Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Anime to get???

Options
  • 25-06-2002 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

finally got around to gettin the akira dvd
    now any thoughts on which one to get next
    out of these choices
    ninja scroll
    perfect blue
    ghost in the shell
    princess mononoke
    ????
    or anythin else i havent mentioned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I brought perfect blue and I quite like it

I warn you its a break from the norm of anime though, but very good none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

GHOST IN THE SHELL!!!!

tbh I haven't seen any of the others, although I've heard Princess Monoke is good too. But Ghost (or GITS as I like to call it) rocks. Buy it. Now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

erm, I'd suggest going for a series rather than a film ... but that's just me

evangelion, love hina, cowboy bebop.. all great series, all available on DVD (cheap enough online too)

for the films.. I have ninja scroll here on dvd.,, it's not bad, it's not great. there's nothing about it that grabs me as being "amazing" but it's a good film.

I';ve only seen the dubbed ghost in the shell, (dub sucks), but the film is pretty cool and it's got a nice story, (although the manga is probably better).

princess mononoke and perfect blue I've never seen, but i'vfe heard P.M. isn't bad. haven't heard toss about p.blue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Get Neon Gensis Evangelion best thing i have ever seen ;) you can get a box set of all the series on DVD (its a few regons i think) from the net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, it's a hundred and twnty dollars or something on amazon.com i think, for the dvd "perfect" box set.
    metal case and all

whereas this http://www.discountanimedvd.com/dvd_detail.asp?dvdno=282
    has the entire series, and the movies air and Death+rebirth, neither of which have been released on dvd over here yet.

thje only thing about this set is that they are HK dvds, no english dubs. and sometimes the subs are not perfect.
    but dubs are generally ****e anyway, and I've heard bad things about the evangelion one.
    and subs are only really needed to ge the meaning across, a lil mistake here and there is acceptable.. specially for the price that it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Id highly recommend Princess Mononoke....

hell, most anime rocks, so much good stuff out there, welcome to an expensive hobby. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Whatever you do, make sure you get Princess Mononoke. Its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea GITS & Ninja Scroll are damn good, any in that list would be a good choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

I was well impressed by Ninja Scroll, thought it was great. You can't beat scene's like where a guy gets headbutted about 15 times in a row until his face is non-existent, tickled my violent tendencies it did :D
    As for the rest, I seen a trailer for Ghost in a Shell and it looked great. Also, try getting your hands on the three Cyber City Oedo 808 movies, especially the second one because they are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

The Macross Plus compilation dvd came out recently. If transforming robotic fighter planes, virtual pop stars and awkward love triangles tickle your fancy then you give it a go. It should'nt disappoint :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ninja Scrolls and Oedo 808 are good.

Appleseed is good, although its not being released on DVD until the 22nd July.

As is the Macross Saga (not macross plus .. THE original which spawned it). Bear in mind that the Macross saga contains 3 (generations) series, spanning 7 dvd boxed sets of 3/4 dvds each. It's rather tame by today's anime standards, but bearing in mind this was early/mid-80s. The plot lines are astounding, and the characters are very well developed and interact well.

Also, if you're looking for something truly disturbing, check out "Wicked City" (I think it is) ... humans vs. demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Would anyone know where I can buy manga bishoujo games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Out of what you said, I'd go for perfect blue, but I haven't seen Mononoke or Ninja Scroll.But I'd agree with Mordeth, go for a series. I like Saber Marionette J. Also, Love Hina, Trigun, Evangelion, and many others. There's a lot of really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

id go for GITS. But has anyone been able to find the movie version of The Fist of the North Star on DVD ? I have to admit, i love that film, also did anyone out their enjoy the 3x3 Eyes Vids ? Probably all think im a plonker, but I really enjoyed those too.

Saw Golgo13 in HMV on DVD last weekend, couldnt believe it, i was a huge manga fan 6 years ago, buying and renting like mad, only from Virgin and Chartbusters. And now finally HMV sells them!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

I don't recall Manga Ent. ever releasing Fist of the North on R2 DVD but you can be pretty certain it's on their future release schedule (they're bringing out Appleseed on DVD for fek's sake like!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If anyone recommands X to you say NO! it is disconnected and rubbish. Uhmm i have to agree get series. My recommands would be Macross plus, Tenchi Muyo (OVA box set is very good) Trigun or Cowboy beebop. For films Ghost in the shell is good but short, Ninja scroll, all i remember is it being violent, Perfect blue is meant to be good. P.M (never can be arsed spelling) I've been told is good but havnt seen it myself. Have you tried Patlabour 1 or 2? they are by the guy who did Ghost in the shell they are pretty good.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Actually, does anyone know where I could get Project A-ko on DVD in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd go for Mononoke out of that lot, for certain; it's one of the best films ever made, anime or otherwise. That said, given some stuff you've said previously about anime I'm not sure it's your bag - GitS might be more like it. Mononoke is quite thoughtful and unusual, it's certainly not balls-out cyberpunk action like GitS... :)

Advertisement