Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to Mosh.....MOSH!!!!

• 28-06-2002 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Seen a programme on MTV2 last night called 'The history of the mosh pit'. This may be a silly question, but how many of you are real moshers and whats the coolest/sickest/roughest things you've seen in the pit (and at what gig)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Mine would be Pantera - SFX - got my nose bloody by a swift kick to the face or SLayer/Machine Head way back in the Point - killings aplenty but all in the name of good fun

Also, did you ever notice that no matter how rough or violent a mosh is, that once someone goes down, either falling or slipping, space is made and they aer helped back up (atleast in any of the ones I am in, always make sure to look after myself and everyone else around me :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

I've noticed that too, people are usually always helped up pretty quickly before a classroom pile-up starts in the pit. I've seen a guy challenging all comers and having a guy walk up and punch him right in the nose nearly knocking him out. Another time in the UK Ozzfest last year, during Soulfly, a guy got bearhugged from behind and then ran face-first into the people on one side of the pit. THAT WAS VERY FUNNY ACTUALLY, I still giggle when I think about it. American head Charge at this years ozzfest in punchestown was very competitive too

damn how could I forget Slayer at Ozzfest, not for the faint of heart or the small and helpless ;)

damn 26 yrs old and still moshing, you think brain damage i would have good

4 months shy of 25 and still at it myself. just goes to prove, you can't keep an old bugger down. Its part of a metal gig I think, I don't like those people who hang back nodding and stuff like that, unless they are kids or helpless or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 r0sc0

I was at Rage Against the Machine a couple years ago.. besides the band being incredible - the pit was intense. It was so tight, and they had this massive cable covered on the grass and the crowd would sway all around. Almost every time about 50 or so people would fall down, and there would be a scramble to get them (us) all back up before more people fell or started walking on them. It was pretty hectic. I lost my shoe, was dropped while crowd surfing about 6 ft. onto the grass - the last thing I was expecting was a whole, but thank god it was onto grass.

Tool came on after rage, but I think everyone was wrecked by then. I was. Great show -- anyone have word on what the story is with Rage? I heard that Chris Cornell from Soundgarden hooked up with the band..

• Advertisement

What I heard is that they had the album finished and were mixing it but CC decided that he didn't want to carry it on and pulled the plug on it. Didn't hear anything more than that and that was about 2 months ago....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

me is 28 and still mosh! about to do it all again tomorrow evening at Motorhead/Raging Speedhorn/Soil:)

so hold on, how many people are actually going to Motorhead tomorrow? I know SYL and eth0_ are, aswell as GOnzo, but who else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't mosh, just don't like it :)
    I prefer to just stand at the sides on my own or with a few mates, and headbang or just enjoy the music quietly

I'm just weird like that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Moshing is not about going up and punching a guy in the face. The kind of crowd violence thats described in this thread is the same as that carried out by football hooligans.

Moshing is not Fight Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by yellum
    Moshing is not about going up and punching a guy in the face. The kind of crowd violence thats described in this thread is the same as that carried out by football hooligans.

Moshing is not Fight Club.

You sound like an old man. Everyone knows moshing is violent and people always get hurt. That's why there's a CHOICE whether to go in to the pit or not. Agreed though, punching ppl in the face is neither big nor clever

WRONG! There isn't always a choice, sometimes a moshpit will just open around you, out of the blue. The only choice you have then is to sink or swim (metaphorically speaking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mate of mine is a psycho, loves mosh pits. He's 5'8" and 9 stone, and once he hops in he's fu<ked straight back out again, and then hops back in........

A group of us used to go to gasworks all the time for about 6 weeks :rolleyes: and got in a fight nearly every week, 'cos we'd start proper moshing (elbows and knees flying) with all these scumbags who just wanted to jump up and down. God was that fun :D

Also in the TBMC, at a friend's gig, there were about 6 of us alone moshing in front of the stage (at 12 midday :p). Anyone who's met me knows I'm not a small guy, but a friend caught me off-balance (he took a big runup), and sent me across the room, and flying out through the fire exit :D

Oh, the fun. Of course now I've got dodgy joints, a strange fear of damaging my teeth at all, and a gf, so I haven't partaken in moshing in quite a while. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by eth0_

You sound like an old man. Everyone knows moshing is violent and people always get hurt. That's why there's a CHOICE whether to go in to the pit or not.

you mean the accidental violence that just happens to occour at the same time as a pit? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm sure the people who got crushed to death at The Big Day Out in Austrailia had a choice. Or the people at Roskilde? I'm not saying that moshing is a bad thing, but some people are in there to do one thing; *HURT*! A friend of a friend had to be carried out of a slayer gig on a stretcher, and has never been in a pit again.

It's absolutely no use to say that this is not what moshing is about, but in the end, if you try and delude yourself like that, and go in, you're going to get seriously hurt.

I've been in quite a few pits in my time.
    Some seriouly violent ones.
    I've been kicked, punched, elbowed, headbutted, knocked to the ground, had my hand stamped on, had a nose ring torn out, my glasses bust.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One band: SLAYER

Nuff said.

Twice I've seen htem and twice they ruled and I can't wait for gig number 3.

Professional moshing at Ozzfest - the way it was meant to be. I came out of it with nothing worse than a few bruises, because everyone was responsible. Even the guys swinging at everyone only aimed for arms/chest/back and never any higher or lower so they wouldn't do any real damage. It was the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I mosh, and mosh well. It's not about hurting people really, well not badly. A bloody nose isn't going to do you much harm. It's not hard to get out of a mosh pit, generaly people won't stop you from leaving, unless they're nuts. Any mosh I've been in, people look out for each other.
    In closing, Mosing is good.
    Ya, and the mosh at slayer at ozzfest did kick all kinds of ass. I've had good moshes at the couple of therapy? concerts I've been at too. Go for the mosh, stay for the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ken, what were you doing in a mosh pit with your glasses on?

rage released taht album with Chris Cornell, but they both said that Chris was not aprt of the band or were there any plans for that to happen.
    It was just a recording of a jam session apparently.
    Why did Zach leave?
    I kind of missed that whole bit :confused:

Like yellum, Dav and seamus have said, moshin is a great buzz, same as re-enacting certain scenes from Jackass with mates while pished. Only gets shítty/dangerous when people get too physical/metal/when women try and get involved (equality has alot to answer for ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Zack left cause of that whole thing at the mtv music awards where Tim Commerford (the bassist) climbed up these big poles on the stage during limp bizkits speech, and kinda made an arse out of himself. Him and Zack had a big argument afterwards and he left.

Cornell is supposed to have now changed his mind and is rejoining rage(!)

i havent been in many really voilent pits, Slayer at Ozzfest was the best i've been to. shud have went to tatoo the planet, would have been almighty....

anything else good coming up?, i wonder if that rumour about metallica playing in december is true.............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by SYL
    WRONG! There isn't always a choice, sometimes a moshpit will just open around you, out of the blue. The only choice you have then is to sink or swim (metaphorically speaking).

NO WAY MAN, ONCE THE METAL TAKES HOLD, THERE'S NO GOIN' BACK! YOU JUST....
    GOTTA FIGHT!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Best pits I have been in were...

Megadeth last year in the SFX
    Fear Factory last year in the Ambassador
    Slayer this year in Punchestown

Slayer were the best though. Theres no time for air!! I was in it for the whole duration of it at Ozzfest. I thought it was quite funny also because I seen a few Slipknot hoodies in there gettting bashed outta the pit altogether. I only came home with a bruised shin (a badly bruised shin :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

My god, I'm going to agree vehemently with Angelwhore on a topic related to music. What's happening to me! :)

Yes, moshing is great - except when there are muppets who think that they're in there to hurt people. Like the man said, moshing isn't bloody Fight Club... Any idiot who's in there with the intention of hurting other people rather than just having a good time needs to go work out some of their anger issues in a different way, frankly.

I love moshing - I'm a big lad and I can look after myself, so this doesn't bother me that much. However, there's nothing I hate more than seeing stupid baggy-pants kids outside a gig comparing bruises and dead-arms and giggling in high pitched voices about sly digs they managed to get at people or whatever. That's not moshing, that's just thuggery.

Folk look out for each other in moshes, but in general only older folk. If I go into a pit with my mates we always look for the part of the pit that's got older people in it - mid twenties and up - because they're less likely to try and elbow you in the face or kick you in the crotch just because then they can have a laugh about it with their spotty mates outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

that ratm/ cc band is called 'citizen' i think. dunno what the score is but cornell has podged out ala patton and done a keidis on his hair too.
    on moshing......god be with the old days, knocking over couples like bowling pins at nirvana in the point, trashing some piece of consequence at sunstroke to fnm playing caffiene, burning holes in peoples skin fag in mouth at slayer, stomping on feet in my parachute boots in fibbers of old old old...yadda yadda yadda
    i am mere months away from 30 but those days have caught up on me. i dislocated a knee and broke an ankle, have chipped bones and torn ligaments the culmination of which is that i can't even stand straight anymore. so unlike the t-shirt i used wear with pride as a mark of my invincibility, i am no longer 'unscarred'
    from what i remember mike patton mucked his legs up too doing this type of acrobatic, he bust them bad at one stage and suffers from shin splints.

remember - moshing and cons don't mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Did you hear any of there new stuff? its absoultly brutal. i am a huge rage fan, i love them to bits, but that was completly awfull, i hope zach comes back

Advertisement