Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shutdown problem

• 27-06-2002 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

This is strange... at sometime over the last few weeks, my machine has stopped shutting down properly, and I haven't a clue why. When I tell it to shut down, windows 2000 goes through its usual shutdown procedure, and at the point where the machine would usually power off, it just reboots - like a cold boot.

To actually power off the machine I have to press the power button for about 5 seconds as its starting to boot again.

Specs:
    Windows 2000 SP2
    Intel P3-866 MHz
    256mb of RAM
    GeForce 2 GTS (32mb)
    mixture of scsi and IDE hard disks

Anyone know how I can get the machine to shut down normally again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I had a problem like that before, but random things happened. The computer would shut down
    The computer would hang
    The computer would restart

In the end it turned out to be a corrupt WAV file that computer tried to play upon shutdown. Once I disabled a shutdown sound, everything returned to normal, which is very strange. I would understand it, if it just hung the machine, but restarting is a different story.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does Win2k not have a reboot feature as part of the whole package? I know these ones here in college, if they hit a fatal error, (very rare) instead of telling me, they just flat out reboot themselves. As phobos experienced, maybe it's hitting a fatal error on the shutdown sequence, and automatically rebooting itself. Also if you remember, Win98 had a 'always reboot on shutdown' option, maybe Win2k has something the same somewhere?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by seamus
    Does Win2k not have a reboot feature as part of the whole package? I know these ones here in college, if they hit a fatal error, (very rare) instead of telling me, they just flat out reboot themselves. :)

It's a feature not a bug I suppose.

That would have to be set in System Properties--->Advanced--->Startup and Recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

but i think it`s something to do with the computer shutting down so quick that it reboots instead. I `m using a MAC at the mo so i can`t double check this. MSCONFIG, some sorta advanced settings and disable fast shutdown. And before the guffows come in with the "there`s no msconfig in Win2k". Well theres no excuse either download it or get it from XP.

Here you go... http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

Could help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I downloaded that msconfig for win2k app - there seems to be no mention of shutdown in it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Sounds like a faulty psu to me.

It happens on one of my coms but it only happens under win98se, under 2k pro it shuts down the way it should, my psu is a codegen pos but it does the job. Are the devices getting enough power?

I really hope that isn't the problem :/

The devices should be getting all the power they need - it is a 490w psu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

:o

Try replacing it and see if it persists .....if you have a spare handy :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

OK im sure o posted the one about 98se... anyway thats a bug.. actually is a bug when it hangs on shutdown.. dissable fast shutdown is an option in msconfig... take the tick out and it either works fine or it reboots instead.. then its registry time and there is a key called fastreboot=1 which you change to 0... sorted...

Under 2000 it should not be the same problem.. im not sure if that key even exists.. anyway Check in system properties to see if its set to auto reboot.. if so take it out and try shutting down.. if it still reboots then its not that... if it gives you a blue screen it could by failing to shutdown a particular service or driver...

I've been rooting around in the registry and found this:

PowerdownAfterShutdown - set to 0

I'm going to set it to 1 now and see what happens :)

• Advertisement

Bugger. It made no difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I just booted up my Windows 2k Adv Server emulator and tried to look for acpi in device manager but to no avail.
    I had a problem in XP where it wouldnt shut down but when i enabled acpi is shut down.
    I went into device manager and said view all devices and saw acpi was disabled. Once enabled it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

could any of you give me a hand, when i shut down it does it normally. tho when i turn the pc on again it says its jsut recovered froma serious error, which it hasnt. any idea how to turn this gob****e off.

i have winxp home edition
    P4 2.0 ghz
    256mb rd ram
    geforce3 ti500

Thanks to logic1 for this :D

All I had to do to get windows to power down properly again was to disable wake on LAN in my system's BIOS, and all is well :)

Ta logic.

Advertisement