Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a graphics card

• 28-06-2002 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Got to get a new graphics card

Want at least 32 megs of ram with TV / IN

Hopefully 64 megs of ram with TV (IN/OUT)

Of Course i want it cheap :D but wheather or not it's good comes way before price, got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

could you give us an idea on how much you got to spend?
    as one persons cheap is another persons fortune (or something ;) ).

Tv-out is becoming fairly common now among cards but i believe that tv-in raises the price of the card a bit. People will need a budget really before they can give you good suggestions.

I'd suggest something like the Radeon 8500 le 64mb ddr but i aint sure if it comes with tv-in/out. Its around £120 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

If you are playing games then spend as much as you can afford on the card. It is worth it. I had a Matrox G400 for the past 18 months and laboured with it. I just got a GF4 Ti4400, $100 less than the Ti4600 and only ~7% slower...
    Best money I spent in years. OMFG does RTCW look good....

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Dont want to spend more than 150 euros (i realise TV out is probally not an option), games come first and TV out comes second, I have a 733 chip so i can still play most games with the joke of a graphics card i have. The reason i'm upgrading now is i got my hands on some films that are very high quality and my computer cant handle them fullscreen i put the resolution down and play them in a window, it's very fustrating.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Your best bet in that case would prob be that card i mentioned above. Its a good budget card and is gives decent performance in most current games. Its at lower end of the higher market.
    Wont give you great performance in games such as UT2k3 or doom3 but any game out at the moment it should be able to handle without a problem.

Should also handle full screen movies without a glitch unless of course the video quality itself is the problem.
    (most cards would handle full screen anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I'd opt for the Geforce 4 TI 4200 64mb card myself. Serious performance at value prices, and there are several flavours out there on the market at the mo.

Don't get it here.. order it over the web from the states for real value. Check tomshardware or other std review sites for the stats and you will be convinced. This card is a beast.

The only reason I don't have one is because I ended up with a 128mb GEFORCE 4 TI 4400 by default when I ordered a new system, otherwise I was buying a 4200 for sure.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Well, for 150 euros, you can actually get an ati radeon 7500 from www.komplett.ie with delivery. It's a good card, as fast as a geforce2 ultra if not faster, and the tv-out is excellent.

I would however recommend you look at the geforce4 ti4200 or the ati radeon 8500LE first and decide if they're worth the extra 50-70 euros. They are both faster than the radeon 7500 and both have the latest features like pixel shading. The radeon has better tv-out but the ti4200 is much faster and they cost about the same, around 220 euros.

Don't bother ordering from the US. They usually charge silly delivery and handling fees. Use www.komplett.ie, delivery is fast (DHL overnight, you'll get it usually in 2 days) and cheap (around 6 euros for a small item like a graphics card) and the prices for most things are fantastic. In fact, most people on boards.ie seems to love this site.

Advertisement