Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing for the weekend

• 26-06-2002 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

lo everyone.
    Im going sailing for the first time this weekend and i havent a clue what i need to bring. Now the ppl on the 50 footer know what theyre doing (one has sailed around the world) but i havent done it before.
    Can anyone tell me, say, a good list of stuff to bring and the important things.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Some sort of shoes, probably with white soles so they dont mark anything, that you can get wet. A number of layers of warm clothes such as fleeces etc (it may be summer but with the current weather... and consider any weather is ten times worse when your out sailing..). Track suit pants, dont attempt jeans or anything of the sort. A good rain jacket. I presume whoever owns the boat has enough life jackets etc.. Maybe some snacks for when you feel peckish.. Sun block would be a good idea (you can get burnt even when its cloudy, and sunburn can come faster when your sailing due to reflections off the water). Some decent sunglasses. If anything else comes to mind, ill make an addition.

Edit: Sea sickness tablets ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Thanks Moriarty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Maybe some snacks for when you feel peckish

maybe???? As i have already said to Overlord, the single most important thing to bring is a packet of chocolate digestive biscuits. You must not go on an open boat for more than 7 hours without this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

yeah nice wan illkillya

overlord: sailing is like swimming, it works up an apetitie like nothing else on earth, and u dont even realise it while your doing it hehe

and enjoy urself, bring a sense of humour and sense of balance :-P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Oakleys, a good hat (preferably wolly and close fitting), and decent rain gear. I spent the guts of 400 eurobucks on raingear for summers spent up the lake in a RIB and it's well worth it.

Oh and appropriate booze, gin and tonics and a few cans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement