Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Upgrades, GFX Cards, PCMCIA Cards, DVD Drives etc...

• 26-08-2001 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Lo laeds!
    My brother just got a new Compaq Presario 1200XL 302 for a knockdown price. Its a grand oul machine but i wouldnt mind upgrading it a bit for him. Basically ive discovered that its max memory is 320MB (it has 64MB in it) and i can get a 256MB module from crucial for about £35 sterling for him. But i wouldnt mind getting him a DVD drive and a Geforce2 Go gfx card for it. Ive been searching for over an hour and have come up with diddley squat. Does anyone know anywhere I can find some resources for upgrading the laptop and some online stores, uk or Ireland, that will have these sorta of cards and stuff. The compaq site is of no use whatsoever. Cheers in advance laeds smile.gif STARS!

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 26-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I've been looking at buying a laptop and www.cnet.com has some fairly good reviews also for buying take a look at www.dabs.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Hey Chief, its Chief here,

I used to have a laptop with a 2mb vid card when i first started playin cs online.

I searched and searched and searched but was told by dell that you cannot upgrade laptops video memory.

Ive heard rumours of pcmcia cards and external graphics cards but its all bullshIIT.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Damn double posts! Grr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Thanx for the info Chief m8, pain in the tool that! Its a real shame that theres a distinct lack of upgradability for laptops, itd probably make them far more popular if you could.... cheers for the info m8!

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

most laptops take SODIMMs don't they? they're like 120-pin or something? Also, Dell are doing a Inspiron laptop atm with some ATi Mobility or something and you can upgrade the memory. Porlly just a factory upgrade though....

• Advertisement
Advertisement