Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FW: Euro price rise boycott

Options
  • 27-06-2002 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

> Since the introduction of the Euro, the prices of goods and services have risen by an average of 15% in Ireland across all sectors (over 1 euro for each 8 you spend). With the government that promised harsh penalties standing idly by as these irresponsible money-grabbers make off with YOUR hard-earned cash, what can you do to stop the rip-off?
    >
    > On Monday the 1st of July, from 10am - 10pm, just 12 hours, we are calling for a boycott of all the goods and services you can live without. As part of this boycott you should be especially aware of those businesses that are profiting in the current climate : pubs, supermarkets, shops, doctors, dentists, hairdressers, travel agents, cinemas, restaurants and many more.
    This boycott will coincide with those in other affected European nations making
    our voice stronger and louder.
    >
    > Remember that apart from having a personal effect on your pocket, the small group of people profiting from the confusion over the Euro are putting the entire national economy at risk of massive inflation, making the country less attractive to foreign investors and more expensive for tourists. This needs to stop NOW! Use YOUR voice on July 1st.
    >
    > If you wish to contribute further, please lodge your protest at the scandalous price increases and the government's inaction with your local TD or Consumer Affairs office.

> Please forward this to your friends and family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmm sounds familar. Bit like an urban legend.

Of course it's really not going to do anything as people would either buy more before or after to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Hmm sounds familar. Bit like an urban legend.

Of course it's really not going to do anything as people would either buy more before or after to make up.

And some things you simply have to do. Doctors/Dentists - I think people would rather get themselves sorted out then make a point. Plus supermarkets - if you have no food, then you're gonna go out and buy stuff. Again, people won't let their families go hungry (at least not on a national scale) to make a point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're right guys, but won't it make a point? A bit like the IrelandOffline Blackout made a point? Got a little media coverage, hightlighted the issue a little more, made a few more people aware of the issue? I'd be delighted to hear a better suggestion though...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by dahamsta
    You're right guys, but won't it make a point? A bit like the IrelandOffline Blackout made a point?

There's no denying that it *might* make a point, but it could also end up like the 'Buy Nothing Day' last year, which went largely ignored (and TBH this sounds a little too much like it). Also I think the areas are a little different. As Hobbes said, for someone who goes shopping every day, one day out just means they'll buy twice as much the next day. But online (at least for me), most time is spent idle, or just farting around, so one day out will only add a negligble extra amount the next day to catch up.
    I'd be delighted to hear a better suggestion though...

adam

Well, me too. It's all well and good me pointing out flaws, when I can't come up with a better idea...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'd be delighted to hear a better suggestion though...

the better suggestion would be to pick one high profile retailer and prove that they were over-charging. Then take this information to the media, and ask them to run a story about why they government hasnt acted on this.

Alternately, if you had the proof, and the real will, you could hand the proof to the government, ask them to do something about it, and if they refused, take the government to court for being in contempt of its own dictates. Again - imagine the press-coverage that would get.

Of course, this requires larger effort from fewer people which is often a major stumbling block.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement