Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US 30% Have Broadband (Ireland .3%)

Options
  • 25-06-2002 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

This country is losing its relative competitivity at an awful rate.

In the US it is predicted that 50% of all users will be ON Broadband within 2 years.....early 2004 to be precise. This means 200kbps and above and not 64k as per the marketing muppets in Eircon.

Note that the Telcos are not the way to go in an advanced economy or so it seems, the Cable Companies carry 2 outta 3 Broadband connections.

The survey use the word CONNECTIONS rather than the crap we hear about HOUSEHOLDS from our incumbent operators here. A household is a potential rather than an actual consumer and may contain a blind granny with no computer for.....which is why Eircon includes them in their target demographic no doubt.

We are primitive here compared to any of our competitors in the global knowledge economy......the number of broadband connections is well under 1% of Internet using households.

Figures I have heard are:

400,000 households use the internet

1,500 households currently have ADSL or Cable Modems .......all in Dublin somewhere......that may be nearer a whopping .4% than .3% but is still the lowest in Western Europe.

I haven't even started on the subject of SDSL or HDSL leased lines T1 equivalents...the traditional leased line as it were.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

This country has always been backward.
    this is because its run on BULL and not the red kind either.
    Where all pissing against the wall here, and if people here finaly get broadband.. i feel it will be by other means an not errcum or its croney re-sellers. its just gonna take longer and it probably wont happen this year either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Find attached the European Competative Telecoms DSL scorecard.

Now lads I ask you to bear in mind that ADSL has just become available here, I know everyone is pissed off, but there has been too much negativity lately, and it doesn't help.

As time goes one the figures you are pointing at will continue to improve, now I am not suggesting for one moment that at the prohibitive price ADSL is currentily pegged at, it will ever achieve the same levels of penetration as in other countries.

I would dispute the Cable figures, have a look at the scorecard, NTL reports that they have an 11 percent take up of Cable Modems in areas where they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Muck
    This country is losing its relative competitivity at an awful rate.

In the US it is predicted that 50% of all users will be ON Broadband within 2 years.....early 2004 to be precise. This means 200kbps and above and not 64k as per the marketing muppets in Eircon.

As people (including myself) have said time and time again .... within 3 years this country will be uncompetitive from an e-perspective. And yet the government fails to grasp this single basic, yet utterly sobering, concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Figures.

Am I right in saying that NTL only pass 6000 homes with cable capable of carrying bi directional data

Chorus can be disregarded, they offer nothing to anybody except snowy BBC pictures.

11% of 6000 is circa 660 households

Eircom would be pushed to exceed 1000 connections.

Wireless providers are hardly in the 100's, even lumpiing Vsats in there.

I would be confident of my man who said 1600 broadband connections. Not till we reach 4000 will be into single digits for broadbancd connections..... NTL are not upgrading any other households this year as far as I know.

Jawzus

M

Then where does the 52,000 cable connections on the ECTA scorecard come from ?

I suppose for their figure to match with NTLs,
    1/2 million homes would have to access to Cable Internet. I suppose i could drop them a mail, querying their figures.

• Advertisement

AFAIK not even 52000 households in Ireland have digital TV by cable....most are on analogue. 52000 may be the most optimistic scenario.

It ain't the same as having a cable internet service though.

Someone must be reading marketing guff again and passing it off as a factoid.

M

Sending them an email now,
    how certain are you about the number of home with Cable internet ?

Figures.....

....only 6000 homes in south west Dublin are capable of having a Cable modem installed and working, I am really sure of that. No cable upgrades have taken place in over a year either as far as I know.

11% of that is 660

(660 is less than 0.2% of Internet using households in Ireland)

M

ok, I have sent them a mail ...

Your call is very important to us, please hold the line.
    Dear Mr Kinsella

I have forwarded this and your last e-mail to Mr John Dickie, our Regulatory
    Affairs Director.

Kind regards

Marcus Benson

• Advertisement

My colleague, Jonna Byskata, tells me that the data was provided by by
    Cullen International, the telecoms consultancy. It might be that they are
    confusing another category of connection - any help you can give ECTA in
    getting the right numbers for cable (a particularly tricky task we find)
    would be appreciated.

John Dickie
    Regulatory Affairs Director
    European Competitive Telecommunications Association

Tel: +44 (0)118 979 3331
    Email: jdickie@ectaportal.com

Who are Cullen International (http://www.cullen-international.com/) ?

Can I send this guy a response and get the numbers changed to be something a bit more realistic. Does anyone have the proper numbers ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can I send this guy a response and get the numbers changed to be something a bit more realistic. Does anyone have the proper numbers ?

The ODTR should have the correct numbers MDR. Have a go yourself, and if you have no luck I'll try and get in touch with NTL and Cablesurf to get numbers off them.

[ I find the assertion that the numbers for cable are hard to find a little naive, at least in Ireland. We only have a few cable operators, and only two of them supply broadband... ]

adam

Yo!

Does anybody actually know someone who has and uses the Chorus service which is 'available' to some homes in Swords and Malahide. It has been around for almost 2 Years now.

I have heard nothing about this recently except that it was a metered product about a year ago.

