Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get ISDN. How about ADSL ?

Options
  • 26-06-2002 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Well, I had an Eircom Engineer out to me this morning to install my ISDN Line that I ordered. To my horror, my line is split so ISDN is not an option on it. So, I thought, how about ADSL ? I did ring the ADSL number (1850 512 128) the day of the launch and they said that my line had passed. I ran them again just a few moments ago for them to check again (not saying about the ISDN incident).

The Sales Guy, lets call him Keith, said that my line had past but the last time it was tested was 4 weeks ago. He said he'd get the ADSL centre (in Sligo ? Like wtf ?) to test my line again and that he'd have a definitive answer for me tomorrow.

Now, from my undestanding of ADSL is that it is a sensitive technology and I would find it hard to believe that my (split) line passed while at the same time it's not possible for me to get ISDN installed.

Anyway, I'll ring the sales line again tomorrow morning to get my "definitive" answer.

No doubt if it does pass and the engineer comes out to install it, he won't be able to due to the line being split.

Anyone, got any info on this or had ADSL installed on a line that has a second carrier ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

ADSL works in conjuction with PSTN lines and you carrier line is PSTN so it shouldnt be a worry

where as with ISDN it is because you have to upgrade the line from the exchange to your premises the whole carrier would be Digital and that would'nt be good for the rest of the people in your block of houses.

What general area of dublin are you in !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Rathfarnham. No, my local exchange definitely has ADSL enabled. Just worried about the line. Well if I pass again tomorrow I'll order it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

i thought i read that in the IOFFL forums that if u ask for ISDN they usually (have to?) unsplit ur line or something. were a load of threads about it.

Im sure someone will explain who has the know how.

Advertisement