Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ethernet?

Options
  • 25-06-2002 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

i go this paper from chorus saying their minimum requirements for a cable internet triaal are the usual ...etc except for one that says Ethernet: Network interface
    what is this and whats it mean. Do they expect me to have a card already instaled or just to have a slot for a card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

In order to get internet connections via cable you need a cable modem. Cable modems (correct me if im wonrg) are usually ethernet, i.e. they connect to your computer using a network lead. This means that your pc would have to have a network card installed in it. Then you simply connect your cable modem to the network card in your pc.

Im not sure if they supply you with a card, probably not, so your best bet is to pick one up yourself. They can be bought in most computer stores for no more that €20-30. They are simple to install and windows should automatically pick up the new card and install drivers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes what lynchie said is bang on.. its only a network card.. plain and simple.. what you need to find out is what nic interface their modem uses.. i.e when cablelink were testing they used composite connector.. modern broadband is RJ45 (like a big telephone lead!). Anyway if its RJ45 pick up a card from maplin for €16, i got one there at the weekend.
    Oh if your not sure then get a combo with both connections

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

ok so ill take a look at that
    On a slightly different note is chorus cable worth getting
    if theirs a 3gb cap do they enforce it and if they did is it really worth it if they do?
    i need a thing that monitors the amount of data downloaded to the pc i supose if there one free going? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

The Ethernet issue also arises on Win95 connecting to ADSL. Win2k and XP both support USB connection to the dslmodembut win95 doesn't support this and thus needs an ethernet card to mask what going on from the OS (it just sees another network connection). SO it's likely that they want to uncouple whatever protocols/signalling schemes they'll use on the cable interface from any need to supply drivers and support for specific OS's so they just source a "modem" which works for them but wil lroute from a plain ethernet connection on one side to their Cable networkon the other and Voila low maintenance/support cablenetworking. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

plz post more info. whay exactly is Chorus offering? is it over the MMDS network? how much is it? what region's?

It's only 01:09 and customer support is not picking up the phone any more......bãstãrds!

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

I dont know what exactly their offering. ill have to find out tomorow. since their site is so helpful and their documentation they sent out forgot to mention. But i expect its 512kbs going on price.
    It costs 50 euros. Its not over mmds. regions are kilkenny and thurles or at least kilkenny.

Ill need to ring them and tell them that my tv isnt showing anything but snowy fuzz. Which will get the standard response of.. if the fault is not ours you will have to pay a call out fee. But madame dominatrix how many times have you had people out here and it was your fault?

value for money i ask? if its a 3gb cap i aint to sure......

i also expect to be told it was all a mistake and i cant get it after all

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

All the web pages will have snow on them.
    Seriously tho, if you're TV reception is bad then this will probably lead to a bad connection for the internet.

Advertisement