Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom told to give rivals more access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

does this bring us closer to flate rate internet?
    will this actually lower prices for joe soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by pertinax
    does this bring us closer to flate rate internet?
    will this actually lower prices for joe soap?

Lower prices when it comes to phone calls, maybe, but I doubt it much when it comes to internet access. As for flat rate, well, Eircom will fight flat-rate to the death so I don't think it will bring us any closer to that elusive goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would regard it as a step along the way. Currently OLOs have to connect at top-level points to Eircom's network. This means that Eircom gets to charge for services that the OLOs may be able to supply themselves which decreases competetition.

This new move by the ODTR should encourage OLOs to build out their own network closer to the last mile and then use Eircom's last mile do deliver to the customer. Provided they get it right, it should fit in nicely with the Government fibre-rings project.

Advertisement