I am bu no means the first to ask this question, follow this link to see a Potted history of

Chorus And Lies about Broadband

I see no improvement since that thread was posted either.
    They have lied about wireless in Limerick. They are 'allegedly' going 'live' in Kilkenny .....Again by the end of this week!

Find me one Chorus Broadband customer with 512 down and 128 up. It does not exist and never has. In fairness to Eircom they have rolled out a product that works whatever the cost implications may be. Chorus probably told yer man Cullen that they had 40,000 connections .accouting for most of his stats.

The poor eeejit musta thought they were a reputable cable company.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Muck
    Find me one Chorus Broadband customer with 512 down and 128 up. It does not exist and never has.
    I know 3 people using their 'Powernet' wireless broadband package. Up until the begining of this month it was unmetered. They have apparently begun to meter usage from June. The connection is 512/256kbit, actually increasing to a few mbit during the early hours of the morning etc.

<Edit: they have each had the service for over a year>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Cullen International are members of ECTA - maybe they did the survey for free to boost their internal profile....
    Cor they are an impressive bunch - Namur, Oslo a few other boondocks, no contact names and a dead link to http://www.icgroup.ie/. as their knowledge of Irish user groups. I hope the ODTR and no Irish media are paying them any heed - or ECTA for that matter.
    By the way who are ECTA themselves? I have never heard of them - they charge £Sterling membership fees - must be core Europeans so..

I don't really know who the ECTA (European Competive Telecoms Assocation) is, i hope to find out in the course of the conversation I am having with the guy, see if they can help us in any way.

Thanks for the heads up..

3 wireless customers (in Limerick ...right) exist. I stand corrected.

Is there anybody on Cable with Chorus then.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

first i have seen of this post or i would have posted earlier...

i am one of those chorus broadband customers and can only see great things about it. I am sorry that it is not in your area, but please don't post trash talking when you seem to have little to zero facts. you are doing newbies to this forum a disservice by bashing a company that untill recently was the ONLY company in ireland to offer a stable, compettitve broadband solution.

can I have someone wired please....not in Limerick

M

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by MDR
    Sending them an email now,
    how certain are you about the number of home with Cable internet ?

NTL says it had 371,500 customers here at the end of March, of whom 15,700 are digital tv subscribers. It also has 4,600 telephone subscribers here and 1,900 high speed internet customers.

http://new.businessandfinance.ie/sectors.htm?a=463802

Tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Hey guys i live in limerick how much would it cost to get the chorus thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

3? getalife. take your bitterness elsewhere. i dont work for them so i dont know numbers but i have put 10 businesses/friends on to them. they have run out of modems twice that i know of in the last year and a half...get you facts from a reliable source.

Hi

NTL have been quoted as saying that 11% of customer in areas technically capable of cable modem deployment have taken that service.

Timod linked a story stating that this number was 1900 customers.

As NTL have only upgraded their cable in parts of south west Dublin this means that they have upgraded 17250 homes in these areas ....allegedly.....

11 % of 17250 = 1900 per the Business and Finance Article.

I do not believe that they have upgraded this many homes in Dublin 6w 22 and 24 in the first place and would therefore question the other figures too. Information from a good source of mine suggests that the number of homes in ireland capable of Cable Modem deployment today ....for all cable operators... is 6000.

In short I believe that the number of Broadband cable connections in the country is in the 100's and not in the 1000's

That is because I do not believe marketing and PR people.

M

OK

On the 16/04/2002

NTL had 165 cable customer outta 1500 possible homes 11%

On the 12/06/2002

This had Increased to 1900 but 'BY THE END OF MARCH'

Does this mean that the number of 'high speed' NTL customers dropped from 1900 to 165 in a fortnight between the end of March and the middle of April or does it just help show the amount of lies and guff that the Telcos have peddled over broadband. I am really impressed at how NTL are going from 1500 to 25000 by the end of the year.......go NTL!

As I like ENN it seems that there were 165 Broadband Cable Modems in Use in Ireland as of the 16/04/2002 because I have no evidence that Chorus had anybody wired and working at that point.

Add a few ADSL trialists and we have a figure in the low 100's for wired broadband users.

Pick a number for Limerick for Wireless then! That was sum total 2 months ago.

M

Dear Mr. Kinsella

Thank you for your email.

The current total number of Cable Modems in the Republic of Ireland is
    about 300.

Kind regards,

Suzanne Behan

FYI : Reply from the ODTR on the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Three HUNDRED! Ye gods!

adam

Dear James,

Thank you very much for your information! I will definitely check with Ireland Offline
    before the next scorecard is published, which will be end of July!!

Best regards,

Jonna Byskata

FYI : From the ECTA

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

300 Hundred Cable Modems after how many years, thats a bloody disgrace !!!

Chorus & NTL should be made remove Cable Internet from their offerings as those aren't even trial levels of users.

At this stage they should have their licenses removed for the delay in rolling this out. Only in Ireland.

Gandalf.

At this stage they should have their licenses removed for the delay in rolling this out. Only in Ireland.

Wouldn't help in the slightest, who would take over from them ?

I am not sure what is needed ...

• Advertisement

.........don't shoot the messenger

How many dsl and wireless to add to this whopping figure?

M

Advertisement