Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phundraiser!!

Options
  • 28-06-2002 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Although i havent seen it on the website, or heard it on the radio, i have learned that there will be another phundraiser on sunday week. i went to the last one, with turn headlining, and will definitely go to this one. if anyone from the station can offer more information, or anyone who really likes to post wants to engage in some wild speculation, i would be very grateful to hear from you. oh and to everyone who posted on the pre RHCP gig, New Order were crap, except for their first few songs (one of which they repeated just before the end).

See you all at the phundraiser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Yes, its true. There is going to be another Phundraiser on Sunday week. Its paying for the damage to my poor little Punto in the last month apparently. And to buy Tom E Brown a new circular saw. Jaysus, I wish. Seriously though, no, there is no Phundraiser (well, that we are aware of anyway!) scheduled for next Sunday. Dont you think we would be giving it at least some promotion if there was one?

For now at Phantom towers, its paint, saw and paint some more.

Just out of curiousity though, if there was to be another Phundraiser, who would ye like in the line up?

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

jaysus, this is gonna go on for a while...

i'd like to see polar, brando, hopper, mundy, blotooth, bellx1, damien rice, goodtime john, turn...it could be an all day thing...maybe popstar...oooh i'd love to see label, and a wee bit of gemma hayes wouldnt go astray...

so anyway it could go on from 12 to 12...they did it in whelans a while ago...

also i'm sure there's loads of others i wanna see...if i left you out, then sorry...

oh and otranome too :) and berkeley and the great NPB...agggghhhh i gotta stop, i just keep thinking of more and more...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Hey Pete
    1. When are you getting that RDS signal fixed - my car radio doesn't know what day of the week it is!

2.I'd want to see SkyJack, Blowtooth, NPB. Don't let Superskin anywhere near the place to suck it up! Oh how about Audrey from Scheer too?

3. Popstar too..good idea Kurdt. See you in the chat room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pooh

Skylight would love tp play the phundraiser if anybody agrees please please just type: 1 2 THE SCENE
    p.s thanks to all the lads the other night at the tbmc polar and blotooth were brilliant and they were great to us nothing but praise for them. Mick ya have to stop slapping my ass really man the third man just will not work in my relationship. So anyway skylight would love to play the phundraiser if that is ok. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Let me see........... NPB, Damien Rice, Wilt, Polar, Mundy, bell x1 ohhh and Muse would actually go dowan quite well for me anyway!!:) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eye_of_gold

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Hello all,

Yes, its true. There is going to be another Phundraiser on Sunday week. Its paying for the damage to my poor little Punto in the last month apparently. And to buy Tom E Brown a new circular saw. Jaysus, I wish. Seriously though, no, there is no Phundraiser (well, that we are aware of anyway!) scheduled for next Sunday. Dont you think we would be giving it at least some promotion if there was one?

For now at Phantom towers, its paint, saw and paint some more.

Just out of curiousity though, if there was to be another Phundraiser, who would ye like in the line up?

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

yeah, thought it was short notice. i seem to have seen something called phundraiser on entertainment.ie next sunday. i think kurdt has the right idea for the bands to be at the next one though, and good look to skylight getting on the list. i dont think anyone has said Gemma Hayes there yet, but i thnk she's pretty cool.
    how many phundraisers has there been so far anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dear eye of gold (if that is your real name)
    who gives a poo about your insignificant little questions? no one!!! yes new order sucked balls.
    so when is ciaran comming back and when is tom comming back?
    we need to sort all that out soon enough.

kind regards etc,

idref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

You know, youre right. There is an event called "Phundraiser" listed to take place in Voodoo Lounge next week. Its nothing to do with us though, and we will make polite enquiries later on as to why someone is using that name for an event, or maybe even a band? Anybody with any further details, please do let us know.

To answer eye of golds question, theres been one Phundraiser so far, in March of this year. We do plan another one in the Autumn. Promise to give lots of notice.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eye_of_gold

well idref, if that is your real name (i cant tell from your username), both should be around by next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i actually believed you pete when i saw that, until i kept "reeding".
    the whole day long thing would go down really really well, id lvoe that!
    my bands would be: polar, npb, turn, jove (not the tallaght one), wallmark, brando, dr millar, alazarussoul (whatever that word is!!! i think its made up of sack and 10 speed racer but i could be lying), deputy fuzz, oh if u could get the frames...:), blotooth, and maybe then id actually see them!, mael mordha (go for it, it'd be such a laugh) and out of loyalty pin and corrupted, and id better say skyjack too. :)

look at the amount of times polar has been mentioned!!! i reckon thats put the wolrd's smilest smile on ur face mick :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MoeJay
    Hey Pete
    1. When are you getting that RDS signal fixed - my car radio doesn't know what day of the week it is!

2.I'd want to see SkyJack, Blowtooth, NPB. Don't let Superskin anywhere near the place to suck it up! Oh how about Audrey from Scheer too?

3. Popstar too..good idea Kurdt. See you in the chat room!

see ya in the chatroom eh?? who are ya in the chatroom??

oh, and eyeofgold...i mentioned gemma hayes...love to see her at it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Most people have covered all the bands I'd like to see at another Phundraiser but I'm gonna give my line-up anyway.

