Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electronic manufacturing in Ireland

• 28-08-2001 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to get peoples views on the long term future of electronics manufacturing in Ireland. In ref. to the recent closure of Gateway. Has the industry hit a blip or are we losing this sector slowly but surely?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The tech companies like Ireland especially the US. They like the idea of having an English speaking European base. So Ireland, Britain and to a lesser degree Holland (where they all seem to speak English) seem to be their obvious choices. They always like out workforce and our governments favourable tax situation.

In recent years in Ireland we have seen a movement away from the original batch producer electronics and into the R&D and high-tech assembly / production sphere. The elec co.'s are reluctant to move this type of operation to the far east. This migration should secure our electronics industry for the future.

On the point og Gateway closing (and General Semi.), i believe that most large companies did not forsee this blip i the worldwide market and as such were in a huge period of expansion. Many were expanding for the markets they had forseen in the future and when their proactive decisions proved wrong they had to slim down fast. Gateways PC market, for exmample was over inflated now that hardware has developed a better useful life.

The market analysts believe that it will take 5/6 financial quarters to ride out these problems and that no recovery will be seen before then (especially in telecoms).

"I'd rather have a bottle infront of me than a frontal lobotamy"

[This message has been edited by leeroybrown (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id like to think that its just the pc market that has been hit. however, we have all heard reports from ericsson, intel, hewlett packard, dell, boltimore, luciant etc that the have all been letting people go.
    the pc market has been hit hardest of all, but all the electronics manufacturers have been hit as well. i think though that most should survive. gateway went under here because theyve been making a dogs boll0x of their business for the past 4 years and would have gone in time anyway.
    you wont be able to get a job as easy anymore for a year or two, but i think within the next 18 months things will get back on line. we wont have a celtic tiger, but there will be plenty to go around for everyone...
    IMHO*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

From the market point of view, it was very hard to find skilled workers in the IT sector here before this recession.
    Wages were rocketing, and companies were having to compete.

Due to the recession, and the fact the more students in the future will have IT skills, I think it will actually help to make irelan an attractive place to consider setting up a new IT business.Once the current problems in the worldwide market are overcome, that is.

The worldwide slowdown which was caused by Mary Harney, if you believe Alan Shatter, Dick Spring etc.
    HEHE

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

Advertisement