Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus & Broadband

Options
  • 26-06-2002 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've read somewhere about Chorus providing Boardband ! does anyone know anything about this ? If it is true, has anyone got any timescales for the roll out, prices etc.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

huggy bear, please dont bother following those links...uninformed garbage that is no use to you.

I have broadband with chorus for nearly 2 years now. It is available only in certain areas.

ring 1890 402060 daytime and ask for their Powernet service.

you can email yankinlk@hotmail.com if you need more details. (i dont work for them)

[more info] i was bored so i gave them a ring. wireless like i have is currently available in the limerick area.

and they are trialing a new product (not line of sight, thru cable) in these areas: Clonmel, kilkenny tipperary

Had a look around and found this thread as well, shows the

Yank pluggin Powernet a year ago

Note the rest of the thread to see some firm promises they made to others about Dublin Cork etc etc. It is this tendency to lie and string people along that most annoys me about Chorus.

None of the listed promises were kept, poor old Huggy Bear is in Kildare god help him, you could have checked that as I did. What's available in Kildare for Chorus customers?

What does "keep pushing during daylight hours" say about the service then?

I was customer of Chorus (both their IMC and CMI incarnations in the Midlands), a dismal shower if ever I came across one.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

thanks ...

The Chorus website is very skimpy ... with little or no info, they should really up date this ... but hey ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Muck, have a look at the very first reply to my query a year ago: When I asked, am i a sucker or is this the business?

"Ah sucker.

If you are a heavy internet user then you'll have that 3GB's used in no-time. Then its 2p per minute (my understanding from your mail) which is twice the going rate from Eircon. Also Chorus have a very bad Customer Service rep from the Cable TV side of things."

Well Im glad I DIDNT listen to that begrudger ... I have enjoyed over 12 months of 512k down always on... and the one time i HAD ANY TROUBLE? they sent out a techie while i was at work, and when i got home it was sorted...(i didnt even know there was anything wrong, i was told later)

Powernet does not equal Multichannel, but eircon DOES equal TE...a lot of eircon promises were made as well chief...and with the shananigans at worldcom today, dont expect any telco to do a lot for you over the next few years...

• Advertisement

...do not a summer make.

I am delighted for ye in Limerick what with functioning broadband wireless and uncapped DSL imminent thru ESAT.

The rest of us have no choice at all save some in Dublin.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm in Kildare as well, so I'd be curious to see what's available also. afik Chorus handle the Kildare cable TV, so unless they decide to bring out Powernet (or the cable internet*) here, we're kind of in the dark until then :-/

*Edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ohm-e

2MB powerlink cable service will be available in Swords Co.Dublin in 3rd Quater 2002 I believe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

not likely.....

I email Chorus every 3 months or so... each time, they tell me that I'll have powernet in Cork in 3 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm getting a 512k connection from chorus last April, no sorry last May no no wait was it last june?....hmmmm can't remember I was told so many things. But I'm definitly getting it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MrEnvy
    I'm getting a 512k connection from chorus last April, no sorry last May no no wait was it last june?....hmmmm can't remember I was told so many things. But I'm definitly getting it last year.
    If you live in Dublin, you will be getting it April of last year. They are planning to set up a transmitter on Three Rock Mountain in April of 2001. I'm looking backwards to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just FYI, there was a poster on Nets/Comms the other day asking questions about his trial Chorus cable Internet installation. Someone may wish to post in that thread or PM for more information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56262

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, same boat here... was promised powernet in july 2000.... Phuck them, they cannot stop lying... . an engineering problem cannot go on for 2 phucking years god damn it (and counting), unless you have some handycapt engineer's working for you

any confidence i have in them has completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

We had CMI's Powernet (Cable Internet) service at work here in Swords between 1999-2001 last year we upgraded to a leased line through Internet Ireland (corporate ISP arm of Chorus who bought CMI) as the Cable service wasn't very reliable.

When I moved to Swords back in 1999 and was investigating residential Cable Internet, CMI had a comprehensive website detailing their Cable Internet offering but this wasn't available throughout Swords/Malahide as not all the Cable wiring had been laid down was bi-directional and thats what I believe is needed in order to get Cable Intenet.

Chorus and NTL stopped investing in laying down new Digital Lines in late 2000.

Boirimhe a new residential estate (just outside Swords) that "was" earmarked as a "Digital Estate" didn't even have Chorus Lines put down.

Basically I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting Broadband from Chorus in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

"Basically I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting Broadband from Chorus in Swords ..."

So anyone in Kildare can forget about it :mad:

looks like my poor slow dial-up will have to do for another year or so

Advertisement