Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows problem :(

• 26-06-2002 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

A fairly unusual problem, from what I've encounteed on the net :(

Basically, for no apparent reason , I am now unable to open either the desktop shortcuts for Win.Explorer, the recycle bin, or to use the "Run" comand, or open the control panel without the following message appearing:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 018f:bff8ac13.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=bff8ac13 EFLGS=00000246
    EBX=00000000 SS=0197 ESP=0093bd68 EBP=01a09088
    ECX=01a09088 DS=0197 ESI=01a0916c FS=1927
    EDX=00937865 ES=0197 EDI=01a09088 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    a1 10 9d fc bf 50 e8 96 95 fe ff ff 76 04 e8 35
    Stack dump:
    bff8abfa 019f3641 01a0916c 01a09088 0045f8c0 0093bd98 01a0056a 00000000 019f0000 00000001 01a08018 01a08018 0093bdb8 01a009b7 019f0000 00000000

If I click "Close" 3 times, the program/command then runs but , obviously, this could eventually drive you mad :(

Anybody on the boards got any advise or a pointer as to where I should look on the net?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.linux.com

Sorry thats a bad joke ...LOL

try the msft knowledgebase i usally find all my MSFT errors have happened before and a fix is in there.
    What version of windows have you got?
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Just do a fresh, squeaky clean install. Backup you stuff first though. It'll fix the problem and the machine'll run fast and smooth again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Just do a fresh, squeaky clean install. Backup you stuff first though. It'll fix the problem and the machine'll run fast and smooth again.

Agreed :)

The reason is that Kernel32.dll has routines that windows uses for file/memory managment (amongst others). Basically core pieces of functionality of the OS. If there is a problem here, then there is something running in the background invoking methods in this dll, and causing some system apps to fault.

If you're doing the re-install, don't just over write the OS with a another instance. Back up your disk, format it, and install the OS, and any applications, etc you had on it beforehand. This time be careful as to what stuff you install on your disk.

I find if you stray away from popular apps, or use warez etc, you are asking for trouble. Also half the stuff that you get on coverdisks are waiting to wreak your current setup. After a while instinct will be able to tell the difference between potential threats, and useful software.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dave_l

I'm running Windows 98, BTW.

Thanls for the advice, loks like a fresh installation is in order

I can't help but suspect that my installing Kazaa had something to do with this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dave_l

oh yeah, logged in as Elbow316 on another computer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

see if there is a problem in safe mode first, go into safe mode and see if that ****s up i there and if it does then its a low level format for you matey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Don't low-level format your hard-drive unless absolutely necessary (rare) and you know exactly what you're doing. You could easily trash your drive if you mess it up. A simple format and reinstall should fix the problem (back up essential stuff first of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by SearrarD
    see if there is a problem in safe mode first, go into safe mode and see if that ****s up i there and if it does then its a low level format for you matey

Why the hell would he have to do a LLF?. You only need to do that if you have a corrupt parition table for example. When replacing on OS on a single partition, a standard format is sufficient. If you did a LLF, you would need to fdisk the FAT partition up again. Just because some software on that partition (even if it's the OS) isn't working, it doesn't mean you have to put your disk at risk (hey that rhymes ;) )

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by phobos

Why the hell would he have to do a LLF?.

Indeed. LLF--> can result in Very Bad Things happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Just boot up with a win98 boot disk and rename the windows and program files directory. Then do a clean install. Once you're saftly back in windows you can salvage anything you need from the old windows directory and program files directory and then delete them. 99% of what windows links in with by default is in the windows and program files directory.

Advertisement