Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat kindly reduce phone charges but completely ignore the internet.

Options
  • 25-06-2002 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

The nice people at esat fusion have cut evening residential calls to match weekend rates. Which is nice. Except i would so much rather you had cut internet rates on you bloody subscription service as an interim sweetner since FRIACO is not available. I am sick of hearing it's only x.xxc p/min to use the net. It is death by a thousand cuts when you take into account voice/rental/subscription/net calls/mobile bills. While you are waltzing around the issue of FRIACO esat reduce the charges or increase the time allowed for the charge. And if it is Eircom setting the charge re negotiate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

ESAT cannot introduce FARCIO with Eircom Wholesale making the product available to them first.

Look at their history,

1. They tried to introduce FARCIO but found it be unstainable, wasn't really their fault. NTL failed here as well, so the problem really isn't at the OLO end.
    2. They have the lowest internet call charges in the county.

I just wonder why they have priced their own ADSL so highly, can anyone help me out on this one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

And Eircom will not make wholesale available until pressurised to do so. My point well missed is that FRIACO or any net issue (excepting the almighty broadband and even there not as much as we would like) is not a priority with esat. They openly are saying the want commercial highly profitable accounts. We ordinary users have nobody behind us. And no regulation or social responsibilty to back us up. Esat have tried. But it is not something they really seem to be working on unlike broadband.

They openly are saying the want commercial highly profitable accounts. We ordinary users have nobody behind us. And no regulation or social responsibilty to back us up. Esat have tried. But it is not something they really seem to be working on unlike broadband.

Ah apologies,

I mis-read your message ...
    I would agree that provision of lo-cost Residential Internet Access would not be high on their list, as it's not that profitable (case in point, the number of BT Wholesale FARCIO Resellers that are going under at the minute), and the comercially end of the market would be more accessable for them and more profitable.

The regulatory I feel has alot to do in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Correction:-

The ODTR has said that fraico can only be introduce when a party has made application for it, regardless of who wishes to apply.

Therefore, if esat wish to apply they can without waiting for errcom,
    (this is according to the ODTR)
    so whats the delay??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I wish I knew! Do you think extensive use of an uzi might make a difference lol.

• Advertisement

Very good question ?

However I feel, I get the feeling that it is not a matter any more of if they will request, rather when will they request this service ...

And once requested what will the ODTR do ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The ODTR has said that fraico can only be introduce when a party has made application for it, regardless of who wishes to apply.

This isn't exactly right. It essentially works like this: If an retail operator wants a wholesale operator to make a new product available, they have to open negotiations with the wholesaler to try and develop a suitable product. If the negotiations go well, the product is developed and everyone's happy. If they don't go well, the retail operator has the option of filing a complaint with the ODTR. Esat maintain that they have been attempting to negotiate a FRIACO-style product for some time, however we cannot prove this, since the negotiations between operators can remain private. All we actually know for certain is that Esat have not filed a complaint with the ODTR about this. No operator has.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

So essencialy.. the ODTR is there to settle disputes and not to facilitate the introduction of FRAICO?
    Does`nt That make the ODTR practicaly USELESS!!??
    (Essencialy a BEAR With no TEETH!)
    And once requested what will the ODTR do ?

The OTDR will do what it did do before, exercise its only! power in this matter, which is to set the "Wholesale price"

Considering the "Retail!" cannot be equal to or lower than the "wholesale" price, then it is important that the whole sale price is as low as it will go.

I would recommend it don't go any Higher than €10.oo then we may look forward to €30 pm inc vat.

Remembering this is the ODTR`s only! power to impose I would also recommend they impose with the utmost! persistence, unlike the previous effort which left no real room for manoeuvre

Advertisement