Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP for Linux

Options
  • 25-06-2002 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

While look for Web Hosts I come accross "ASP for Linux" can any one tell me what this is?

<Edit> And how it differs from ASP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

yeah, it's called PHP, and no royalties go to Bill Gates for installing it. It is more powerfull, and doesn't eat up 99.9999999999999% of your webservers resources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Probably refers to the Apache ASP module, which will do most of what ASP can do.. but the module itself is still extremely buggy imo and if ASP is a definite requirement for your site then go for a Windows-based server, you'll have less headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I your writing web apps for Apache (for example) on a UNIX plaform I would either do it in PHP or take the Java route with (JSP/Servlets). But it's a matter of preference, and the above options reflect mine.

That is all. I wouldn't get hyped over something like ASP on linux, unless it can do the same job better than your current options. But I think server resources is the biggest issue when it comes to web apps. The Servlet & JSP API, provide fantastic resource management services, through pooling. Thus increasing concurrency, blah blah blah (it's been all said before, so I'm not going to get in to it again)

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

kidding aside:

http://www.asp-linux.com/

mayhaps it is something like this they are offering!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can also get Chillisoft Asp
    If you have a Cobalt RAQ server (ie. Linux) you can get it for free, if not you have to get a license which can be fairly costly.

There are other ways of running ASP on Linux and several hosting companies offer it as an option.

Needless to say there are plenty of other scripting languages available such as those mentioned: PHP, JSP, Perl etc.
    It depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I really wouldn't recommend running ASP on Linux, it's just... well, it's just blasphemy when you get right down to it. However, Chilisoft are the longest at it, and are pretty close to the real thing at this stage. But really, PHP is the kiddy, or Perl if you don't like being slagged by guys with beards. Even Python is better than ASP... :)

adam

[ I notice Sun have bought Chilisoft. Interesting that. They're really pushing hard with appliances... ]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by dahamsta

[ I notice Sun have bought Chilisoft. Interesting that. They're really pushing hard with appliances... ]
    That's why any of us offering hosting on a RAQ automatically offer Chillisoft ASP as it comes free to us (Sun bought Cobalt)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's why any of us offering hosting on a RAQ automatically offer Chillisoft ASP as it comes free to us (Sun bought Cobalt)

Yeah, but ASP has nearly always been bundled with RaQ's and Qube's. And as far as I can remember, it's not Chilisoft <= RaQ4.

(I run a RaQ, and I've refused hosting to customers who wanted ASP. I simply won't allow it.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There's another interpreter called Instant ASP (or iASP), that's Java based.

I'd concur with dahamsta though. If you want to use ASP, do so on IIS - same goes for PHP, IMHO, you can run it on IIS, but you're better off doing so on *nix.

Give onto Caesar, that which belongs to Caesar...

Advertisement