Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tope

Options
  • 27-06-2002 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Tope.jpg
    For those interested

Tope have started to appear around the Rosslare area My bro saw 2 caught, abt 15lbs-he just caught a doggie..
    all caught on mackerel..
    if you fish for tope watch your rod and loosen the clutch (if you want to keep your tackle...)
    if you catch tope please return

Tope Record is 66lb 8oz Specimen weight is 40lb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

every year we go tope fishing.
    we use a mackrel bait(fillet,try to keepo away from the head)
    a 1-1.5 meter trace(of 300lb+breaking strain) with only one hook the the end of it.
    we connect the lead to the snap swivel at the top.

now when you get a bite from a tope it is important that you dont strike the first time.
    you let him run for a bit.he will stop himself.
    now you strike and hold on for dear life :) you should have your drag(clutch) loosened a bit because these guys really put up a fight.
    personally the biggest i've caugh is arounf the 45lb mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    now you strike and hold on for dear life :) you should have your drag(clutch) loosened a bit because these guys really put up a fight.

What is your signature about?
    Were you fishing from the shore..?

my sig is a joke..NOT to be taken seriously

i fish from a boat 29' long we fish the south of galway bay.there is a good hole of traught beach,another off parkmore pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

More substantial tope was caught last weekend-one of about 25-30lb or so in Rosslare form the shore. Weather may improve this weekend-don't know how long it will last..

my brother was out yeaterday evening.. he caught 2 rays(dont know what size) and one tope(in the region of 30LB :) ) so the season is looking promising so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement