Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you GPRS too?

• 27-06-2002 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

good question from thegill in another thread, anyone else using GPRS regularly and have any experiences to share, good sites to highlight?

What do you do with GPRS?

I use a GPRS connection in transit or when I’m out and about with some time to kill.

I've two main uses:
    - occasional WAP on the Handset
    - frequent WAP, WEB and Email on a PDA

1) Handset WAP
    On the Handset, I use it now and again, queuing to get my lunch, checking headlines / bank balance.

Main WAP sites on the handset I use are:
    Ananova: http://wap.ananova.com
    Yahoo! UK & Ireland: http://uk.wap.yahoo.com/raw
    Yahoo! (USA): http://home.mobile.yahoo.com
    AIB 24Hour Online: https://www.wap.24hour-online.ie

2) On the PDA (via Bluetooth to Handset)
    Use the PDA on the bus, out and about waiting for people, or if i have some time to kill away from a wired net link.

Use some of the WAP sites above, I use Mobile Internet Explorer Pocket PC 2002 which handles most WAP sites grand. Other Pocket PC option is ezWAP for the PocketPC 2000/2002 and for the Palm crew the AUS WAP browser works well.

Main surfing use is with Mobile Internet Explorer on PDA friendly sites, here are my main Favorites:

O2's PocketPC site good (developed for the upcoming XDA devices), nice design and their Zones section offers a good spread of information.
    http://www.o2.ie

Other General News and Portals:
    BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/pda
    Ananova: http://pda.ananova.com
    ITN: http://avantgo.itn.co.uk
    Yahoo! Mobile (USA): http://home.mobile.yahoo.com
    MSN Mobile: http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc

A good rule of thumb, a lot of sites that developed for Avantgo or Mazingo can be browsed live, although some major channels won’t give out the URL and will only allow the caching servers access. Here’s a good place to find PDA friendly content, aimed and PocketPC but a lot of the sites will work on Palm also. Browse the main areas (non premium) and click (open in new window) on the preview link, you can determine the URL from there:
    http://www.mazingo.net/mobile

I also visit some PocketPC / PDA News sites, but more often just read a cached version from the morning on Avantgo or Mazingo.

Some good places to find more PDA friendly sites for your interests are:
    http://www.evmo.com/mobile/

I use Instant Messaging, IRC and of course E-mail, both pop and web (Hotmail / Yahoo Mail).

On the odd occasion if there are any big stories and I’m away from the TV / Radio I sometimes stream some short video / audio reports from through the Windows Media Player.
    ref.: http://windowsmedia.com/mobile
    Make sure to apply the ROM Updates and EUU Updates from the PDA vendor to get the latest Windows Media Player for Pocket PC. Not something to do too often, unless someone else is paying the bill ;)

anyone got any more sites to add / other uses?

Brian G

links updated 05 Feb '03

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I've only ever used GPRS on my mobile for getting the times certain films are on at, and where. I don't know the exact address, but it's on itouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

What PDA are you using? An Ipaq?
    I want to setup my Ipaq to connect using a Nokia 6310 but do not feel like "going in blind" and would apreciate any pointers on setting it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Hi,

I'm currently studying in Austria so i'll give a different viewpoint on GPRS usage. Well the big problem was that I am a prepaid user and so GPRS wasn't avaliable. My provider offers two services - normal WAP/Intenet and "FreeZone". At the moment i can only use the FreeZone. As it says this GPRS Zone is free. There are no data transmission charges on it. They make money by charging you for the services on it.
    The biggest service is GameZone. You "buy" a game for a specific amount of time and then you can play it for as long as you want without any extra charges. Charges are €0,49 for 1 game, €0,99 for 1 week and €1,99 for 1 month. It's actually good fun. They also provide a chat room which seems to be free at the moment.
    Another section is mobile guide. They have location-based services here and if you want to find the nearest ATM you just click on a menu, accept the charge (ranges from 50c to €1) and then it will tell you the nearest ATM and show you a map on the screen. It's the same for restaurants (indian, chinese etc...) etc...
    Other services including ringtones and cinema tickets. The thing I like about this is that it is very useful, even the games ;-) It's an interesting idea because all you are paying for is a service and how you connect to this service is irrelavant. Now I wonder what the situation will be when i come back to Ireland in September (where the Irish providers treat prepaid customers like dirt but that's off topic).

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi mayhem,

yup working with an iPAQ over IR and Bluetooth so no problem. works grand on a Plam too (but only had a chance to use IR)

can you tell me what iPAQ model you are using (if it's a 36xx series have you upgraded the OS to PocketPC 2002) and if your on O2 or Vodafone and i'll go from there...

Brian G

The setup here's an Ipaq 3650 running PPC2002 and a Nokia 6310 with Vodafone.
    Apreciate the help mate!

• Advertisement

*BUMP*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

There's a good article in this months Windows & .NET magazine about connecting a PDA to a GPRS mobile using bluetooth (and also how to connect in over a VPN to your office to get to an Exchange server).

Also - o2 are bringing out the XDA on 22nd July, it's a PDA with GPRS - http://www1.o2.ie/xda

OT: Do you know what Vodafone charge for GPRS, I couldn't find any prices on their site?

OK, I've got the Ipaq so far configured that it tries to connect using GPRS. The display on the phone displays the message "establishing GPRS connection" and then the whole thing grinds to a halt with the message " Subscribe to GPRS first".
    GPRS on the phone is working fine so I am subscribed.
    Has anyone any idea what could be causing this?
    I could ask Vodafone support, but then again I might as well as my five year old for help....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Vodafone? No internet gprs service yet (only wap on your mobile...it took me 3 days of ringing, talking to different people, etc back in April to find that out), though I haven't bothered ringing them this month yet. WAP GPRS has been free for months, and probably still is. Will give them a ring tomorrow to find out if nobody else knows.

WAP GPRS?!
    WTF is that supposed to be!?

• Advertisement

Just got of the phone with Vodafone tech support.
    Apparemtly they will only start providing full (internet) GPRS as soon as the free trail period is over. This should be the end of July.
    Bleedin' typical....

WAP GPRS - just for use to browse those little wap pages on your phones screen. I can actually connect to the WAP gprs apn with my ipaq (ericsson t39 phone) using bluetooth, but can't tranfer anything with it....phone says data has been sent, but nothing received. Cant even go to wap pages using the wap gateway in the proxy settings.

I'd take end of July with a pinch of salt. When I got on the trial in April, I was assured it'd be the end of the month when it would finish and I could use the proper internet. That changed to the end of May once May came, and end of June when June came.... :(

Brendan.

It's bleedin typical though to use something as full of possibilities as GPRS and to use it for nothing more than somthing as uterly ridiculous as WAP!
    Shows you how little understanding of the technology they have....

hi mayhem, sorry for the delay, crazy end of week in work...

last reply (June) from Vodafone was full Consumer GPRS available in the second week in July, but as bkehoe said, every time you call it's always next month... I did expect it would be on Monday (July 8th), but after your call I'm disappointed they are delaying it for another month :(

In the mean time the next post has details to connect the PocketPC (2002) and 6310 with Vodafone GPRS WAP. I wasn't a WAP fan on the mobile either, crap screens and awkward input, but on a PDA it really does bring WAP alive with a decent screen, easier input, the GPRS speed makes it usable.

Give it a try and use some of the WAP addresses given in the first post...

I'll post the Vodafone Web GPRS details when the eventually release it.

Brian G

Here's the details for Vodafone WAP GPRS with the Pocket PC (2002) and the Nokia 6310

It's outlined for IR connection, Bluetooth has a few more steps, if you want them I'll outline it in another post (so not to try and cover too much in this).

Using Voda GPRS WAP (WAP Access point) on the PocketPC you need to download a WAP client, I use ezos ezWAP app. There is an full featured evaluation version 2.1 here (a note pops ups from time to time or $25 for the reg version). It does bring WAP to life with a decent screen on and easy input on a PDA.
    http://www.ezos.com/Main_Netscape.asp?content=/soft/ezwap/ezwap21.asp

On the PocketPC:
    Start, Settings
    Connections Tab (at bottom)
    Connections Icon

Set up a mobile (locationless) dial config, to make sure the dial number is clean when sent to the mobile:
    Tap: Dialing Locations Tab (at bottom)
    Tap: New...
    Type in: Mobile
    Clear Area code box
    Clear Country code box
    Tap: Dialing Patterns...
    Leave only a G in each text box
    Tap: OK (at top)

Now create the GPRS configuration:
    Tap: Connections Tab (At bottom)
    Tap: Modify... (under Internet Settings)
    Type: Voda WAP G 6310 IR (or any unique label for connection)
    Select Modem: Generic IrDA modem
    Baud rate: 57600
    Advanced settings defaults are OK
    Tap: Next
    Country code: Leave Blank
    Area code: Leave Blank
    Phone Number: *99#

Keep defaults:
    Check: Cancel if not connected with 120 sec
    UnCheck: Wait for dial tone before dialing
    Leave: Wait for credit card tone 0 seconds

Now you need to enter into the Extra dial-string modem commands:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.vodafone.ie"

Note GPRS WAP login details:
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin

Now to configure ezWAP and associate that connection with it
    Start, Program
    Tap: ezWAP v2 icon (not the securID one)
    Tap: Tools (from the bottom menu)
    Tap: Options...
    Select: Voda WAP G 6310 IR (or what you called the above connection)
    Connect automatically, suggest you leave it unchecked and use Tools, Connect manually (better for an IR connection to make sure you’re aligned first)
    Type Homepage: http://wap.e-merge.ie
    (Leave other defaults checked)
    Tap: Connection Tab (at bottom)
    Tap: Gateway (radio button)
    Type Address: 10.24.59.100
    Type Port: 9201
    Uncheck: Connectionless
    Uncheck: WTLS secured connection
    (you can leave the rest of the settings default)

Tap: Tools (from bottom menu) and Connect

Enter in the login details:

Check Save Password if you wish
    Make sure Dial From, has the Mobile one you created selected

Now on the Nokia make sure active GPRS sessions are deactivated (no G symbol)
    Activate IR by pushing Menu then 9
    Align your devices

Tap Connect

The Nokia should display:
    IR indicator solid (not flashing)
    Creating GPRS Connection animation
    The a G should appear in the top left

Back on the PocketPC you should have a connection made.
    In ezWAP, tap the Home icon and you should get the e-merge Homepage, as shown in the attached image. To enter your other addresses Tap View Menu and Address bar. Suggested other WAP sites given in first post of this thread.

To disconnect:
    Tap: Tools (from bottom menu) and Disconnect
    or from the Today screen tap the dial-up connection icon (at the bottom) and disconect.

I also use Vodafone HSCSD connection with any spare off-peak included minutes I've left (keeping an eye on those using My Vodafone Account details). Let me know if you want the HSCSD settings.

When the GPRS Web (ISP Access point) is made available you can use the in-built Pocket Internet Explorer WAP features on any web reachable WAP sites (e-merge will only be assessable using the WAP gateway though).

HTH,
    Brian G

Got this great letter from Voda**** today.
    Quote:
    "INTERNET ACCESS ON THE MOVE!
    To date you have been able to access WAP services over GPRS, now from July 1st Vodafone will also offer you internet access over GPRS"

Did anyone in Vodafone notice that the actual letter is date July 19th?!
    Bunch of ****wits.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I got the same letter too. Looks as though we are being charged from Jul 1st even though we were told it was free. Can't wait to get the next bill, they better not have charged me up to 19th Jul.
    By the way, is it over expensive or what? 2c per KB (that's €20.48 per MB folks). Option 1 is even funnier €12 standard charge (includes 1MB), then I think it's €8 per MB thereafter. Then there's option 2 (for "Heavy" users) - €24 (includes 5 MB) and a hefty charge per MB thereafter (can't remember exactly what it is).
    These prices are crazy. Even if I wasn't using my laptop or PDA to surf the web (which I won't be given these prices), it would cost a fortune just to use WAP over GPRS (I was using about 1MB per week). So much for that then.
    It gets better - the "always on" is also a con-job as you are charged a minimum of 22c each time you resume browsing. I'm switching off my GRPS now. You would think that they would be trying to encourage people to use GRPS. At this rate 3G will cost about €40 per page!!
    Finally, if you look closely at the brochure that Vodafone supplied there's a nice young lady smiling on the front of it, however if you look closer still you will see she is giving us all the "finger". I recon this is on purpose, given the crazy pricing plans. How does this compare to O2 anyone? (on even other countries)??

Rant over!!

But my whole point is that Internet over GPRS is still not available!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Internet over GPRS is available now. You have to download a program called "Connect Me" from the Vodafone website...

Hmm, 2 choices for me: move to O2 and get decent GPRS but get very poor coverage in my house....or pay Vodafone ripoff prices for their GPRS?

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone with one of Vodafone's customer care people who:

1) Was not aware of the letter that had been send out.
    2) Told me that Internet over GPRS would not be available untill August 1st....

Draw your own conclusion....

Originally posted by DubWireless
    Here's the details for Vodafone WAP GPRS with the Pocket PC (2002) and the Nokia 6310

It's outlined for IR connection, Bluetooth has a few more steps, if you want them I'll outline it in another post (so not to try and cover too much in this).

Using Voda GPRS WAP (WAP Access point) on the PocketPC you need to download a WAP client, I use ezos ezWAP app. There is an full featured evaluation version 2.1 here (a note pops ups from time to time or $25 for the reg version). It does bring WAP to life with a decent screen on and easy input on a PDA.
    http://www.ezos.com/Main_Netscape.asp?content=/soft/ezwap/ezwap21.asp

On the PocketPC:
    Start, Settings
    Connections Tab (at bottom)
    Connections Icon

Set up a mobile (locationless) dial config, to make sure the dial number is clean when sent to the mobile:
    Tap: Dialing Locations Tab (at bottom)
    Type in: Mobile
    Clear Area code box
    Clear Country code box
    Tap: Dialing Patterns...
    Leave only a G in each text box

Now create the GPRS configuration:
    Tap: Connections Tab (At bottom)
    Tap: Modify... (under Internet Settings)
    Type: Voda WAP G 6310 IR (or any unique label for connection)
    Select Modem: Generic IrDA modem
    Baud rate: 57600
    Advanced settings defaults are OK
    Country code: Leave Blank
    Area code: Leave Blank
    Phone Number: *99#

Keep defaults:
    Check: Cancel if not connected with 120 sec
    UnCheck: Wait for dial tone before dialing
    Leave: Wait for credit card tone 0 seconds

Now you need to enter into the Extra dial-string modem commands:

Note GPRS WAP login details:

Now to configure ezWAP and associate that connection with it
    Start, Program
    Tap: ezWAP v2 icon (not the securID one)
    Tap: Tools (from the bottom menu)
    Tap: Options...
    Select: Voda WAP G 6310 IR (or what you called the above connection)
    Connect automatically, suggest you leave it unchecked and use Tools, Connect manually (better for an IR connection to make sure you’re aligned first)
    Type Homepage: http://wap.e-merge.ie
    (Leave other defaults checked)
    Tap: Connection Tab (at bottom)
    Tap: Gateway (radio button)
    Type Address: 10.24.59.100
    Type Port: 9201
    Uncheck: Connectionless
    Uncheck: WTLS secured connection
    (you can leave the rest of the settings default)

Tap: Tools (from bottom menu) and Connect

Enter in the login details:

Check Save Password if you wish
    Make sure Dial From, has the Mobile one you created selected

Now on the Nokia make sure active GPRS sessions are deactivated (no G symbol)
    Activate IR by pushing Menu then 9
    Align your devices

Tap Connect

The Nokia should display:
    IR indicator solid (not flashing)
    Creating GPRS Connection animation
    The a G should appear in the top left

Back on the PocketPC you should have a connection made.
    In ezWAP, tap the Home icon and you should get the e-merge Homepage, as shown in the attached image. To enter your other addresses Tap View Menu and Address bar. Suggested other WAP sites given in first post of this thread.

To disconnect:
    Tap: Tools (from bottom menu) and Disconnect
    or from the Today screen tap the dial-up connection icon (at the bottom) and disconect.

I also use Vodafone HSCSD connection with any spare off-peak included minutes I've left (keeping an eye on those using My Vodafone Account details). Let me know if you want the HSCSD settings.

When the GPRS Web (ISP Access point) is made available you can use the in-built Pocket Internet Explorer WAP features on any web reachable WAP sites (e-merge will only be assessable using the WAP gateway though).

HTH,
    Brian G

Brian,

I only got around to trying this now and am running into a problem.
    After configuring both units as per instructions I get the following error on the Ipaq when trying to connect:
    "There is no modem at the number dailed. Verify the phone number and then try again. To change your connections settings, blah, bla, blah..."

Any ideas?

E.

hi , no worries, will try and see what's up

that usually comes up when there is a problem with the connection between the devices, just to go through these first to rule them out:

you're using IrDA not Bluetooth (Bluetooth is a little different to set-up)?
    you've Generic IrDA Modem selected as the Modem type in the WAP Connection Settings on the iPAQ?
    you've IR actvated on the Nokia (and the top aligned with the top of the iPAQ)?

and to check:
    you can connect to WAP using the 6310 handset itself thru' the Services Browser?
    you haven't got a GPRS session already running on the Nokia when trying to connect with the iPAQ (G symbol already on the Nokia display)?

and some background:
    what version of software is on the Nokia (key in *#0000#)?
    what model of iPAQ and ROM version (Settings > System > Asset Viewer > Version > ROM Revision)?
    when you do try and connect does the IR symbol do anything flash / constant / flashes again (or a sequence of these)...

BrianG

you're using IrDA not Bluetooth (Bluetooth is a little different to set-up)?

Yes.

you've Generic IrDA Modem selected as the Modem type in the WAP Connection Settings on the iPAQ?

Yes.

you've IR actvated on the Nokia (and the top aligned with the top of the iPAQ)?

Yes.

and to check:
    you can connect to WAP using the 6310 handset itself thru' the Services Browser?

Yes.

you haven't got a GPRS session already running on the Nokia when trying to connect with the iPAQ (G symbol already on the Nokia display)?

No.

and some background:
    what version of software is on the Nokia (key in *#0000#)?

V 04.10
    04-01-02
    NPE-4
    (c) NMP

what model of iPAQ and ROM version (Settings > System > Asset Viewer > Version > ROM Revision)?
    Ipaq 3630
    Rom: 10/03/01

when you do try and connect does the IR symbol do anything flash / constant / flashes again (or a sequence of these)...

Flashes.

E.

Ipaq 3630
    Rom: 10/03/01

can you give me some extra details from the Settings, Asset Viewer: it should list the ROM Revision figure also.

and in Settings, About: it should say what Microsoft Pocket PC Version it is

thanks
    BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    can you give me some extra details from the Settings, Asset Viewer: it should list the ROM Revision figure also.

and in Settings, About: it should say what Microsoft Pocket PC Version it is

thanks
    BrianG

ROM revision: 2.14.03 ENG
    OS version: 3.0

E.

thanks - sorry for the 20Qs just working out what you are running

are you able to send a Contact / Calendar entry from the iPAQ to the 6310 over Infrared?

BrianG

I've never tried that. I presume you're trying to determine if the IR link works.
    It does anyway as I currently dail in to my ISP to retrieve my email.
    Want to use GPRS for this hence my questions....

E.

Originally posted by mayhem#
    I've never tried that. I presume you're trying to determine if the IR link works.
    It does anyway as I currently dail in to my ISP to retrieve my email.
    Want to use GPRS for this hence my questions....

i was indeed :) - can you double check the string you are entering to connect

the above instuctions were for WAP access point:

a different modem string will cause the phone to give up, you see the IR symbol on the Nokia flash as normal, but it will stay constant for a second (it then gives up) and begins to flash again

if you are doing a dial-up from the iPAQ with no problems then it should work :) the CSD or HSCSD dial-up connection is a similar set-up, GPRS just uses a different init string to prepare the modem and "dialing" *99# to initiate the GPRS connection, and defined DNS servers for the ISP access point

if you do want to check your e-mail and browse web-sites (non WAP sites) you'll need to use the ISP access, ensuring this has been activated at Vodafone's end:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.vodafone.ie"

Server assigned IP and the DNS addresses to use are: 213.233.128.19 and 213.233.128.1

username and password: vodafone
    (although these can be left blank - but sometimes causes trouble on some devices if left blank)

if ISP access point hasn't been set-up you should get a message on the 6310 stating: Subscribe to GPRS first

A side note is Vodafone can switch the WAP access point for it's Live! customers to live.vodafone.com from wap.vodafone.ie, at least they did on one of my accounts, they left both on with another

so if you've been moved to the Live! service the WAP string would be:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","live.vodafone.com"

failing that the software in the 6310 may be having problems with initialising the modem with a GPRS string over IR, I looked at the fixes from V 4.10 to V 4.20 (my current 6310) but it doesn't highlight this, so let's check the Modem string first. most of the fixes were to do with Bluetooh and the Car Kit, although there were a few GPRS detials listed, but nothing specifically about initialising over IR

BrianG

• Advertisement

Brian,

Thanks I will try it out as soon as I get a chance.
    Do you work with this stuff or is it some kind of hobby that got out of hand?

E.

Advertisement