Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today at the Irish Broadcasting Forum

• 26-06-2002 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

Today I was listening to the match on RTE Radio 1 AM. As the match finished they 'returned to the broadcasting forum'. It seems that there was a public forum taking submissions from the industry and the public about the future of broadcasting.

'Course, if I had known yesterday I would've taken the opportunity to voice some of my concerns (as per this thread) - with representatives their from E4/C4, UTV (I think) and the elusive Mr Mark "Sky Ireland" Deering, it would be the perfect time to ask key people in person .

But just basically to report on the bits I heard (I flitted in and out as work permitted).

1. There was general concern about the renegade activities of Sky and E4 - mainly in the sense that they are not restricted by advertising legislation as it applies in Ireland. (Unfair competitive advantage, as they can for example, sell advertising for liquor, and are not restricted by the advertising time they can sell)

2. Secondly, there was also the suggestion that these services are operating commercial TV without license, and without PSB obligations that all broadcasters in Ireland come under. (Competitive advantage, no.2)

3. Mark Deering spoke (briefly in comparison to others), and mainly outlined the achievement of making Digital TV a reality in Ireland to the extent that we are now 3rd most Digital in EU. (Genuinely, fair play to Sky here).

4. He also went on to say that Sky had invested €80m in infrastructure to do so. I wonder how this figure was arrived at? He didn't go on to explain.

5. He also mentioned that Sky Active would be launched before the end of the year in Ireland, and that this would provide exciting opportunitiies for Irish content providers to make their services available to Irish viewers. Unfortunately, no elaboration as to whether this would include programming, gaming, commerce, etc.

6. The representative from E4 mainly touted the quality of its channel, and its key importance for NTL in 'winning the battle against Sky'. Interestingly, he was at pains to note that the Irish E4 service is exactly the same as the UK (with exception of ads), and offered on the same basis (i.e. for no extra charge, and as part of basic packages).

7. The CEO of TV3 I think, said he believed it was Sky's intention to continue with Irish ads on more of its services, perhaps beginning with Sports.

8. There was also a suggestion that the Licence fee be scrapped in Ireland, and that cable, mmds and satellite subscriptions be 'taxed' to collect this money. This idea has merit - at least it would reduce avoidance - but interestingly, it would require some kind of legislation to deal with Sky.

9. All parties agreed that most people chose to watch UK channels as regularly or more regularly than Irish channels, and recognised this as 'reality'. The consensus view was that to combat this would require investment in quality Irish programming and legislation.

So, it would seem that there is growing unease with Sky's dominance, and a growing concern for the role of Irish broadcating in the future. As a result of this report, Sky may well be forced to comply with Irish legislation, but who knows how this will benefit the viewer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Interestingly, he was at pains to note that the Irish E4 service is exactly the same as the UK (with exception of ads), and offered on the same basis (i.e. for no extra charge, and as part of basic packages).

unless interactive big brother doesnt count, then this man is a LIAR.

Regarding the advertising issue-It doesn't say a whole lot for the toothless BCI:rolleyes:

The €80 million Mark deering mentions, conveniently ignores the spread of cost over the UK market.

Theres going to be *very* slow progress here on all these issues as the subjects being discussed hold about as much priority with the government as the road between Johnstown and Ballycogue(5 miles north west of Arklow).

Meantime sky with all it's resources has the time and energy to investigate every possibility to legally make as much from us as they want.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

(oops!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Smak - you're dead right there. He wasn't challenged either, neither was Mark Deering. But then maybe the audience weren't too pushed (my own hypotheses on why the likes of Sky, E4 and the BBC allow a downgrading of service is that generally, people don't care and let them).

Madman, also a good point about the speed of change. I would say that the most immediate issue from the forum was the one that was explicitly mentioned by the Govt. as being beyond remit - the licence fee. The Chairman chose to ignore that exclusion, and it was the hot topic yesterday.

There is of course the argument that regulation may make things even worse. Imagine if legislation tomorrow levelled the plyaing pitch for satellite in Ireland. Sky would probably drop all its services immediately.

So, hopefully reason will win out, on both sides. Sky, give us the services we deserve; the BCI recognise the reality of multichannel TV and attempt to improve native services than over-regulate other services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

So good, you said it twice :)

Does anyone know the name of the E4 representative who attended that meeting yesterday. If we can get a name maybe we can target our E4 issues at a real person as opposed to the generic mails that we have sent before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

From the Irish Times...

A transcript of yesterday's public session of the forum is to be posted shortly on its website:

www.forumonbroadcasting.ie

The is a good bit of information on this page, including loads of submissions by various groups. Maybe we should submit one ourselves.

Advertisement