Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefects

Options
  • 25-06-2002 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Who has prefects in their school?

What are their duties?

Who is one?

The reason i ask is because i got a letter from my headmaster saying i am become one in sept.

Our prefects do feck all, but then they've feck all to do...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

this is prob a stupid question but what are prefects? dont know if i had them my school when i was there. what should they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

In my school prefects were elected by their fellow pupils.
    They controled the canteen que,watched the in/out gate and made sure no one left school grounds. They also locked the doors at lunchtimes etc.
    Basically they are there to help the smooth running of the school.

you give up a load of your time for it tho. Good to have on a cv.

Afaik you can refuse if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ah, ok.... there was no prefects in my school.
    dont think they are in any of the secondry schools around me.
    In my school prefects were elected by their fellow pupils.
    my school was more like a dictatorship
    They controled the canteen que
    didnt have a canteen :(
    watched the in/out gate and made sure no one left school grounds. They also locked the doors at lunchtimes etc.
    we were like free range chickens at lunch time, we could leave the school and go do what ever we wanted (within reason of course).
    P.E was a different story. the teachers would try to cover the entrance/exit gates because we would try to go home instead of playing sports. it was a friday evening and very few ever wanted to stay around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I was given the option in the letter of declining the post, but in the interests of my Cv i decided to accept.

Our prefects got a badge. wonder if i'll get one.

no real duties afaik....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

prefects in my school also got a prefect room. was a cottage type building at thr front gate away from the school. Was nice till it *somehow* was burned down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I was a prefect, we did sod all of any use all year, taking role in the morning at assembly was about the height of it. Oh and me and another guy had to take out the PA system every morning. I was also in charge of the tuck shop, but they replaced it with vending machines after a month so that was easy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

tbh what da hell is the advantage of doing this? you seem to give up free time in school = big no no. For your cv? i've kept getting told my lc results are going to count **** all for my cv so how da hell should this be any different(infact i imagine count for a hell of alot less...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

it shows you held a position of responsibility in secondary school.
    you seem to give up free time in school

because in the past prefects in my school did sod-all, you could hardly say that they gave up free time.
    I was a prefect, we did sod all of any use all year

same with mills

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

it shows you held a position of responsibility in secondary school.

and if yer results from second level count for sod all this is going to be so much better????

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Yeah I was a prefect too.
    I was a class prefect-just meant I took the role and got the class probs and brought them to a teacher.

Then I was a Prefect(sports).Got a badge, had to arrange games at lunch time and supervise them, hold competitions etc. Done loads of stuff-really time consuming- tennis-table tennis-badminton-soccer you name it. Was a good laugh though.Dossed a good bit of the time, then pretended to work when a teacher walked by! haha
    Got a free lunch too! it was deadly craic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement