Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fre sky still after telling them to go away

• 28-06-2002 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

This cannot last much longer. A digibox and card is working happily despite written confirmation of contract cancelled a month ago. Does anyone know of this one or is it a case when the killing hex codes are sent over the air that the card will stop working.
    I doubt Sky have forgotten me???

Ive a BBC card and funnily I dont bother putting the irish card in much (who wants E4 and BBC NI with its limitations)>
    I read elsewhere someone who had Film 4 going for a while.

Anyone else know how they stop your subscription from a technical perspective>
    Tony??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by telecinesk
    This cannot last much longer. A digibox and card is working happily despite written confirmation of contract cancelled a month ago. Does anyone know of this one or is it a case when the killing hex codes are sent over the air that the card will stop working.
    I doubt Sky have forgotten me???

Ive a BBC card and funnily I dont bother putting the irish card in much (who wants E4 and BBC NI with its limitations)>
    I read elsewhere someone who had Film 4 going for a while.

Anyone else know how they stop your subscription from a technical perspective>
    Tony??

They do it by sending a signal to your card so I suspect that your card was not in the box when this happened. To you the old expression "play it by ear and say nothing"

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi Tony,
    Well I think I would guess if I left the card in any longer it would die in a matter of hours.. Just as well I have multisat to keep me going>
    I know how to log the data from the box to the card so if I was really clever and Im not I could emulate the card in its present state before it dies....
    Ah forget it, I had my 12 months.. that was enough of sky for a while. If they dropped their prices Id reconsider.... (Utopia)
    Cheers>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Tony,
    Well I think I would guess if I left the card in any longer it would die in a matter of hours.. Just as well I have multisat to keep me going>
    I know how to log the data from the box to the card so if I was really clever and Im not I could emulate the card in its present state before it dies....
    Ah forget it, I had my 12 months.. that was enough of sky for a while. If they dropped their prices Id reconsider.... (Utopia)
    Cheers>

Is it possible for you to monitor the frequency of data sent to the card? I'd be interested to know how often they send data.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Hi Tony,
    so if I was really clever <edit>I could emulate the card in its present state before it dies....

amm, at the moment there are people who read this forum who are very clever but still cant do that.

I think if you leave the card out of the STB for a couple of weeks more you could survive for quite some time on a free ride.

Hi,
    I have been looking at a particular site which I built the datalogger pcb with the pic16F84 and programmed it as per instruction. There are files there on the site showing logs of card to box exchanges.
    I need a second digibox to "Play" with, Id rather not do any surgery on a fast stable box. Anyone out there got an old horrible amstrad100 or a grundig as a guineapig.
    Then again I may take the plunge as all I have to do is hook 4 wires to the pcb underneath the card slot,the rest is done.
    Tony, email me for details> If you have a junk digibox and can program pic chips it might be worth a shot> Not that I condone making cards but looking at the hex exchange isnt illegal?? I do it with my nokia9600 etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

It's not as simple as that :)

You'll get very little relevant information from a log, thats the whole idea of encryption! You have to physically 'dump' the content of the micro controller in the card and reverse engineer it so you know how it talks to the ASIC, then if your lucky find gaps that NDS may have overlooked to block the kill signals or even switch on the card the way they do. If you've no experience in this area then you haven't a hope in hell. People have been at this for years and NDS have improved their cards during all the years they've been hacked, learning from hackers, in fact employing them too.

Yes, I know I have no hope but there is eutopia.
    If I could Dump the IC into a secondary device then at least I could take it further.However I dont have the necessary hardware and anyway my agenda here is to see how long my card stays working beyond a month or two.
    Do you know ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well the only secondary device you can dump it onto is another identical card or a computer. Dumping it is the hard part, disassembling the code is easy. I don't know how often they send kill signals these days but they tended to send them in batches last I seen. Like over a period of a few days they'd send them at various times during the day/night to make sure they'd hit you whatever your viewing patterns were. That might go on for a few days and then stop for a few weeks.

Well the kill signals went out last night> Lost viewing this morning. not bad for a free month though> Funny thing all of yesterday my movies went first. It wasnt until 1am that the rest went.
    So end of thread methinks..
    Was good for a month though...
    ha ha thankyou sky for free digibox (er£50) and BBC for a card..

Advertisement