Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perhaps a bit cheeky

• 30-06-2002 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    this might be a bit cheeky. But I'm about to start applying for jobs after sitting my finals, and I've been trying to tidy up my CV a bit, after reading the advice in this forum.
    If anyones really, really bored, and wouldn't mind lending me a hand, I'd appreciate any critcism on the latest version.
    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~greg/gregcv.doc

thanks,
    Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CareerSearcher

Greg,

Looks good but it could do with some work.

I have learnt the hard way that you have to present information in an easy to read format and to realsie that the person reading your biography probably has 50-100 more to read - it needs to be clear, concise and memorable.

The first third of a biography is always wasted and it is the most important area to get attention.

Why not use a CV TEMPLATE. There are plenty out there FREE!

I have just used one on www.irelandhiring.ie and found it to be great. Nice layout and it prints out well. There are others and it is a matter of personal choice but remember you want to be chosen so getting the biog. right is half the battle.

ok, by all means give the url of a site that can help, but dont get too brave and put your site all over your posts, or im just going to edit them as advertising.
    i have left in your god avise from this post, but ive edited out all the other times you mention your site.
    we do havea sticky thread here for cv advice, but if someone asks for personal advice, then by all mens supply the advice, but dont start annoying me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

thanks for the feedback guys :)
    Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good points from both the last two posters there. Also a big one which we were taught was to write it more-or-less in the third person. So instead of "I have represented TCD...", just right "Represented TCD....". IMO it looks better, and for the amount of times you right I worked/I have/I wrote - you'll save a few numbers on the wordcount by writing in the third person.

Also cut down on useles info. For example:
    1996-2000. I worked as a barman in McCloskeys of donnybrook. Working 3 nights on
    average a week during term, and full time during the summers.

Just writing "Worked as a barman in McCloskey's, Donnybrook." would be sufficient. The details of your hours are irrelevant.

Little things like that though can be padded - Did you ever work alone? i.e. "Worked as a barman in McCloskey's, Donnybrook. On occasion was entrusted as acting head barman, co-ordinating the other barstaff. "

Some of the other things, like the amount of networking/gaming stuff you've done could all be put into a separate section, maybe under 'interests and hobbies'.

For example, the MUD one, could just be - "Set up and maintained a large internet gaming service, which held consistent interest over the 4/5 years I was involved".

As people have said, basically cut down on the info. It'll give you more to talk about in the interview, and white space makes a CV look neat. Also yes, lose 2 referees. 2 is ample, and plenty of people simply write "References available on request". This will allow you to pick-and choose who refers you when they ask.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CareerSearcher

Just trying to be of assistance with something I found practically useful - if it can help.
    Regarding advertising: Theres a thought...would those guys pay for it?
    Anyhow, I agree with your comment. Perhaps I was a little too enthusiastic with my advice.

"Live, learn ...and let live....cause next time it can only be better"(...somebody famous probably said that!)...so, in the interest of the next time, I wont be annoying you!
    Originally posted by CareerSearcher

ok, by all means give the url of a site that can help, but dont get too brave and put your site all over your posts, or im just going to edit them as advertising.
    i have left in your god avise from this post, but ive edited out all the other times you mention your site.
    we do havea sticky thread here for cv advice, but if someone asks for personal advice, then by all mens supply the advice, but dont start annoying me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no problemo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Try and expand on your work experience more.
    Did you work as a team memeber
    Have you worked alone
    What responsibilities were you entrusted with
    What projects and customers did you have whilst at work

For your address keep it on one line instead of 4 lines, or else use columns.

For your degree list out some of the important subjects you did. You don't mention a final year thesis.

Basically if an employer see's interesting items on your CV he will ask you about them and thats OK, as you will be in control. If there's very little reading he could ask you anything and that introduces an uncertainty into the interview

agh. you looked at the updated version, after I removed most of the information about my work experience. The ppl before you said to cut that stuff out. This is confusing as hell ;)
    thanks for the advice though!
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

change the "tools" heading to "computer skills" and beef or split that section up.

change the first section, i.e. all your personal details to go side by side... this'll compact that section so you can get more critical information on the first page (the main page HR ppl will look at).

you don't need to expand your work experience any further (in mine I just simply list out job titles and dates)... but space it out.. formatting is the main thing throughout, it must look clean, precise and factual (even if certain parts aren't).

and i sent ya a pm there. go read it.

• Advertisement

cheers guys. good to know I'm making some progress.
    and Ken, you sure you sent me a pm? Doesnt show up? Perhaps you squashed it under your mighty bulk?
    Greg

ok
    a few things now that ive actually looked at it.

1) clean up your personal details.
    im not a fan have things centred in the page. have your headings on the left adn your details on the right. use the whole width of the page, its what its there for.
    dont put in your school and college in personal details.
    its not relavant.
    add in nationality and marital status if you want
    add a mobile phone number if you have one
    add your email address

2)drop the priority of academia.
    the first thing after personal details should be your work
    its what the want to look at.
    give more info on the work.
    i worked at mcdonalds isnt enough. tell them you were super johnny 5 gold stars and vice president of buns or something.
    youre trying to sell yourself here.
    use bullet points to list acomplishments in work, its neat, its precise and it makes it look neater. if you were a barman, then tell them you were involved in customer relations, tell them you looked after the place when the manager wasnt about.
    tell them you did stock takes. sell youself.

you did sys admin, what size company. how responsible were you? did you have full rights? were you in charge of lots of important data, backups, etc etc etc

3) tools.
    change the name. put it under software development or something. just change it.
    say how good you are at the apps.
    make bullet points of these. only sentences should be used in sentence format. lists should be in list format.

4)acomlishments should all come under the various headings unless its a personal thing, in which case you should have a person stuff at the end which also gives details of drivers licences etc, certs etc etc etc

5) near te end should be your college and school should you want to put it in. it gets less relevant the long oyu are out of school and have more work experience behind you.

i will add my old cv and you can have a look.
    its changed several times since this, but its still tidy and worht a gander. and i know this works, becuase ive actually used this to get myself 3 job offers int he space of a year since i left ireland.

hope some of this has helped.

good luck

oh, and you may have noticed ive edited out some of the more useful info :)
    oh, and change it to a .doc

good point, well taken.

as i said, the more work experience you get, the more you can put in.

then i say jusggle between your work experience and your academic record.

by the way, i know people who still have their iter results in their bloody cv at the age iof 28.
    come to think of it, i dont even have my leaving results in their anymore.
    its just not important anymore.

Advertisement