Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD RW

• 27-08-2001 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

They r about ST£500 now,,

how long dye think until they hit around IR£190 - 250

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I dont have an idea about the price of the drive itself, only to say it will depend on market conditions but...

I do remember hearing somewhere ( I think Technofile on Sky news !? ) that the media will be quite expensive- ie £20 per disk !! (dont hold me to that)

Its alright if you're using it to backup or store stuff, but if its just to burn DVD movies then it mightn't be great value.

I suppose though over time inevitabbly the price of both drives & disks will go down like w/ cd's now- 30p per disk is the best I've seen so far.

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

4.7Gb DVD-RW's are £11 stg at the moment.

I'd imagine they'll have halved by summer next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Once people start to adopt the DVD RW technology prices will begin to drop fast. The companies producting the Hardware/Media have to recoup their R&D costs. Once they see a strong uptake of the technology they will drop prices proportionally.

The same thing happened with CD R/RW.

All it takes is a bit of time

"I'd rather have a bottle infront of me than a frontal lobotamy"

It's pretty much the lowest (I think they had half that as the starter for DVD-Ram). Anyway, 9.6gb capacity should be available very soon.

If you just want storage though at the moment it's still cheaper to just use a large HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I heard there are new ones being made that are 17 gb somtin about layers and double sided???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/dvd/dvdspecs/dvdformats.htm

"I'd rather have a bottle infront of me than a frontal lobotamy"

[This message has been edited by leeroybrown (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

the process in making cdr/rw and dvdr/rw are nearly the same so give it a few years and u will see dvdr discs going for 50p.and it is possible to get 100gig discs.tdk make them the have 8 layers and 2 sides or somthing like that ill have a look for a link.

life:sexualy transmitted allways fatal
    pa153@hotmail.com

Aye, but the idea is to get something compatible with existing DVD players, and those TDK's won't be.
    The next big jump in capacity for consumer level is likely to come with Blue-Laser DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

disregard that,the ad i saw for 100gb discs was actualy for dat tapes.and it was fujifilm not tdk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

DVD RW are more like 650 sterling not 500
    dubble layer with get you a 9 gb DVD for about 20 sterling.

having more then two layer have caused problems, IBM have been looking into multi layer tech and havent had much success.

Allso these DVD RW are only 2X can you imagine how long it would take to burn a 9 gb DVD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can dvd-rw's over here for just over the 7 quid mark.
    the drives are now about 430 i think

you sure they werent DVD R not DVD RW

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    you sure they werent DVD R not DVD RW

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 28-08-2001).]
    </font>

no

No as in No they were DVD RW or no as in im not sure, anyway were about were these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

So is it possible to get a standalone dvd-rw unit that sits on top of your tv like a vcr, but records progs in dvd quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    Allso these DVD RW are only 2X can you imagine how long it would take to burn a 9 gb DVD?</font>
    Since it's a dvd rw then surely that's 2x dvd speed. Still not great but that's 2.64mb/s which is about 18x cd rom speed. Hardly slow.

Unfortunately the software that ships with that Pioneer drive has to perform a full test if you choose 2x, so you only really get 1x regardless.

Rowan, that'd be a no. You'd still need to encode to MPEG2 and god knows how much a quality real-time encoder would cost (You could stick an ATI All In Wonder into a PC and try it that way but the quality wouldn't be great). Eventually I can see that becoming viable if you can get a MPEG2 digital stream (from whatever broadcaster) and intercept/burn it before it's decoded. A fair few years away. You'd be better off getting a hard drive based TIVO kit, it's getting pretty popular in the states now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

£11 stg not bad for 4.7 gb- especially if its RW. As stated the price will plummett smile.gif

Is 4.7gb the standard size like 650 mb for CD's ??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement