Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oleary has left leeds

• 27-06-2002 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Leeds United today announced that manager David O'Leary has left the Premiership club by mutual consent. The former Irish defender joined the Elland Road club four years ago and had spent millions in search of success. But officials at the club have today shocked the football world by announcing that O'Leary and the club have parted company.

The club had published a statement from Chairman Peter Ridsdale on their official web-site saying Leeds PLC announced the departure of David O'Leary as manager by mutual consent. There is no reason why O'Leary decided to leave Elland Road but the pressures of some off the field incidents could have been a major factor behind his exit. Leeds are hoping that an announcement regarding a successor can be announced in the next few weeks.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2002/0627/soccer/leeds.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yeah just heard it WOW
    guess he doesnt want his team broken up.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

jaysis, thats a shocker alright. Perhaps he can come into the Irish national setup maybe as a future replacement for Mick. You know sorta let him in charge of an underage team etc. I suspect there`ll be quite a few clubs looking for him, and he`ll not be outta verk for long.

Fair play to him for fighting the machine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It was only a matter of time before O Leary left,he did well to transform them from mid-table to genuine contenders,but he lost the support of his players the mintue he published his book about the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭nore

Leeds did well to get rid of the phoney c%nt!
    All he cares about is himself. Writing that book about the trial involving his players. And then recently saying he could understand why Ferdinand might want to go to ManU! His job is to protect the interests of Leeds United but he doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word loyalty.
    Let's hope he never manages the National team - he's an odious individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You know sorta let him in charge of an underage team etc

Brian Kerr not doing a good enough job???

Any vacancies in England that he might take cant think of any meself.
    kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NO suprise except in the timing (I was thinking more like October
    in the first managment cull of next season), you can't spend £95
    million and not win anything...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Can someone clear this up as fact? A certain English radio station (OK, BBC Radio 5 Live) is reporting that O'Leary was indeed sacked. Does anyone have indisputable proof of this "fact"?

O'Leary said it himself in an interview at his house, "I went into
    the office this morning and they said I was sacked"

Everyone seesm to think they have a replacement lined up, but who and will his first act be to clear the decks to cover the £15 million the board want/need. Robbie keane to Sunderland?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

apparently not making the champions league made it hard for the club to meet the wage bill and has to sell some of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

So the "mutual consent" story lasted less than 2 hours. The chairman picked the team last season anyway, O Leary is a spineless Brit arsé licker.
    90 million, 3 years, and no trophies. If I were a Leeds fan (and I don't like them) I would be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I wonder who they intend to get now? theres a serious lack of quality managers around at the moment,although for some reason Mick mc Carthy seems to be the favorite. That would be a major backward step.

Best option would be vialli recently released by Watford cause they couldnt afford him,and he's proven for at the top level,you just have to look at all the the trophies he won at chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Theyd be mad to go for vialli imo. Vialli inherited a pretty good squad already involved in competitions and didnt do anything to forward them. He just kept the momentum going.

The tabloids are having a field day with this, there was 3 IN/OUT headlines today involving O Leary, O Neill, McCarthy and ..... Eamo Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I'm glad Leeds finally sacked O'Leary to be honest. He clearly is a fool when it comes to managing and the idea that he somehow a talented gaffer with a successful career ahead of him has to be the biggest myth in English football.

His managerial' career' has been built on purely on assembling a squad of players, half of which were supplied free of charge courtesy of youth system set up by Howard Wilkinson and the other half coming at a cost of 96.6 million quid!

The net result of his management, despite being bankrolled in a way Kenny Dagleish during his blackburn days could only have dreamt of is .... ZERO trophies in four years and not even a place in this years champions league which, let's face it, can practially be bought for half the price of O'Learys transfer delvings.

Add to this his cashing in with 'Leeds on Trial' right in the middle the Woodgate/Bowyer trial and you can see that he is either an insensitive fool who has no idea of tact or more likely he is an opportunistic money grabber who's mind is on filling his own pockets rather than improving his team. If it was the former then it's a pity he couldn't have applied those skills to repairing the 70 million transfer deficity he has caused in less than 5 years.

Let's just hope the idiot enjoys his 8 million windfall and doesn't get any ideas that he'd like to get anywhere near the Irish set-up ... even if McCarthy takes over at Elland Road! !

Originally posted by Bateman
    O Leary is a spineless Brit arsé licker.

Ouch! (...well he was born in Britain! :D )

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

The English Tabloids are tipping Martin O Niell as the new boss of leeds.I cant see it myself as he turned down the job priviously to stay at liecester.I dont see the job being any more appealing to him now he is at celtic for whom he has a great affinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think Leeds would be very wise to hire McCarthy, a proven manager with an unmatched track record in management. They should spend whatever it takes to get him, hes the sort of manager that can bring something special to a club. I feel the Leeds fans will also be delighted to get hold of him, this could be the best move for McCarthy and Leeds, Ireland will have to soldier on somehow but it would be crinimal to stand in McCarthys way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

as much as i disagree with you sand, lol :)

Originally posted by Sand
    I think Leeds would be very wise to hire McCarthy, a proven manager with an unmatched track record in management. They should spend whatever it takes to get him, hes the sort of manager that can bring something special to a club. I feel the Leeds fans will also be delighted to get hold of him, this could be the best move for McCarthy and Leeds, Ireland will have to soldier on somehow but it would be crinimal to stand in McCarthys way.

...and said with a straight face!

I think they'll hire Brian Kidd, or maybe Roy Hodgson, or maybe
    George...nah it'll be Martin O' Neill Celtic is no challange
    Leeds are a good team underperforming O' Neill has the nouse to
    make them great again (sadly!)

Mike.

p.s here's an interesting link showing the relative success of Leeds managers through the clubs history O'Leary is the second best! http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/managers/

edit: I've just checked a link and Leeds made £10mill profit last season maybe they dont need the money quite as much as they
    say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

O Neill leave Celtic for Leeds............. dream on!!!!!!

Actually it could happen if, the board fail to match O Neills ambitions for the club (unfortunately this is sadly the case because of the economic plight of Scottish football)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

The reason that I am glad to see O'Leary go is because (no offence, Leeds fans-and I hope and pray I don't get any abuse when I say this) is because I always thought-and now it looks as though I was right- that this "nice guy David" image that he's been trying to cultivate since he took over at Elland Road was false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Youre right ChristyG,

Every interview he gave he referred to the team as his babies and anytime a result went the wrong way his excuse was "we are a young team still learning".

I think people got sick of him and his excuses. For the amount of money he spent not only should he have qualified for the CL but should have been in the mix for the title.

One thing I couldnt understand last season was that he stuck with that fat bollix Viduka for the whole season when he had Keane and Smith on the bench. Viduka had a disastrous season and yet he would never drop him. Then for the WC he is on BBC praising Robbie Keane for his performances and he was his fourth choice striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Apparently Leeds have come to a unanimous decision on whoever it is that they want as the new manager and will approach the candidate to see if they are interested during the next two days.

Advertisement