Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leeson street place

Options
  • 27-06-2002 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

three girls in my class are doing 6th year in leeson st.
    two of them did no work at all ever.
    one of them did a bit.
    they blame their [now] old school for them not being good academically.
    methinks theyre friggin dumbasses.
    any reaction?previous experience?

also: are the christmas courses up there good? thinking of doing a few of those in december/january myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 snake_eyes

its a good school with great teachers, but its just like anyting else you only get out of it what you put into it. if you are gonna work hard, its the place to be, youll be given every advantage.

Your friend is probably right, she probably would have done slightly better if she had been in Leeson Street for both years but that improvement would look very small compared to the improvements she could probably have made if she worked hard.

The Christmas classes are really good - you'd get good notes and stuff, but good notes are only any use if your gonna study them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

thats part of the problem- i'm good academically but when it comes to study my interest drops off. Interest had better perk up in september tho- LC in less than a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

klong i wouldnt count on your interests suddenly perking up.
    You could always test it abit by starting now but i doubt ud do that.
    I kept puting it off. Ill start after christmas, after easter, just 1 more week then before i knew it the exams had come and the world cup had started :(

still didnt do too badly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

From my experience of doing 5th and 6th year in a public school and repeating in a private school i must say that going to the private school would have been the better option in 5th year rather than public school. If you are lazy like me than public schools are a bad idea but if you are forced to actually do some work than the rewards can be very sweet :)

My opinion on revision courses? Don't waste your money. I don't think there is any reason for getting help in a subject unless you are really struggling. If you feel that you must spend some money than i would choose 1on1 grinds. I got these from a college bud of mine for maths on a few areas where i was sketchy and they really helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

klong i wouldnt count on your interests suddenly perking up.
    You could always test it abit by starting now but i doubt ud do that.
    I kept puting it off. Ill start after christmas, after easter, just 1 more week then before i knew it the exams had come and the world cup had started

I agree. I kept thinking all year that I'd start working soon, and that I'd start doing some study around easter, I never really started working at school, and I only started studying properly the day before english (had about 5 hours in total before that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The quality of your teachers in school shouldn't really affect you that much, I mean you could teach yourself most of the syllabi (sp?) at home.

As for Leeson st, I went there for a revision course in a few subjects back in the day, it was very good, particularly the notes they give you, i'd recommend it. Don't know if i'd have gone there for the whole year though, a friend repeated there and said the atmosphere is quite stifling, lots of posh kids and the kids of ambassadors, not your common or garden school really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

etho the teacher effects you soo much. Of coarse for some students they'll do crap/great no matter what but for the rest a teacher makes a big diffrence. what about subjects like languages/english/maths or anything that must be explain. For explame in english i was getting a C all through school but now thanks to Mr.Kelly(tm) (btw who does the 6th english coarse i think) i going for a B in the Lc.!

Yeah i'm thinking of doing some course's in the institute, anyone know about the spanish one, they have one?/is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Mills

I agree. I kept thinking all year that I'd start working soon, and that I'd start doing some study around easter, I never really started working at school, and I only started studying properly the day before english (had about 5 hours in total before that).
    not always true mills. I did nothing for 5th year whatso ever. End of fifth year i applied for bruce n dat, told myself i was going to work or what ever , and well i did....they attempt to force you but if you are determined to not work you can get around it.Its still up to you but they do give a very good enviroment to improve by over 200pts easily....all depends on who you hang around with in these places 2..........try avoid the professional loosers who arn't going to work, other than that they are very good :)

Advertisement