Brando / Skyjack / Blotooth / Polar / Wallmark / Turn / Mundy / NPB / Johnny Pyro (I'd like to see the singer sober for a change!) / Fairuza /...there are too many good bands out there but they're the ones who stand out most in my poor head at this time on a Monday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Leila

Turn/future kings of spain/boxes/fairuza/ten speed racer/the replacements/the cramps/brando(so I could heckle them unmercifully)

facts schmacts you can prove anything with facts

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Thanx for the vote of confidence lads !!!
    Actually, this was an idea myself and the other lads in GigSmart have been kicking around, We'd love to do something to show our love & respect to the one radio station that truely looks out for the best Irish music !!!
    What do ya think Pete ???
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 throatyhorse

the last one was great but i think you should try and go for different bands this time
    my choice:
    blotooth - (deadly tunes)
    speedman - (amzing live)
    nina hynes - (loveluy girl!)

that'd be even better...have a gigsmart tribute to phantom fm gig...that'd be kickin'!!!

and another phundraiser...c'mon yis all know yis want it!!!

Damn Straight !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 juanola

what about some bands that don't spend their lives putting themselves forward on message boards.

go for bands not listed above and avoid the sad gits. If they were any good they would not have to pretend to be their own fans.

hey mr sourpuss who's pretending to be their own fan???

although i can see yer point, ollie cole, mundy, damien rice, glen hansard, gemma hayes, cormac battle, binzer...they're always on these message boards...

anyway mr bitter who'd ya have in mind then??? or can ya not say coz it might take away from their credibility and make them 'sad gits'...

I agree with juanola's conspiracy theory about self promoters
    **** it
    Lets just have a bring and buy sale

• Advertisement

Ok so what you are saying is that we should shut up and play the music...... right well we did but YOU would not be able to come to the gig if you did not know about it and for that to happen you need to hear that we are playing a gig and for that to happen we need to tell you. SELF PROMOTION! if that is not simple enough for you let me put it this way PHANTOM FM = INDEPENDANT BANDS = NO RECORD COMPANY = NO ADVERTISING = SELF PROMOTION. so now that that all makes sense the only way that you will hear of bands be them good or bad is through promotion and for that to happen for us is to promote as much as posible so there you go. I am sorry if i offend but it is only because i get offended myself when poeple have a go at me for being in a band being happy about it and wanting to get better and let poeple hear it and hopefully enjoy it.
    good day to you all and enjoy the bands that don't tell poeple about themslevs.

you go pooh...

saw yis there the other nite with polar and blotooth...was well impressed!!!

which one were you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

PHANTOM FM = INDEPENDANT BANDS = NO RECORD COMPANY = NO ADVERTISING = SELF PROMOTION

You don't need a record company to take you buy the hand and do everything for you. Just because you aren't signed to a label doesn't mean you can't advertise.

If your band releases something good (you don't need a label to do that) and you send it to members of the press it'll probably get played on pirate radio, it'll get reviewed you might get interviewed etc.. people will know who your band are and then if your gigs are listed in The Event Guide and on entertainment.ie people will find out about them and hopefully go to them.

But you'll get nowhere by just promoting blindly. If I find out that some band I've never heard of and no nothing about are playing in Eamon Dorans or somewhere why would I go ?

Ok firstly the gig with blotooth and polar was so much fun to play so thank you for A : coming and B : liking it. But monkey you understand my point I was saying that you don't need a label to promote just if you don't have a label it is very very hard to not self promote we have recorded and sent into phantom and it did do well I think I mean I am no master mind but number 6 in the Irish charts ON PHANTOM and the irish A list sounds good to me and we have been in the event guide and other guides and reviewed and so on and on but we also have to ask people like phantom WHO ARE AMAZING and doing the best job out there for Irish unsigned bands, if we can play at their phundraiser and so on I mean I have to take on role as manager and band member at the same time. I am not looking for sympathy but some respect other than people saying how sad it is that I have to self promote to get anywhere is hard to take. I hope that that clears it up a bit more and I don't want to ramble on about this forever either i mean it is music we all like music thats why we are here now.
    P.S. thanks again for coming to the gig we hope to play more with Polar and Blotooth in the future. people should go to gigsmart gigs more often because they have all the good bands not that I need to mention who they are. lol. night all.:o

I was refering to people who log on and maybe start a thread about their band without ever identifying that they are in the band themselves
    If you read the rest of the thread you would be aware of this

People who through the safety of the anonymous username pretend to be fans of their own band.

I think thats a bit sad
    They are the same sacks who ring up Phantom requesting their own songs
    Phantom have a pretty good policy on playing new irish Music and will give most decent tracks a good airing-
    I think its a tad shameful to request yourself if no one else is after its been playlisted

I have no problem ewith self promotion as long as its upfront
    In fact I applaud it !!!

now, considering the fact that you popped up with this after my post, i'll take it that yer referring to me and saying that i'm a member of popstar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ellentic

Maybe what they do is sad.. But at the end of the day, alot of bands will do all they can to get noticed, and they're the one that everyone knows the name of..

If nobody knows your name because your too cocky to over-promote your band, your not going to get anywhere.. I mean, everyone has heard of Popstar.. Why? Because they'd promote at a funeral if they got the chance.. Maybe its a bad thing, but they wont complain when it pays off..

What is all this **** about....I'm the only member of popstar* who ever posts on this board.......have I ever shamelessly promoted popstar* here ???
    Thanx for not including our business into your whiny sessions !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

christ!!!
    To Kurdt :I was replying in general ,not to one specific person
    I havent a clue if you are in Popstar or not

I think if you have been playlisted on Phantom and then keep requesting yourself just as a means to stay on the air then you are a sad ****.
    try writing some better songs that people will want to request of their own valition cos they like it and want to hear it not because its been forced on them through constant requests by band members and their family and friends.

If any of you think that it is this is ok to do this then fair enough do it
    You are entitiled to your opinion but I think you will end up like as one of those sad local hero bands who drag half the parish to their shows and get features written about them in the Northside People ( insert name of Local rag here)

• Advertisement

fair enuf...

and thanx for the cd kranog...

Advertisement