Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloads/Uploads and caps

Options
  • 25-06-2002 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

If someone, for example, didn't agree with an adsl cap ..and had a service that was download capped but not upload capped...what if..

They decided for some crazy reason to maybe run kazza or some such program constantly..sharing everything they could imagine anyone might want......whilst not downloading anything bar some light webpage browsing...

How long could they possibly do this within a cap..

Obviously uploads involve a certain amount of traffic both ways..is there any kind of ratio for this one could use as a rule of thumb..ie i upload 5mb..means in the course of doing so..about maybe 1mb has come down negotiating all that...

Anyone any pointers..hypothetically speaking of course.

And does it matter how they would do this..would an ftp be more efficient for their protest?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

the line comming into the exchange has prolly the same bandwidth up and down but adsl is asometric so they will have alot of unused upstream bandwidth if u were to upload non stop it is unlikley to affect them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I uploaded 3.5 gigs last week whilst on nights .I left my FTP open to a mate and uploaded 3.5 to him.
    I asked eircom where uploads capped i was told no.
    So im abusung it,in again this week on nights FTP is open and uploading agian same amount takes a while but i only get at the pc for a few minutes a day whilst on nights.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

A regular Leased line like the one between the exchanges won't have seperate directional channels like ADSL does. For instance a 256k leased line doesn't have 256k in one direction and 256k in the other simultaneously.
    I'm not explaining this very well but what I mean to say is that there isn't a sea of unused upload bandwidth.
    Its sortof like a regular modem, you wouldnt say right I'm uploading at 56kbits, so I should have 56kbits left for downloading also.
    It just happens that ADSL has 2 seperate channels.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm taking rubish.

Advertisement