Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring back SYL

• 28-06-2002 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Friends, Irish, Countrymen (and women), lend me your ears. Just recently I have been banned from the Personal Issues forum for citing my opinions in one of the threads. My opinions were unfairly attacked and belittled by one of the other mods here on boards and as a result of my retaliation to this, I was banned from one of my favorite forums here. I am not happy about this as I do not believe it was justified. After all, if I was that offensive, why not just ban me from boards completely.
    I am just asking you to add your name and a comment to my thread here, if you wish, just as a form of minor petition to get me reinstated back to the Personal Issues forum. If you know me from reading previous comments of mine, all the better, if not, then simply a name and an "I woz ere" will suffice.
    I don't know if this has been done before, but I'd like to give it a go, just to show certain mods here that I am not a one-dimensional brat like they believe I am, I am multi-dimensional brat!!!!!
    Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh i'll be predictable and say 'Bring him back!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Why not just PM smiles like she mentioned....

3D Brat, hehe.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

setmypeoplefree.jpg
    After all, if I was that offensive, why not just ban me from boards completely.

Dont tempt me.

DeV.

I'm better than a 3D brat, i'm like a magic-eye (picture) brat! whe whe whe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Aaaaaah, aaaaaaah, aaaaaah ya wouldn't DeVore :D

I'm no president bush, but I do like a bit of democracy. Let the people speak (although there is a possibility it could blow up in my face). I'll take the risk, I'm a desperate man :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aaaaaah, aaaaaaah, aaaaaah ya wouldn't DeVore

What, in the history of boards.ie, makes you think that.
    You were being a muppet on PI. Fio rightly warned you and kicked you.
    You may think you are a mad laugh, to me you are just another proto-muppet and its only that you are here for a good while and I havent had to spank you before that I didnt kick you right off.

Anyway, I like a bit of democracy myself, so lets move this to the admin board where it belongs... Afterhours isnt the place for it but I'll leave a link behind so people can find it.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

OMG muppertry on PI dear jesus next thing ya know Hugh Grant'll be running the place

Not a muppet, never said I was a laugh, just bein' myself

Originally posted by DeVore

What, in the histroy of boards.ie, makes you think that.
    You were being a muppet on PI. Fio rightly warned you and kicked you.

Ok I don't agree with SYL's name calling, but what peeved me what the fio deleted posts without bothering to even mention it when she finally closed the thread. The posts weren't even remotely offensive (for instance, I said 'close the thread already!') and it got deleted. I've never seen THAT done on here.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand *grin*

actually I closed the thread at Fio request because she was having tech difficulties, hence the lack of explanation.

PI is not a forum for having a laugh...

DeV.

• Advertisement

actually I closed the thread at Fio request because she was having tech difficulties, hence the lack of explanation.

PI is not a forum for having a laugh...

DeV.

Yeah I heard you closed it, the closure wasn't what I mean, it was deleting peoples' posts that weren't offensive or taking the pi** and not mentioning it when she said she was going to have it closed.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you that PI should be serious, but then again, there have been people in poking fun with ridiculous outlandish threads (the unreggies I mean) and I don't think that's being taken too seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm no president bush, but I do like a bit of democracy.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

The point was SYL, you were warned several times by other users and PI mods, but you just couldn't f*cking resist could you.

Secondly, PI isn't the best place to do it. Do your disputes with other people really have to be the problem of the PI mods, aswell as a load of other muppetry that they have to deal with?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

setmypeoplefree.jpg

Dont tempt me.

DeV.

hehehe, love it ;)

he deserved to be banned the f--* ... twas'nt right at all, I say take'em to the chop block and ban from boards if that's what he is asking for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

The posts weren't even remotely offensive (for instance, I said 'close the thread already!') and it got deleted. I've never seen THAT done on here.

To Which As A Chorus We All Sing
    BAN CASTOR TROY !!!

Could it be that you havent seen spam deleted before ,because um well its like been deleted?You havent been here long but To be honest if Einstien had published his theories of reletivity here first E=mc2 some one would have probally chipped in "Prove it" or "WOW!!!...thats really interesting" before one of the mods deleted it as h4xor tripe.Thats not to say the mods do a bad job its just the way things are round here.Thats the beauty of boards.ie.
    Of course the reverse is also true remember that spammy posts have a nasty way of coming back to haunt you later,Beleive me i know all about that...

The Moderators of Personal Issues have got one of the hardest forums to moderate and occasionally they will have to clean up a thread and remove posts that have denigrated into spam or gone widly offtopic as was the case with the mums probs posts which descended into "oaah look at at him" name calling and and continued even after Smiles had warned and removed the first round of insults.After cleaning the up the thread some posts would be less relevent than they were before,such as calling for the thread to be locked.
    A point to add to this is that if you feel a thread should be locked the correct action to take is to PM the moderator explaining your reasons you feel it should be locked.

Originally posted by Clintons Cat

To Which As A Chorus We All Sing
    BAN CASTOR TROY !!!

Could it be that you havent seen spam deleted before ,because um well its like been deleted?You havent been here long

And what are you doing now but continuing the spam after I said 'back to the issue in hand'.

As for not being here very long....29-10-2001, I hardly think thats recent and I used another nick before then.

Anyway, as I said before, back to the topic in hand or don't post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

so you have never seen posts deleted without warning?Whole threads have been known to disapear from humanities and After Hours never to see the light of day in the trolls/recycle bin.
    Why are you being so precious about a simple call for a thread to be locked/put back on topic?
    (for instance, I said 'close the thread already!')
    actually your exact words were
    Yes, lock the f-cking thread already.
    I Wonder why it ended up in the recycle bin.
    Anyway, as I said before, back to the topic in hand or don't post at all.
    Who Died and made you post monitor?
    BTW when you say "back to the topic in hand or don't post at all" you mean like "I'm better than a 3D brat, i'm like a magic-eye (picture) brat! whe whe whe".I might be spammy but coming from you thats hardly an insult is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Right, well I've explained to both eth0_ and SYL in PMs but i'll do it again here.

The thread in question is the one here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55385

He was not banned for his opinions, which are still there. Corinthian argued with them (as you can see) and SYL decided to argue back by calling him various names, which I edited out and told him not to do.

In response to:
    eth0_Ok I don't agree with SYL's name calling, but what peeved me what the fio deleted posts without bothering to even mention it when she finally closed the thread. The posts weren't even remotely offensive (for instance, I said 'close the thread already!') and it got deleted. I've never seen THAT done on here.

From a few days ago on that thread:
    Okay, here's the deal, no name calling or off-topic-ness here please.

Personally I think SYL's advice is too hotheaded, but it's still his opinion and it's staying here.

when SYL and Corinthian argue, they can do it elsewhere.

You are both expressing opinions, and thank you for them, but if you dont argee do it somewhat less emotionally/bitchily.

thank you!

<< Fio >>

edit: The junk/name-calling has been removed to the recycle bin, continue your arguement there if you must.

The next this was that SYL replied:
    Feeling a bit narked that all my postings had been removed by some mod here, I looked to quell my annoyance by looking through a few other threads. Had a look in the 'Know your nerds' one and stumbled across http://www.yorema.com/nerds/Corinthian.jpg

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

Which is a little more than off-topic and more abusive than I thought was allowed on that forum in the interest of keeping the muppetry down.

I then moved all the off-topic stuff which that had cause the to recycle bin and left a link to it in the forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56082

I was having trouble with closing the thread after I replied and had to PM DeVore to get it done (dont know why) and about 50 seconds later eth0_ had PMed me rather angrily:
    Deleting my posts
    Why did you remove my posts to the 'mum probs' thread in PI and not even PM me to tell me what horrendously controversial statement i've made??

after I explained that I had removed the muppetry to see if the thread could be salvaged, I got this
    I wasn't continuing the argument, I said the thread should have been locked if the moderators were doing their jobs properly.
    You don't have to PM people, it would be courteous to perhaps mention why posts are removed/censored for no real reason.
    I know what SYL said about corinthian was out of hand but no one else was posting abuse.

(and so on and so forth while I maintained that the stuff was off-topic and had to go - apparently I should have been more "courteous")

As for SYL, I PMed him to tell him that he was banned for being abusive. Here's his message with my reply. I think if he's questioning whether he should be moderated so loudly then it should be done here.

smiles wrote on 28-06-2002 21:31:
    SYL wrote on 28-06-2002 14:43:
    I don't think that this is really justified. I gave my opinion, fine, and then it was berated and belittled by that 'person' the corinthian. And then, my reply to 'him' caused me to get banned.

He was logical and non-abusive.

You were abusive, so i edited and left a warning, then you continued to be ignorant enough to resort of name calling and mocking, which is *not* tolerated.
    I find that a little facist to say the least, you know "oh we'll stick up for this guy because he's a mod, but not this guy because he's only a user". Thats a bit crass to say the least.

The fact he is a mod has nothing to do with you being abusive - which is why you were banned.
    I've been a user on boards for a good while now, and I've always given my 2 cents worth where I can. And then, one comment like this (provoked by another person, I should remind you) and I am locked out. I don't think that is really justified

It wasn't "one comment", you had several and I warned you about them and you continued your little squabble with name calling and mockery, *that* is why you were banned.

Your opinions are still there where you stated them, you're abusive arguments have been sent to the recycle bin.

If you learn to be less abusive then you might be unbanned in the future.

<< Fio >>

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by eth0_
    I'm better than a 3D brat, i'm like a magic-eye (picture) brat! whe whe whe

Wasn't it SYL who said he was a multi-dimensional brat, and not eth0_ ??

Oh yeah, after someone pointed out to me that they seem rather close I just noticed that SYL and eth0_ have identical IPs.... o_0

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

SYL it's traditional for someone just to wait out their punishment when banned from a forum. After the banning time has elapsed people are usually left back in.

Or some kind of apology or promise to behave, whatever.

You're probably not doing yourself any favours in the absence of any of the above.

Just MHO - decision obviously lies with smiles, Gordon and SheroN

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smiles

Wasn't it SYL who said he was a multi-dimensional brat, and not eth0_ ??

Oh yeah, after someone pointed out to me that they seem rather close I just noticed that SYL and eth0_ have identical IPs.... o_0

<< Fio >>

First off, it's none of your or anyone else's business how me and SYL are connected. Yes we have the same IP, we work in the same company. Big deal.

Secondly, HOW DARE YOU post PM's I sent you, Smiles. They're called PRIVATE for a reason!
    I hardly think that is the actions of a very good moderator, and I was not abusive to you. I don't know how you managed to become a moderator on here with an attitude like this, you are supposed to be fair, and posting private messages i've sent you is not what i'd call fair by any stretch of the imagination.

From what I gathered, this was a light hearted thread and wasn't set up for you to point out how you're so by the book when it comes to banning people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by SYL
    I do like a bit of democracy. Let the people speak (although there is a possibility it could blow up in my face). I'll take the risk

DEMOCRACY: the system of one man one vote. Well Dev's the man with that vote.

As a nOOb member of the masses, having read the thread, don't bother appeling to my better nature, it's small and hard to find and is only used for worthy causes....

Take the banning, it's probably only temporary, and we'll see you back in PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

why doesn't everyone calm down?.....you were banned for a good reason SYL...take your punishment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Here Here, it was muppetry wot got SYL banned, there was planty warnigs but they were ingored. Nearly everyone has heated disagreements with others on these boards from time to time but the posting of the link to the pic of corinthian was childish and hardly counts as posting of an opinion, as was the name calling that followed.
    I think the banning is fair.

The banning isn't my issue, pasting in private messages that I sent to a moderator is what i'm annoyed about.

What Clain said.

oh yeah and:
    Originally posted by eth0_
    The banning isn't my issue, pasting in private messages that I sent to a moderator is what i'm annoyed about.

Then thats off topic for this thread, if you want to take it up with the mod in question do so, if you want to start another thread on that topic do so, this thread was started by SYL about being banned. Personally, I think anyone who ****s around on PI is a gimp and should be banned for good.

DeV.

Having read all thats been put on here, I can safely say that boards.ie in all its glory is moderated by a bunch of Gimps. What is that saying? To make a mistake is human, but to really **** things up, you need a computer - I think that the nerds running this website have more than proved that. Well done, you bunch of spare pricks :D

Your making it worse SYL.

SHUT YOUR FAT GOB!

Have you noticed Corinthian has obviously decided not to get into this/these discussion(s) any further? It's because shutting the hell up is a pretty smart thing to do. So just ZIP IT!

Look, just do me a favour and ban me, will ya. I can't be bothered anymore

• Advertisement

but if you're banned we can't laugh at the likes of the comedy you posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

:rolleyes: Ban the high and mighty muppet , he is obviously far superior to everyone else on these Boards ...

Not as superior as me :-D Anyhow, anyone can ban themselves at any time, it's quite easy really...

Notice how the high-and-mighty mods just have to get their say in. Sad sad sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SYL
    Look, just do me a favour and ban me, will ya. I can't be bothered anymore

That's the post I always love......if you can't be bothered then don't! Why would they ban you if you don't intend posting anymore? :D

Anyway, I never thought this merited much discussion. SYL, you can read from the charter on the forum as to what is allowed. As someone said, you notice The Corinthian isn't getting involved here - that's 'cos he knows he was wrong too. So get over it. A post or two of mine was removed too, I don't care, they were spam. eth0_ what did your post say? Close this thread already? So it was removed, big deal. What possible benefit could be maintained by keeping that post there? Jeez.......

(Oh and believe it or not, mods do delete eachother's posts, and some hate eachother with a vengeance. Do a quick backtrack on this forum and you'll find some of them :))

"Sad sad sad." says the man starting an arguement over being banned from an internet message board.

• Advertisement

I say we should have a poll on whether to ban him or not..:D

Could we take this conversation to IRC aswell? My email notifications are like:

Bring Back SYL
    Bring Back SYL
    Bring Back SYL
    Bring Back SYL
    Bring Back SYL
    Bring Back SYL:rolleyes:

Originally posted by seamus

eth0_ what did your post say? Close this thread already? So it was removed, big deal. What possible benefit could be maintained by keeping that post there? Jeez.......

Hey, stop picking on me Seamus :.O(

Yep, I said "sad sad sad", thats right. But one thing thats worse than complaining over being banned from an internet bulletin site is actually moderating it. I only use this thing, you have to run it. Now that is sad, really. Anyway, I'll cash my chips now, I'm bored of playing this 'who gets the last say in' game. Such a shame though, there are a few users here who are nice. But it takes just a few rough diamonds to spoil it all and I think they have made a name for themselves here.
    Step up and take a bow.

Originally posted by SYL
    It takes just a few rough diamonds to spoil it all and I think they have made a name for themselves here.

One name springs to mind. Take a Bow, SYL.

Plus, moderating/Running something as popular as boards.ie is a pretty damn good thing. I'm sure the dudes at Cloud are pretty damn proud of themselves for what they have achieved with this site, as many others. Boards.ie gives them a bloody good entrant into their portfolio.

What do you have, SYL?

But one thing thats worse than complaining over being banned from an internet bulletin site is actually moderating it.

Someone has to make sure muppets like yerself don't run wild.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Uh, you've got petition all over your face there mate...

K

I want him to stay now. The entertainment value to be had at just laughing at the childish little posts he writes is too good to loose.

"Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur."
    It is a wise man who speaks little.

LOL!!
    Methinks the wiseman tag has been misapropriated!!!

...head in the clouds.

Originally posted by darthmise
    I want him to stay now. The entertainment value to be had at just laughing at the childish little posts he writes is too good to loose.

"loose"? You're saying SYL is a loose man? Well there's no need to be so darn offensive.

M'apologies, thats "lose"

:-D
    Sorry, it's a pet hate of mine

Secondly, HOW DARE YOU post PM's I sent you, Smiles. They're called PRIVATE for a reason!

How "DARE" I post up the private messages?

Well for the basic reason that you were throwing up the point that I had deleted your posts (which were only moved to the recycle bin) and neglected to mention that you had already discussed that with me and had supposedly sorted it out, I think you said that you weren't going to "loose" sleep over them.

I found that *incredibly* offensive, it's that simple, and so I wished to show what really happened. :P
    I hardly think that is the actions of a very good moderator, and I was not abusive to you. I don't know how you managed to become a moderator on here with an attitude like this, you are supposed to be fair, and posting private messages i've sent you is not what i'd call fair by any stretch of the imagination.

Right, what exactly is a "good moderator" meant to do?

Ignore complaints?
    Refuse to acknowledge/moderate the abusive posts?

If you have a problem with me being a moderator then please give *valid* reasons for this?
    From what I gathered, this was a light hearted thread and wasn't set up for you to point out how you're so by the book when it comes to banning people.

This is light-hearted? As far as I can see yourself and SYL are the only ones losing their cool and asking to be banned.

Why was it set up if it wasnt for me to explain why he was banned, since he was not happy?

Since yourself and your good friend SYL were having a nice little b!tch here about me and my moderating techniques, usually people do this strange thing called "explaining" - so I posted up and explained why he was banned.

If you find my "by the book moderation techniques" unacceptable, well please feel free to continue to critise and dig an even bigger hole.

<< Fio >>

rant rant rant...
    I think you said that you weren't going to "loose" sleep over them.

Oh how terribly petty of you, child! What I said was:
    quote:

eth0_ wrote on 28-06-2002 14:03:
    ...I meant you omitted an explanation of why you censored posts today, fair enough you gave a reason yesterday. I found it odd.
    nevermind, i won't be losing any sleep over having posts deleted, just thought it was a little strange.

I don't think I said "loose" so don't try and make out that I can't spell, you really are clutching at straws here.

If you find my "by the book moderation techniques" unacceptable, well please feel free to continue to critise and dig an even bigger hole.

<< Fio >>

You're not explaining anything, you're just bitching, clearly demonstrated by your posting up something I sent to you in private referring to SYL's posts.

I wasn't going to post any further in this thread but i'm amazed at your capacity for self-promotion, you could *easily* have said this in a PM and locked this unconstructive thread but oh no, Smiles has to get the last word in. But then, that's to be expected, isn't it.

Why was it set up if it wasnt for me to explain why he was banned, since he was not happy?
    << Fio >>

That's very presumptuous of you, from what I saw, SYL was asking people to back him up, he wasn't asking for an explanation from you.

The tone of his first post was very light hearted, it was hardly a personal attack, now was it.

Right, this is enough. This is completely pointless.

eth0_, SYL, leave it be. This started off as one person posting spam. Now it's gotten into a verbal fight between 2-4 people.

We must end this now. Lock the thread if we have to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement