Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classifieds

Options
  • 26-06-2002 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

After reading the RPG threads, I decided it was time to take the plunge, so...

Inexperienced GWM seeks RPG for fun and games. Format is irrellevent, but a good story is a must. Not too stat-heavy either please! Reply to box #5268

No time wasters.

(Or, for those of you who are viewing in black and white: Recommend a decent RPG on any format with an interesting story and little in the way of statistics for a RPG newb like myself)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Final Fantasy VII, for christ's sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

For simple straight forward 2 weeks of fun, final fantasy 7,no doubt about it.
    But if you want an open ended almost never ending RPG with thousands of items,weapons and spells, with a million and one side quest's and a decent story. Get Baldurs Gate2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Whoops! Forgot to point out that I don't want a game that forces me into random battle lameness EVERY FIVE SECONDS!

But yeah, I suppose I better pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

In FF7 in most places a battle just magically appears every 10sec's in all of the fighting areas (everywhere there arent other people... )
    ps: FF7 has probably the best story of any RPG you will ever play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If random battles put you off (I don't mind 'em unless they're really excessive, personally), go for FFX - yes, it's got loads of randoms, but the battle system is a hell of a lot of fun so you don't mind playing through them half as much as in previous games.

Otherwise, FF7 is your only man.

(Unless of course you want some kind of AD&D RPG lameness, in which case I suggest a dose of Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate or just a sedative, which promotes sleep much more effectively.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story of FFVII and the battle system of FFX are so good you won't mind the random battles. I hope FFVIII didn't put you off it wasn't the best. If your not going to play FFVII your missing out on a life altering experience.

FFVII was the one I played - I got somewhere in the second disc before I gave up, crying. I did enjoy the story and some of the mini games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Loads of people are ranting on about Morrowwind, that new elder scrolls game. Dunno much about it though.

The last rpg I played my way through was Revenant - its pretty old, and I actually enjoyed it.

Deus ex and zelda64 are worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Haven't played an rpg in a while but the Ultima series is pretty good, don't bother playing the first few, put from 7 on is pretty good. The graphics are nothing special and you'd prolly find 9, i think thats it anyway the most enjoyable. Its the shortest and most linear. Battles are avoidable and its generally good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

BG2 is very good, plot wise, gameplay wise, not much hack and slash at all, much more "tactical combat"

NWN isn't as involving in single player, and morrowwind was just annoying for me :)

Get BG2 :)
    I'll give it to ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Homeworld. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

NeverWinterNights (in shops last Friday) is getting a lot of good reviews..

Personally Im not a huge RPG fan, hitting a bush with a stick for 5 hours to get my stick rating up is not my idea of fun :)

Rocket Launcher = Good
    Sandals = Bad
    Homeworld
    Cos homeworlds an RPG you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

Personally Im not a huge RPG fan, hitting a bush with a stick for 5 hours to get my stick rating up is not my idea of fun :)

You must be thinking of Ultima Online.

NWN is pretty good, I would say it's a lot better online though.

BG2 is excellent single player and well worth the dosh in relation to time played.

Other older ones prehaps "Deus Ex".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Goddamit, I should have read the topic better, thought it said RTS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by Hobbes

You must be thinking of Ultima Online.

Wasn't Legend Of Mir the one with the stick?
    God i hated that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 r0sc0

Morrowind was great in that it was like Privateer - free moving and a very large game world... however Privateer had the excellent autopilot option which would whisk you away to where you wanted to go and stop if there was trouble along the way.. Morrowind I ended up walking around for hours at a whopping 2mph.. yeah sure I should have taken the "boat" or whatever the strange creature was but I wasnt going to pay.

NWN is much nicer. Its a little hack/slash but its fun and the multiplayer potential is incredible. I dont imagine I will need anything more the NWN, CS, and Civ3 for the next good while - well, Wc3 and Moo3 will be nice too.. oh and Tron 2.0 and I might check out The Matrix MMORPG. :( GTA3 is fun and I still havent beat Ghost Recon.. sigh.. so many games, so many pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Fallout 1/2 if carlsberg made games they'd probably be fallout because they are the best in the world. and you can pick up both for a wallet clenchingly expensive €12.99. great, no excelent storys and fallout 2 is huge. get the kiddy patch to it add a whole new dimension to the game to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Planescape: Torment has an absolutely sublime story...way more in-depth and funnier than any of those japanesey titles. Alot less battling than the baldurs gates..but the fights aren't that great, so its a good thing :)

FF7 is great until it starts getting all epic, save-the-world again at the later stages.

Boo Shinji..with your AD&D goblin hatred! Out with thee, or taste Hamster Justice!

I read that as Hamster Juice... ewww.

Planescape Torment was rubbish. Sorry, it just was. I played for about an hour and uninstalled it in disgust - "Torment" is about right. Central character you don't give a damn about and boring combat combined with utterly foul graphic design, oh woo-hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Kyro
    Planescape: Torment has an absolutely sublime story...way more in-depth and funnier than any of those japanesey titles.
    Sorry Kyro - i cant say i agree with you on this one. Planescape: Torment is literally THE worst game I have EVER played, and thats saying something. Yes, even worse than Tomb Raider. It looked so promising to begin with, but it didnt go anywhere. After about three hours of nothing but loading up on quests and solving none of them, i uninstalled and chucked it in the bin (well, gave it to Mills actually, but it comes to the same thing :))

A

• Advertisement

Oi! Tomb Raider was really good at the time, and the first one is still a quality game. We'll have less of this groundless slagging!

Oh yeah, this is still bugging me:
    Inexperienced GWM

What the sod is one of those when it's at home? All I can think of is "gay white male", which *fits* but I'm really not convinced that you're "inexperienced" in that particular field...

Originally posted by Shinji
    gay white male

Got it in one! And the "inexperienced" is all relative - looking at some of the people who replied (yourself included!) I am but an innocent alter boy.

I think I'll pick up FFX and Baldur's Gate 2, or possibly NWN.

I am but an innocent alter boy

Whoa, I think I need to take a cold shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Planescape Torment is also an absolutly brilliant game that you can pick up for a tenner if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Deus Ex.
    IWar2
    Elite:Frontier
    Elite:Frontier: First Encounters (3.5" version for uber retro)

Advertisement