Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Extraction Problem

• 25-06-2002 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey Everyone,

This one really has me baffled. My computer - p4 2000 , 512Mb RAM , running Xp home, all a bit Turbo charged seems to have problems extracting large files from archives like zip files and the like. Some installation programs that include self extractors have the same problem. Downloaded latest version winzip no change. Tried WinRar and others same problem. Some of the Errors the self Extractors indicate are memory problems. All errors suggest corrupt archives, but I know the archives are fine ( tested them on another computer ) . Virtual Mem managed by the System.

no other problems. No crashes ( yet ). Seems to be only when the zip file contains a large file.

Anyone have any ideas ? I really cant think of anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is it error in 0x00000000 type of errors???
    if it is i get that too
    I assumed the ACE was corrupt but seems it not.
    Its XP (i have XP Pro)
    I havent heard of a FIX for my issue.
    kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

Have you tried reducing the amount of RAM in the machne.I knowyour using w2k but NT wouldload if there was > 2GB RAM until sp 2 or later.
    It could be that the extra memory is causing referentialerrors but only compression software is sensitiveenough to show anything.

SomeOS's can handle > 4GB even though 2^32 (32 bit OS) is around there by using some extensions (can't remember the name) to the memory addressing models.Thesear Intel proprietary but need to be supported (i.e.used) by the OS.
    Netware 6 does it but I haven't heard that w2k does, and it may be dependant on SP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 snake_eyes

oops there was a typo in the first post the machine has 512MB Ram not 5122 .... Sorry !

Advertisement