Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling board

• 27-06-2002 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

This doesnt really belong in sport :(
    (plus it means that therell be a deluge of forum requests for Badminton and Cricket - "But theres a wrestling board like")

Pro Wrestling - Sport or Not Sport? 12 votes

Sport
    0% 0 votes
    Not Sport
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Before you say it, i didnt ask for it. I just noticed earlier that it was moved, not to say i dont like it. now its a bit easier to find:)
    Personally i think it belongs her, because most other sites keep there wrestling section in the sports category so its handy to find, also Angling is in there too and thats more of a hobby, but we're just getting into talking bull****e once we start debating whats classified as a sport and whats not.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bad bad idea. Wrestling isn't a sport. It's threatre (not that I'm saying it's good...)

Why don't we just put Smallville under Sport too. I mean, people move in it. Surely that counts as excercise. Which is a sport, kinda.
    And Gardening. Gardening is more of a sport.

BooOo, down with this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i like gardening.

i dont wear spandex

therefor i suggest we lose the wrestling (they are all ghey anyway) and have a gardening forum.

i also like cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

On noe the bold bold wrestling board is in full view of the public! :rolleyes:

Jesus if it bothers ye that much why dont ye put some tape over the part of the screen where it shows up on the drop down menu :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Should be a community board and not under Sport.

A sport is an event that doesnt have a pre determined winner. Therefore there's an element of competition about it... wrestling is all predetermined and while wrestlers are athletes, it's not a sport.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

In case some people are confused, the Pro Wrestling board was set up for the Sports Entertainment end of things i.e. WWF, and thats why people have a problem. It would be impossible to dispute the fact that there is a sport called wrestling, where people actually compete against each other, however thats not what the board was set up for, and is about the wwf type of wrestling - the non-sport type. So when people say wrestling in this thread they actually mean the self labelled sports entertainment brand of wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    therefor i suggest we lose the wrestling (they are all ghey anyway) and have a gardening forum.

can i be mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I don't know much about this. But don't they do a spot of wrestling in the Olympics? Therefore isn't it a sport. And I'm pretty sure I've seen Sumo wrestling on a sports channel at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Perhaps a sub menu of Films / TV could be created with it in it but defo not sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i also like cake.

Miss something?

boards Gardening forum

Now a cake forum, I could go for that. Some Philistines might see that fitting in the Food/Drink forum though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah but wrestling as a sport (mano a mano) is totally different from WWF, which is what the "Wrestling" board is about.

Wrestling as a sport, as someone mentioned, is like any other sport. You battle it out, someone wins.

WWF is more like a live fighting film. It's all acting, and the winner is pre-determined. Therefor it is not a sport, no matter how much physical activity or jumping around goes into it. Plus the outfits are **** ;)

I have always said there should be a cake board. No one listens. I think we agreed it should be Cake & Kittens though. Let's have a vote, all in favour... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by bombidol
    also Angling is in there too and thats more of a hobby, but we're just getting into talking bull****e once we start debating whats classified as a sport and whats not.:)

Sorry-but angling is a sport-with hunting one of the oldest...
    I'll leave it at that..
    jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wrestling isn't a sport. It's extremely low-grade soap opera. Back to Community board status with thee!

The wrestling board, like most other wrestling boards on the net can cold, Amature, olympic, pro, greco roman, Vale Tudo, UFC, Pride, you name, any form of grappling, so if anyone is interested in these feel free to post away i wont close em or move em. Rename the board from Pro Wrestling to just wrestling.
    I have another big spiel about wrestling but im not going into it, You peoples only exposure to pro wrestling is WWF, which is actually looked down upon by true pro wrestling fans because its like coronation street.

Bomb:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

cake++

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

let it be a sport, if u got Devore logic1 Cloud Regi and Whitewashman, and put them in a square ring, and told them they had to pin each other for a count of three that would be the best sport ever (idea for a boards.ie event maybe?).

Though might be unfair on logic making him climb into the ring without some sort of automated lifting apparatus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Vote here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

pro wrestling is a sport. (amature,olympic, etc)
    WWF crap is not. (its just a soap opera contained in a ring)

i think some people are getting mixed up between both.

WWF is entertainment for rednecks

pro wrestling is a 'proper' sport.

i dont like wrestling but if there is a forum for it why can it not be under the title of 'sport'.
    after all, that is what it is.

i vote to leave it where it is and classify it as a sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by Cloud
    Vote here.

Is the question whether or not it is in fact a sport or whether or not it belongs under the sport heading as a forum?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by alb
    Is the question whether or not it is in fact a sport or whether or not it belongs under the sport heading as a forum?
    if it viewed as a sport by the majority of people that vote then it will probably go under the heading of sport.
    so to answer your question i think the poll is to determine if the boards community views wrestling as a sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Well as already mentioned sumo wrestling and greco roman wrestling ARE sports. the winner is not predetermined, it's fair competition. WWF or 'professional' wrestling (which is what the wrestling board here is about) is not a sport. They themselves call it sports entertainment and admit that it is scripted. Don't these facts make this pole pointless. Perhaps the pole should be asking what heading this board woudl be best suited to i.e. community, sport, Tv/film or after hours for example. just my 2 cents

oh god please make it stop... please.... In the grand scale of things people, it doesnt matter where the board is placed, its still going to be there. just leave it be and delete these anti wrestling threads cause i cant deal with it anymore,:(

Originally posted by alb
    Well as already mentioned sumo wrestling and greco roman wrestling ARE sports. the winner is not predetermined, it's fair competition. WWF or 'professional' wrestling (which is what the wrestling board here is about) is not a sport. They themselves call it sports entertainment and admit that it is scripted.

i was of the opinion that pro wrestling was not scripted. that is why i voted to classify it as a sport.

of course i knew that sumo wrestling was not scripted, but i taught that pro wrestling was the same.

if i am wrong then i would like to retract what i said earlier. let me be the first to say that i didnt know what i was talking about
    Originally posted by Rabies
    pro wrestling is a 'proper' sport.

bombidol, could you clear this up for me. is pro wrestling scripted or not????

[edit]ok bomb, just saw your post. i'll stop asking Q's. havent a clue what i'm talking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bombidol
    oh god please make it stop... please.... In the grand scale of things people, it doesnt matter where the board is placed, its still going to be there. just leave it be and delete these anti wrestling threads cause i cant deal with it anymore,:(

can we make it a private forum so we dont actually see the board if we accidentally browse its way?
    Originally posted by DeVore

cake++

flash git.
    Originally posted by sceptre

Miss something?

boards Gardening forum

GODDAM IT!

why did no one tell me there was a gardening forum????

hello????

work with me here people!

oh, and i saw no to the wrestling board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Dustaz
    (plus it means that therell be a deluge of forum requests for Badminton and Cricket - "But theres a wrestling board like")

Someone suggested a cricket forum?

Coo. I'd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Rabies

i was of the opinion that pro wrestling was not scripted. that is why i voted to classify it as a sport.

Pro wrestling is NOT a sport. Its outcome is pre-determined. there is no competition.

Id much rather see Films/TV split up into a section with Film, Tv and pro wrestling. (Even if wrestling doesnt go there, it would be nice to see those two split up anyway? anyone? Maybe the art/animation could go into the same section.)

Is the vote to put sport into the sports section? cos i dont think theres any criteria that it could be classified as a sport under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

The Oxford Dictionary defines 'sport' as an atheltic activity which is a category WWF type wrestling undeniably falls into. As to the issue of how Pro Wrestling should be categorised within boards.ie my opinion is that it should be put it into the 'tv/films' section due to the product describing itself as 'sports entertainment' with the leaning being towards entertainment rather than sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thank you Daveirl!:rolleyes:

Bomb

Advertisement