work.

(2) Fair dealing with a typographical arrangement of a published edition for
    the purposes of research or private study shall not infringe any copyright in
    the arrangement.

(3) The copying by a person, other than the researcher or private student, is
    not fair dealing where-

(a) in the case of a librarian or archivist, he or she does anything which
    is not permitted under section 63,or

(b) in any other case, the person copying knows or has reason to believe
    that the copying will result in copies of substantially the same
    material being provided to more than one person at approximately the
    same time and for substantially the same purpose.

(4) In this Part, ''fair dealing'' means the making use of a literary,
    dramatic, musical or artistic work, film, sound recording, broadcast,
    cable programme, non-electronic original database or typographical arrangement
    of a published edition which has already been lawfully made available to the
    public, for a purpose and to an extent which will not unreasonably prejudice
    the interests of the owner of the copyright.

(5) In this Part, the following acts are not fair dealing-

(a) converting a computer program expressed in a low level computer
    language into a version expressed in a higher level computer language,
    or

(b) copying a computer program in an incidental manner in the course of
    converting that program.

So I guess it's okay as long it's for research or private study. This is the new copyright law that came into effect from January 1st 2001

Also, there is NO provision in Ireland for backing up or the "home-use" act in US copyright law. DMCA doesn't stop you copying something for home use, it just forbids you to make the attempt if the final data is encrypted and you make a decryptor.

If you copy a CD, it is for FAIR USE FOR PRIVATE STUDY, under Section 50 of the 2000 copyright act. Remember it wink.gif

Make sure to turn in your exam papers at the end of class.........

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 23-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KinG:

Get a DVD ripper, rent u latest greatest movie from whereever and rip away.
    </font>

I'm nearly sure that's illegal smile.gif

yeah i still can't find one that works, caus i got windows 2000

plz help frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

I know this is kinda off topic but the thread was kinda going this way.

Down in Australia there are places where you can go that rent games, DVDs, Music (everything). It is also legal to copy these items while you have them. How does this crazy system work?

Well what you do is, lets say you see "Hanibal" on DVD. What you do is buy it off them for say $30. You are now the owner of the disk and can make backups of it for yourself, because it's yours. The next day you go back to the shop and they buy the original back off you for say $28. Thus costing you only $2 for the new DVD. This idea is really popular down there and is completely legal. But then again it is like file trading software, in which it's just another way to bend the rules while still in the confines of the legal system.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

What CPU/Ram/HDD config do you have?

What quality options have you enabled in PowerDVD?

Are you using any of it's Hardware acceleration options?

have you followed Gerry's advice and checked that you have the correct busmaster drivers installed and DMA enabled for the device? In Win2k Right click on MY COMPUTER go to HARDWARE / Device Manager / IDE Controllers. Double click the controller the DVD is on (Presumably Secondary) and make sure TRANSFER MODE is 'DMA If Possible'. If you have to change to this then apply it all and reboot. Go back to the same section and make sure Current Transfer Mode is now DMA or Ultra DMA. If not check your BIOS/IDE SETTINGS to make sure DMA is not disabled there, also double check those IDE/Busmaster drivers as all chipsets within the last 3 years at least should be capable of DMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Superman:

i have a new DVD Drive for my pc , but when i play my DVD's in it using the provided PowerDVD software they are a slight bit jittery (not smooth). What can i use to fix it?
    </font>

Try adjusting the refresh rate of the screen to a multiple of the frame rate of the DVD (right click on the desktop, properties, screen, advanced; or something like that.). For PAL DVDs use a refresh or 75Hz or 100Hz. For NTSC DVDs use 90Hz or 120HZ (or if you use 3:2 pulldown reconstruction, 72Hz or 96Hz).

Most computers seem to come preconfigured to 72Hz, which will rarely give a smooth picture.

i have a p2 400,256 ram, 20 gb hd, (does NTFS matter?)

i don't know how to set hardware acceleration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Moose:
    Also, there is NO provision in Ireland for backing up or the "home-use" act in US copyright law. DMCA doesn't stop you copying something for home use, it just forbids you to make the attempt if the final data is encrypted and you make a decryptor.</font>
    Red Moose, you are making no sense. The DMCA is in US-specific copyright law. US-specific copyright law (both federal and state) does not apply here; only Irish, European and "international" copyright law applys. Therefore, your sentence was pointless, and quite obvious. US-law doesn't have to, and indeed cannot, set laws for other countries.

