Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

membership errcom >> esat POLL

Options
  • 28-06-2002 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

IM wondering how many visitors do we have here and what percetage use errcom v esat..
    Could we set up a POLL

some thing like....

1) I am connected to errcom yes no

2) i am connected to esat yes no

3) i will switch from errcom to esat to support Ireland offline yes No

* if we find most members are with errcom and most will switch as a mark of protest, them maybe we can arrange a specific day on which all applications go live with esat.

* could this poll also span all area`s of boards.ie to get other visitors that may not know about Ireland off line to also participate in this action POLL

Point of the exercise... to have a show of strength of ireland offline as a pressure group.

Q: one other question... exactly how many registered users are there on Boards.ie?? (if we could tap all of them! :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i dial into ocean tbh
    i think thatys esat now ?
    i dont care who - they give me the best ping and its mostly games i play with me connection

id switch to who ever gave be best ping at a reasonable proice

that said id switch to flat ANYONE's rate even if it ment doubleing my ping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Its not to gain opinion on who what when where or why..
    Its asking to get people to support some action on behalf of ireland off line. the only way to get noticed is to take action!

I dont know how many there is .. i would be nice to know.. (maybe De Vore can help us out here ;) )

but if say... 2000 people suddenly went live with esat on the same day that would have to show up as some kinda dent in the books.
    Of course it would be nice if it was more like 20,000.
    imaging having the power to take away that many customers from one competitor and pass to another :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I got rid of isdn at xmas...no more high bills to eircon from me

Since then I only pay eircon the phone line rental grudgingly.
    My phone calls bill i changed to Cynergi who are cheaper at least.
    I deliberately dial-up to ocean on 56k.... my little bit to avoid that mouse !
    Plus i will NOT order adsl at those robbery prices even though it IS available in my area.(am i stupid?...heck no!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

ireland off line recomending members to join esat.....
    i dont think so it was because of ppl being kicked off esat nolimits that ireland offline was set up in the first place

You may not have to join esat if you have enough numbers..
    if there where say.... 20,000 people willing to support an effort to get errcom to listen and make change.
    If a large chunk of subscribers where to move at one time, this has to show up a a hole on there books.
    The point is not to show favor but to show strength, unless having to share profits with esat for customers they use to have doesnt bother them, well then we campaign to get even more! poeple to move etc.... (and if not esat then another carrier, and if i remember correctly, the reason esat kicked people of was a result of per min charging from errcom (AGAIN!) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

To be blunt, this is a stupid idea. Why waste money switching if the other carrier offers as little as eircom.
    Switching to esat for no reason except to annoy eircom doesnt nesecarily support ireland offline.

For the last time , Ireland Offline arent Anti-eircom exclusively.

Im not going to explain any further than i have..
    with all due respect you must be very shortsighted not to see the whole point of the exercise.

and as far as IOFFL being or not being anti errcom..
    has`nt it become obvious!? yet to who is the SOLE! obstical to product introduction and flat rate in this country?? or have you been in some other land for the past 2 years?

The problem is at the source and the source is errcom,
    How hard is that to comprehend??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

not true bone collector. I know you and others are angry at eircom for dragging thier heels, i once was too. Theres simply no point however being angry at a company doing its utmost to make as much money as is humanly possible.

Eircom is not a public company. They are not obliged to do what is best for the Irish Public. They are obliged to make as much money as they can for thier (private) shareholders. This is what they are doing. They are being very shortsighted however. They are not sowing the seeds for the future and they are not engendering any loyalty amongst those most likely to take up new tech (in other words , us).

The Government sold eircom. The Government has the sole responsibility of doing whats best for the Irish Public. The Government has the power to end this mess once and for all. The Government must be the ones that take the initiative on this. It seems to me that eircom and esat are operating a cosy little cartel and the govt or govt agencies are the only ones who can stop this.

I know that eircom are the devil and are %*^%%*& etc etc. It is absolutly pointless and counterproductive to try and change thier minds in this fashion however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

TFor the last time , Ireland Offline arent Anti-eircom exclusively.

Gods, you don't really believe that'll be the last time you utter those words, do you Dustaz? :)

yet to who is the SOLE! obstical to product introduction and flat rate in this country?

With respect BoneCollector, you have to use more sophisticated logic. Sure, yeah, Eircom has held us back at every turn, but only because they're allowed get away with it: by the Government, by Etain Doyle, by the OLO's, by the ISP's, by the media, and hell, by us.

adam

Eircom has held us back at every turn, but only because they're allowed get away with it: by the Government, by Etain Doyle, by the OLO's, by the ISP's, by the media, and hell, by us.

Which leads us full circle right back where we started with errcom.
    They hold all the cards
    They are the cause
    They are the source
    They are the problem

And either way.. it will take action on the part of the ODTR, Gov and US! to get this changed

They are the problem,, we are the solution (metaphorically speaking that is)

• Advertisement
Advertisement