Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US PS2 problem

Options
  • 25-06-2002 1:07pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought a PS2 in the States. Of course it can only run US discs and he is greatly disappointed.

He has asked around in a few places to try and get it "chipped" with no luck.

Anyone else know of a solution. Its a rather expense door-stop at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There are also a load of them advertised in buy and sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Chipping US PS2s to run original PAL discs is a bit of a git of a procedure, and the required chips (Messiah) aren't that common.

One place which I can vouch for that does the procedure is The Barras in Glasgow (www.thebarras.com I think) - send your machine by courier or whatever, they chip it and send it back. Takes a few days and costs about £120 total, but this is from the UK; doing it from Ireland is presumably slower, and quite possibly so expensive that it'd be about the same price to buy a PAL PS2 (they're only £199 these days).

NOBODY will do you a PS2 chip for the £20 or so it used to cost to do a PSone chip, for the simple reason that chipping a PS2 is infinitely more difficult, requiring microsoldering gear and a lot of experience, not to mention that the chips themselves are a lot more expensive.

Advertisement