Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observations

Options
  • 26-06-2002 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Not familar with Irish customs regarding house sharing but these sort of things to me count as warning signs.

House/Landlord does not ask for previous tenant references.
    This is a warning sign to me because it means that they probably haven't checked up on who else is in the house and while I trust myself I would like to know that one of the people in the house wasn't kicked out of the last one for torching it down.

Does not have some kind of contract.
    The problem with verbal agreements is they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. When I have mentioned this I get blank looks or told not to bother. I think the best response was "Don't worry, I trust you".

Likewise with reciepts. I can't understand some peoples reluctance to write a reciept for taking a sum of cash.

You don't talk to the landlord.
    I am not sure why this is, I would guess they are subletting but when someone comes out with very strict instructions that I am under no circumstances to contact the landlord I have to wonder.

Money
    I had one instance where we agreed apon the rent, then they rang me back looking for the whole lot in cash now (on a sunday). Then when I mentioned I couldn't get that much cash on a sunday they asked for less up front as soon as possible in cash, but then added I would be paying more the following week (more then we agreed apon) at which point I told him not to bother.

Advertisement