I was making the point because someone mentioned that making "backups" of what you own is OK; I thougth it was relevant to say that there is zero provision for making home backups in Irish law.

And obviously mentioning the US situation where there is is utterly relevant because exactly that has been assumed by people posting above. For example, Superman said he was sure it wasn;t ilegal to make a backup if it's for your own use, but NO, that is US law.

And if you spend considerable time on the net and reading all the chaos about MP3s and copying and DeCSS you see that even here on this board people presume there is a US equivalent law in Ireland regarding home-use backup recording.

Now do you see why I made that sentence? Also, the EU are most likley going to introduce something to the effect of the DMCA within around 5 years I would say. It's been on the cards for a long time since 1998 when Clinton passed it.

So in essence it was not pointless because people had already assumed there was a "backup" but in Irish law, and have confused it with US law. That was why I mentioned it and DMCA; I was trying to provide the relevant section of Irish law to people.

Also, check out EU law and DMCA on Google. There's a load of info there if you want to read up on what's actually happening.

So:

1. You cannot legally make backups of songs, videos whatever you own in Ireland. You can in the US.

2. People posted here presuming you could, probably because US copyright stuff is all over the net.

3. I mentioned that Irish law had a different provision (research and private study)

4. I mentioned DMCA because if people presumed that they could make backups like in US law, but here, they might also presume DMCA may apply.

5. And it may very well do under a different name in the EU if you read the many many articles on it.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 23-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Superman, unfortunately your machine is slightly under the threshold for perfectly smooth dvd, at least with powerdvd. Powerdvd is one of the more cpu intensive players, however, it is the only one I could get working in windows 2000 frown.gif Under windows 98, dvd's were perfect on my old p3 450 clocked to 504, in powerdvd.

Hopefully someone will be able to suggest a method for getting windvd or cinemaster working in win2k.

Red Moose? Read the first sentence I quoted. Now, tell me how on earth that means what you said?

If what you now say is what you meant really is so, then tell me... how can the sentence you wrote be taken as that? The sentence you wrote (the first quoted) makes no sense.

The most recent versions of WinDVD and Cinemaster both work in win2k, but unfortunately Superman the 400mhz isn't likely to cut it in that OS. You may be able to get pretty good playback in win98se though.
    A video card with some dvd optimisation such as the ati 128 series of cards have (don't know about the more recent ones, radeons etc)will help big time. But without a hardware decoder (such as the Hollywood) forget about it in win2k, sorry frown.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Red Moose? Read the first sentence I quoted. Now, tell me how on earth that means what you said?

If what you now say is what you meant really is so, then tell me... how can the sentence you wrote be taken as that? The sentence you wrote (the first quoted) makes no sense.
    </font>

This is the first sentence you quoted:
    "Also, there is NO provision in Ireland for backing up or the "home-use" act in US copyright law."

OK, ****ing shoot me, I forgot to put an "as" in there. The sentence should read:
    "Also, there is NO provision in Ireland for backing up or the "home-use" act, as in US copyright law.

Now do you understand? Is it spelled out enough for you? People here talking about backing up being OK, but in Ireland it isn't (and the misconception comes from reading about US law so much).

And on topic: Power DVD runs fine on my P3-500. No dropped frames, etc., . If you are feeling adventurous and don't want to spend money, you can also get perfect 25fps (or whatever PAL runs at) DVD playing under X-Windows by using Xine or OMS.

I think anything above a P2-350 is needed to get DVDs running smoothly (assuming no dedicated hardware decoder).

Thank you. Version two of the sentence made sense, the first did not. But I responded to what you originally posted, not what you just have... and therefore, what I said - in reply to the first - was apt, for that is the nearest to sense I could draw from that.

• Advertisement

VERSION ONE OR TWO, THE FIRST BIT, OR WAS IT THE SECOND..I DISAGREE WITH BUT ON THE IINTIAL POINT WELL I JUST AM LOST

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Thank you. Version two of the sentence made sense, the first did not. But I responded to what you originally posted, not what you just have... and therefore, what I said - in reply to the first - was apt, for that is the nearest to sense I could draw from that.</font>

OK! I promise to read all my posts before submitting them! wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I am also havin' problems with windows 2k professional. my problem is enhanced because i also have a creative dvd kit with the remote and none of the stuff works, does anyone know if there are any windows 2k updates available anywhere?

thanks for da help lad smile.gif

we(royal) thank you

Advertisement