Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get european dvds to run on a canada ps2?

• 28-08-2001 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

My brother is planning on buying a ps2 while over on hols in canada but he wants to know how much and where he can get it chipped to run european dvds in dublin. Someone on IRC suggested sound raiser on aston queys but i'm not sure if i remember that name right. So if that's the spot could you give me a shout or is there's another way to get the job done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

read in some magazing that datel were bringing out a cartridge that alows multi-region dvds. dunno much about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ah. just found it.

called DVD Region X and it's £19.99 (probably sterling). available from Datel online shop here... http://www.codejunkies.com/shop/

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks kipper

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thorbar1:
    My brother is planning on buying a ps2 while over on hols in canada but he wants to know how much and where he can get it chipped to run european dvds in dublin. ?</font>

I'm not sure its possible to chip an NTSC PS2. PAL(ie European) PS2s output both NTSC and PAL picture formats, but NTSC(USA) models don't. Even if you get it chipped, the chip will only bypass the region restrictions - you still won't be able to play discs encoded in PAL (ie all European discs).

The cartidge that Datel makes only works on PAL PS2s, since they are capable of outputting both PAL and NTSC. There is no version for NTSC only consoles that I'm aware of.

I'm not 100% certain about this though...

On a more general note, if you are buying a PSS2 in North America be sure your TV is pure NTSC compatible - most of the ones that claim to be are only compatible with NTSC3.58, a sort of half PAL/half NTSC System that won't work with USA PS2s (sometimes called PAL60).

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The datel card may clear the region code but the PS2 will not convert NTSC to Pal, so you can watch all your region-1 DVD's in Black and White. It's a rip off, does what it says on the tin, but is sold knowing that most users will not think of the output format as you woudn't have to with a normal european DVD player.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 29-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    The datel card may clear the region code but the PS2 will not convert NTSC to Pal, so you can watch all your region-1 DVD's in Black and White. It's a rip off, does what it says on the tin, but is sold knowing that most users will not think of the output format as you woudn't have to with a normal european DVD player.</font>

That's largely untrue. As I said earlier, you will need an USA/NTSC4.43 compatible TV to watch NTSC DVDs on a PS2 (European or otherwise) - the same as for almost any DVD player (although quite a few output NTSC3.58 - the so-called PAL60 'standard', yucky colours and all).

There are very few DVD players that convert NTSC->PAL, not because its difficult to do, but because its redundant for most people as most decent PAL TVs support NTSC.

However, none of that is the problem here. The problem with buying an Region 1 PS2 is that it does not output PAL at all (AFAIK). Its unnecessary, since all Region 1 DVDs are NTSC, and all US PS2 games run at NTSC speed. (Region 2 DVDs, on the other hand are available in both PAL and NTSC formats, and European games can run in both PAL and NTSC)

So the problem you will be likely to have with hacking an NTSC PS2 will be the fact that it cannot output PAL DVDs at all. There will probably be a hack along sooner or later (AFAIK, there was one the the first Playstation).

SO in short:
    European PS2 outputs PAL, NTSC and can be hacked to play PAL or NTSC DVDs from any region.
    USA PS2 outputs NTSC only, and can be hacked to play NTSC discs from any region.

The black and white picture thing is irrelevant as it applies to all PS2s, and doesn't matter if you have a decent TV.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 29-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

So is it pointless for my brother to buy a ps2 from region 1 or will he be able to get it to run if he finds a tv with NTSC. Also what's the story with games will he be able to buy NTSC games over here?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thorbar1:
    So is it pointless for my brother to buy a ps2 from region 1 or will he be able to get it to run if he finds a tv with NTSC. Also what's the story with games will he be able to buy NTSC games over here?</font>

I would guess that it is pointless - even if the TV supports NTSC, I'm pretty certain that the unit can't output PAL in the first place, and hence he won't be able to run European DVDs or games - chipped or not.

Re: games - I think the PS2 has additional region restrictions on the games, and hence he won't be able to play games designed for other regions (say USA or Japan) on a Euro PS2 and vice-versa - I think there is a seperate mod-chip to bypass that though.

The NTSC games I referred to in the post actually run as PAL60. Sony have finally started releasing European games that have software 50Hz/60HZ switches. I think Dead or Alive 2 has one, for example.

The reason for this switch is simple: Most games are programmed to run at 60Hz (ie NTSC) and not 50Hz(ie PAL). Because of this, when the games are converted for the European market, they usually run too slow, and are squashed vertically leaving black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Running the game in its original 60Hz format solves this problem.

Sorry for the needlessly confusing and convoluted posts.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 29-08-2001).]

Hudson, the vast majority of Pal TV's don't take NTSC. It's starting to get more popular now but is not the standard you've implied.
    Pal60 it is for most folks, or nothing.
    Whereas the majority of DVD players can convert any NTSC format to Pal60.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Hudson, the vast majority of Pal TV's don't take NTSC. It's starting to get more popular now but is not the standard you've implied.
    Pal60 it is for most folks, or nothing.
    Whereas the majority of DVD players can convert any NTSC format to Pal60.
    </font>

Whatever. If you read my previous post you'll see its irrelevant to Thorbar's problem anyway.

• Advertisement

Problem? Problems interfere with rants!... smile.gif

wink.gif

Advertisement