Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US 30% Have Broadband (Ireland .3%)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

How many dsl and wireless to add to this whopping figure?

The figure includes wireless :rolleyes:

The ECTA's figures say zero for DSL but they date from just before its release in April. I am not sure the ODTR would have those figures yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Sum of

Cable NTL s/w Dubin

+

Cable Chorus Malahide/Swords :)

+

Wireless Chorus Limerick

= 300

The only other Broadband services WORKING are

Eircom Dublin
    Leap Dublin (brand new...south city centre only so far)

along with some VSATs who are not obliged to publish any figures to the ODTR

I am minded to think that 1000 covers the lot or 0.25% of internet using households while assuming that there are 400k households on the net to some degree.

My man (who is in the know) may have included firm orders for cable/dsl not actually installed yet but in the pipeline....which brings us to 1600.

If we hit 1% by Christmas I will be amazed....thats 4000 broadband connections people.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hang on a second Muck, didn't the ODTR say "cable modems". That would surely exclude the wireless customers. And what about Cablesurf in Waterford?

adam

MDR seemed (to me) to say that this included wireless.

Could he 'clarify' a bit as to the replies he received to his enquiries over the past few days?

M

Muck,

I received two responses, one from the ODTR whom I asked how many cable internet connections are there in the Republic of Ireland, the response was about 300 . The ODTR did not give specific numbers.

A friend in the know also supplied figures similar to the ODTR, he put the figure at 254 and he broke them down as follows.

NTL 174
    CHORUS 10
    FIXED WIRELESS ACCESS 70.

• Advertisement

my mate is an optimist

M

...when I quoted this figure based on data from a 'friend' in the 'know' I was satisfied he was telling the truth.

it seems he was basing his info on knowledge of the installers and of the work they have on so he was quoting the pipeline as well as the installed base.

600-700 =

MDR's hard figure 184 Cable 70 Wireless

+

anything installed since

+

orders to be fulfilled in the next month or so

(and not including whatever Leap does, hopefully 1000's a week

:) )

M

I hope there isn't 1000's ,
    I hope they don't get enough subscribers to any of the broadband services, so they have to drop their price to something more finacially viable.

Thanks MDR

I would like the takeup on flat rate services to dramatically exceed capped products....especially where there is a choice.

Once the capped merket is dead then I would like to see open competition on price (quick and downwards) for the uncapped products.

..I would like all of this sorted out by the end of August :) this year not 2008.

With broadband penetration at less than 0.3% Nationally it is a matter of urgency that something is done fast or we will suffer a massive drop in inward investment owing to our primitive and uncompetitive telecommunications environment.

Allied to this we will also see a disproportionate (to our competitors) shrinkage in our high tech base as employers who depend on advanced comms close their operations where these are not available....especially after listening to all the lies and broken promises from the sleeveens who provide telecomms services in this country.

This week we have reduced cable modem penetration rates from 520000 (consultants) to 19000 (pr rubbish) to 200 (REALITY) simply by drilling into the FACTS

A good example of an employer who gave up on a location owing not least to the promises-reality gap in telecomm services is where Logica completely pulled out of Cork this week.

At the same time the cost of a fibre STM1 (155Mb symmetric) has dropped by 50% or more betwen London-Spain and London-Frankfurt this year alone . Distance is becoming less of a problem except for we Irish for whom it should not be a problem at all.

If we have not woken up to the sound of the rug being pulled it will be too late by the end of the year. A pattern will be set by then.

Roll on the Communications (amendment) Act 2002

M

that would be 52000 (Fifty Two Thousand)

as linked in by MDR in this file

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

This :
    This week we have reduced cable modem penetration rates from 520000 (consultants) to 19000 (pr rubbish) to 200 (REALITY) simply by drilling into the FACTS

is something to raise on our trip through EU land.

Its incredible and something we have suspected for a long time now.

Yo!

It would be a great help if someone like Karlin Lillington or similar actually rang around the various Telcos and checked these real figures and then published them .........

...it may stop slobbo journos from publishing PR crap ...unckecked...as given facts.

A state of the Digital nation report as it were.

Keep up the good work y'all

M

Perhaps we should compile our own press release, my source suggests the ODTR is going to release the information you are talking about earily next month.

We should grab the info then and shout as loudily as we can about it, drawing comparison with other EU nations.

Advertisement