Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection sharing win2k-win2k

• 28-08-2001 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Problems again with my life based on my computer...."Loner!"

Anyways, problem this week children is that me Internet connection sharing aint werkin....
    I tried just the regular share internet connection on win2k, and I've tried IShare and crap like that but it just doesnt want to werk.....

I got me T-Bird 1.2 Ghz 2days and it really ****ed me off that I cant have all my machines on the net at once....

I'm on an isdn line and all machines have Windows 2000 Professional edition...

I at werk now so will check back @ about 2am.....any and all help is appreciated like usual...

Elexes.... you mentioned (at the Galway Lan) about u and ivan sharing your ISDN connection
    plz plz plz plz tell us how......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Go to the properties for your internet connection on the machine with the isdn ta. Go to sharing. Enable sharing. Set the rest of your machines to ip's in the range 192.168.0.x where x is a number between 2 and 255. (192.168.0.1 is taken by your gateway machine). Set their gateway to be 192.168.0.1 .

Hey presto, it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i am doing at the moment.
    set one up as dhcp server
    and just set other one up to use dhcp and use internet sharing, and also, hey presto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Ta Gerry but no such luck..

I've changed the IP of the computer that has teh Ta to 192.168.0.1 and the rest to 192.168.0.2 and such but no such luck...
    Internet connection sharing has been enabled on the connection and I still dont know why it wont connect...

the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 on both machines and the gateway on all teh other machines is set to 192.168.0.1

Any more tips??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm probably just wasting post space here, but just make sure all the other computers know that they're accessing through a LAN.

"I don't think anything I've ever done is wrong" - Dr. Homer Simpson

Right...I used winroute and used its proxy server features...however, only one PC can access a server at a time (Cs server that is)
    Also Mirc wont connect either, so if i want to surf the net and also play games what type of connection do i have to use???
    I have proxy, Mail, Dns and DHCP

• Advertisement

Right, whenever i try and connect to any cs server it says that it needs to require won verification, and cant...
    For Q3 it just goes back to main menu...
    the only thing i can do is surf the net....

plz help

in all fairness, with win2k its easy. im not sure why you are using a lot of other software.
    theres only 2 things you have to do, make sure that the second poc gets an ip adress when it boots up. this done using dhcp. the second is for it to know that it routes through the first pc.
    easy peasy.
    have a look at the HELP files smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

yes it is pretty easy with win2k...

you havent got any firewal type stuff running at boot up? if so, turn it off.

i use zone alarm and that screws up ics unless you know how to get around it. (get ics working first and then try and add extra's like firewalls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ok it is very easy to get working...

first off...uninstall any proxy software you have installed. Then on the gateway computer set it to use DHCP, go to run and type in cmd. This will get you the command line, type IPCONFIG, you will get it telling the IP settings of the computer, if it still says 192.168.0.1 type IPCONFIG /RELEASE.
    You now should have no settings...Change what ISP you want to use ics on....or unslect the one its on and reslect it. you should get the message saying your IP address needs to be 192.168.0.1 and the rest of the computers need to be using DHCP to access it...click ok(note: this is not true....but yours isn't working so it cant hurt) Now go to the other computers and set them to use DHCP, then with the gateway computer on, go to the command line again and type IPCONFIG /release (you may get a message saying you do not have any address set to a DHCP interface...or something to that order) then type IPCONFIG /RENEW. it will then pick up a new IP address...for all this to work the Gateway computer me be turned on and at least to its logon screen.

If you ever want to find what the IP address of the computers are just to a IPCONFIG or you should be able to type in there names in a ping and get it there.

Note: when it was saying you need to have the Gateway using 192.168.0.1....it will auto set this for you...even if you go into the network settings and it doesn't say it.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sutty:
    Ok it is very easy to get working...

first off...uninstall any proxy software you have installed. Then on the gateway computer set it to use DHCP, go to run and type in cmd. This will get you the command line, type IPCONFIG, you will get it telling the IP settings of the computer, if it still says 192.168.0.1 type IPCONFIG /RELEASE.
    You now should have no settings...Change what ISP you want to use ics on....or unslect the one its on and reslect it. you should get the message saying your IP address needs to be 192.168.0.1 and the rest of the computers need to be using DHCP to access it...click ok(note: this is not true....but yours isn't working so it cant hurt) Now go to the other computers and set them to use DHCP, then with the gateway computer on, go to the command line again and type IPCONFIG /release (you may get a message saying you do not have any address set to a DHCP interface...or something to that order) then type IPCONFIG /RENEW. it will then pick up a new IP address...for all this to work the Gateway computer me be turned on and at least to its logon screen.

If you ever want to find what the IP address of the computers are just to a IPCONFIG or you should be able to type in there names in a ping and get it there.

Note: when it was saying you need to have the Gateway using 192.168.0.1....it will auto set this for you...even if you go into the network settings and it doesn't say it.

</font>

yeah, what he said. thats exactly what i did last week and it works a treat smile.gif
    nice one ciaran, you area star wwman.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement