Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data retrieval

• 29-08-2001 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Does the text file contain lines like:

_=_NextPart_000_01C13078.1BB59BA0
    Content-Type: image/jpeg;
    name="example.JPG"
    Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="example.JPG"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAgEASABIAAD/7QySUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEA
    AQBIAAAAAQABOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAAB

or maybe these:

Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
    name="import32.exe"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: x-uuencode
    Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="import32.exe"

begin 644 import32.exe
    M35J0 , $ __\ +@ 0
    M @ X?N@X M G-(;@!3,TA5&AI<R!P<F]G<F%M

The former is Base64 and the later is UUEncoded, both methods of transferring binary (8bit) files into 7Bit-only mail systems. Word & excel documents are binary files.

There may be another encoding method or two out there, but these seem to be the most common.

1. A few approaches:
    Open the text file (using WordPad if using Windoze), select everything, copy, and paste into a new mail. Email to yourself.

2. Do a search for "freeware base64 decoder" or "freeware download uudecode" depending on which on it is. Use the text file you saved off as an input for these programs.

3. Get the sender to resend the files...

If the original mail was corrupted (possibly the cause of the email program saving off as a text file), you may be in bother, but hopefully one of the above tips will sort you out.

Good luck,
    MK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Winzip will decode UUEncode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

OMG! MadKevo i could kiss ya!! biggrin.gif it worked... my hero biggrin.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Any idea for stuff like that in Eircom webmail? wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

A user here received an email, the server didn't recignoise the format or something n dumped all the info into a .txt file.

I opened it n made out the sender n most of the message, but the attachments are all screwed up, as far as i can tell there's supposed to be 1/2 word files n 2/3 excel files but they're all mashed up together so i can't make out what they are...

I tried opening them in word n excel to no avail, anyone have any ideas???

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

Advertisement