Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spreading the word about the survey!

Options
  • 27-06-2002 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I've just posted this in F1Racing.net's forum in the hope that some of the Irish regulars in there will fill out the survey. I also plan to post it on some other forums in order to try and spread the word about the IOFFL survey and Ireland Offline as a whole. Feel free to copy this yourselves and edit it if necessary and post it on any other forums you think might get some people to follow the link and complete the survey. It might be an idea to send it to friends, family or even your local TD's if you think it might help.

Anyway, here's what I posted on F1Racing.net:

As you will know, we in Ireland are currently in a dire situation when it comes to internet access compared to most other countries. While other countries enjoy the benefits of 24/7 flat-rate internet access and relatively cheap broadband access, in Ireland we are still in the dark ages when it comes to these things. We do not have flat-rate and have to pay per-minute and the new broadband offerings which Eircom are trying to sell are ridiculously over-priced and limited to certain areas. This all leads to several things:

1: Huge phone bills for users.

2: People cannot use the internet as much and, as a result, cannot take full advantage of what is becoming a very important communications, educational and information tool.

3: New people who would like get online and use the internet for the first time are put off when they hear the horror stories about huge phone bills that accessing the internet incurs here in Ireland.

4: The internet is an important business tool and the lack of flat-rate and broadband access means companies cannot compete competitively in the global market. They are at a distinct disadvantage compared to their rivals in other countries and, as it stands, Ireland is rapidly falling behind other countries in the international IT services sector. Very soon we will be so far behind that we will never be able to recover and Ireland's economy will suffer greatly.

These are just some of the problems caused by the lack of flat-rate and broadband internet access. There are many more and the situation will continue to get worse and worse unless something is done about it and done about it soon!

In May 2001 an internet pressure group called Ireland Offline was formed and in the 12 months since has been working tirelessly to address these problems and put pressure on the government, politicians, business and especially the telecoms companies to try and sort out this whole mess. Lobbying of politicians took place during the recent General Election campaign to highlight these problems to politicians and the political parties. Last November, Ireland Offline and it's members and supporters held an "Internet Blackout" day where they refrained from using the internet for a day. This got extensive coverage in the press and on TV and radio. Members of the Ireland Offline committee lobbied politicians before the new Communications Bill went before the Dail back in April in order to get an amendment added which would force Eircom to offer a flat-rate package and they were actually there in the Dail the day the Bill was passed. However, the Minister for Public Enterprise at the time, Mary O' Rourke, opposed the introduction of the flat-rate amendment to the Bill and claimed that new EU legislation would cover this. As a result, Ireland Offline are now taking their case to Europe and are planning to go there soon to meet with the relevant parties and tell them about the dire situation we are in with regards to internet access and how Eircom, the incumbant telecoms operator, have continued to monopolise the Irish telecoms industry and stifle any competition in this area.

As you can see, Ireland Offline has become the voice of the internet user in Ireland. The group has worked hard and will continue to work hard until it's goals of affordable flat-rate dial-up and broadband internet access is achieved.

In order to help them in their cause, they are carrying out a survey of current and potential internet users in Ireland. Ireland Offline wants to know how you access the internet, if you're happy with your service and what other kinds of services you would like and how much you think you should be paying for internet access. You can fill out the survey by clicking here

http://www.irelandoffline.org/survey

and it would be appreciated if you could tell friends, family, work colleagues, etc. about the survey and point them to the link. It only takes a couple of minutes and all the responses will be collected and analysed so the Ireland Offline committee can go to the relevant parties and say, "Look, this is what the average internet user wants. Provide them with it NOW!"

Together we can all make a difference and help get flat-rate and broadband internet access in Ireland and maintain Ireland's current reputation as a technically strong country.

Thanks for your time and don't forget to go and fill out the survey!

Turbowomble: supporter of Ireland Offline

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Thanks Aidan.

Tomorrow we will be posting a short mail that would be useful for firing out to everyone in your address book.

Its nice and short and simple and asks people to please take the survey! It'll got out tomorrow morning. We're hoping for a viral marketing effect with this one......lets be sure it gets everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Here's what I sent to all in my address book:
    Hi all,

As some of you might know, I'm a big supporter of Ireland Offline... It's a users representative body campaigning for cheaper and better internet access for users.

The basic fact is that Ireland is by far the most expensive country in Europe to access the internet.

The committee have created a survey to gauge public opinion, so that they can approach the telecommunication companies with hard facts.

Anyway, the survey is to be found at:

http://www.irelandoffline.org/survey

If you care about the cost of the internet, please fill it in!

Slán,

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We could make a post regarding the survey an announcement on the entire site here. You should get quite a few boards folk completing it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anyone fired a post up on P45.net? That'd get some audience....

....obviously not. That's my good deed for today so....:)

• Advertisement

Good call, thanks Seamus. We are relying on everyone to get it there, so if you think of a place, fire it out there! It may also help to send it to the admins of the sites (such as P45) to ensure it gets due attention site wide.

......and now my post has been deleted and my posting priviledges removed. Yeah, sound :rolleyes:

No room for thinking over there it seems.......

[Edit: Yes, I have been 'sinbinned' for 'spamming' according to Paul Clerkin, Managing Director of Desire publishing. Note: I copy-and pasted aidan's same one exactly, and posted it in the appropriate forum once. Ah well, fúck them. :)]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Posted as a global announcement on Foot.ie, and also sent to IIU. The P45.net forum admins strike me as a right anal bunch of militants.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Since the guys from P45.net obviously read this, and seem to be offended by my remark, perhaps I should clarify: I called you "an anal bunch of militants" for two particular reasons:

a) I have tried to register twice on P45.net, using the username 'dahamsta', and on both occasions my registration has disappeared into the ether, with no explanation.

b) The fact that you think a post drawing the attention of your users to a survey that might help them is spam. It's not spam, it's an effing cry for help. Your treatment of our members post, though, could quite easily be described as "censorship".

The only conclusion I can draw from your frankly bizarre behaviour is that you have some kind of bee in your bonnet about Boards.ie. Which isn't our problem. What, would you like us to move our board to P45.net? Some hope.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

LOL just visited p45.net and saw that huge eircom i-stream rat invaders thing in my face! :D

hehehe

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

perhaps the removal from their discussion board was because the original post reads like a big press release and isn't exactly the beginning of a discussion

it could have been an idea to send it to the site owners, although you may have burned your bridges publishing comments / slagging off like that in public, its hardly the most constructive way to further a campaign

anyhoo, i just completed the survey and will post the link on the intranet in work tomorrow

all the best,
    Brian G

perhaps the removal from their discussion board was because the original post reads like a big press release and isn't exactly the beginning of a discussion

That is my fault, and I have apologised for it. I lazily copied the chain mail message onto the thread. I am also hoping to speak with the Director of Desire Publishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

2 banner ads on the home page, thr i-scream one and a banner on top.

Hand Feeds Bite vibe coming from the 'militants' already.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thread locked (at least for the moment) due to the hassle going on with them wot run P45.net

No disrespect intended to anyone who's posted here and given their obviously honest opinions.

Still important (obviously) to get the word out where possible about the forum.

Hopefully all have received the mail from Dave and forwarded it on. If not, feel free to PM me with your mail address and I'll send it to you

(as a note: if you haven't received the mail, you probably haven't signed up with your details at the IOFFL website - it's just the occasional mail sent and will keep you informed on major events)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement