Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping cd-rom autoeject

• 25-08-2001 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I shut down or reboot, my primary cd-rom (actually a dvd-rom) ejects, and I can't figure out why. I seem to remember this being an options in an application I installed, but I can't remember what now. Any ideas?

[BTW, thanks to everyone who replied to my last problem. I still haven't figured out what it was and I don't have time to strip the machine down, but very helpful anyway.]

adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thats really wierd. Sorry I'm not more helpful, but I never heard of anything like it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I think I *might* know what it is..
    Take out your CD-ROM, You might see two little tabs over the steel things that're covering the primary and slave ones, the cdrom is getting confused, just turn it into the slave, or primary, one or the other,
    should work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oh, I remember now, it was Nero, and it was "eject after burn", not "eject on a regular basis just to annoy you".

Thanks OJ, I'll rip the side off it later on and have a poke around, although I'm convinced it's a software or BIOS related thing, since it didn't used to do it before as far as I can remember. I'll come back later on and tell you what I broke... smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Mate of mine has an old compaq machine that started doing that recently. Annoying as week old pants it is. If you figure it out it would end this noodle scratcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you have a virus checker turn off the option to scan removable drives on shutdown.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 27-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

BTW, I figured out what it is. I have a system tray program called WatchCat that's used to hide windows (one of the better ones actually), and that has an option to eject the CD on shutdown for some utterly stupid reason. Don't you just hate it when programmers get ahead of themselves and start adding rubbish to their apps for absolutely no reason?

Anyway. thanks for your help folks. Now I just have to figure out why my fresh installation of IE6 opens nested links on the Links toolbar in a new window. Very annoying that, I thought I had it fixed...

adam

Advertisement