Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Internal Drive to External

Options
  • 30-06-2002 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've a few old bits of kit lying around like old hard drives and cr writers, anyone know of a way to connect them via Serial port or usb or pcmcia or something? I cant think of much other use for them.

I'm sure it can be done...... somehow.

I suppose I could leave an IDE cable hanging outside my 'puter ...

I've seen those PCI scsi cards with the port on the outside, then all id need would be a power source for the drive....... anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I know you can hok up a laptop hard drive via pcmcia using a little box that is readilly available

you can hook up a cdr via parallel cable, but I think you need a special adapter - and I think you are limited to 4X only

I could be wrong but a scsi adapter can only be hooked up to a scsi drive

Hopefully someone else will know more about this than I do

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

You can buy any of the 3.5" IDE Hard Drive enclosures that hook up to USB. There's even the new ones that work on USB 2.0 so you're not limited by 11mbit's of USB 1.0 (1.1?). I've seen them on Komplett, but I'm sure there's more stores around that have them.

Same thing for hooking up a CDR drive, but you'll need a 5.25" enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've seen external "cases" advertised in some of the UK PC magazines in the past that you hook up to your computer via serial, parallel or USB and then you just slide your hard drive or CD ROM drive into the case and the connectors hook up to standard power and IDE connectors on the back of the inside of the case. I reckon these would be ideal but, as I said, I've only seen them in the UK mags and it's been a while since I saw any of them advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

This is the kind of thing I'd be looking at:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=22938&t=108&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=6&s=pl

It's got both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports, so you can hook it up to virtually any PC out there. Firewire works out a bit faster than USB 2.0 (tests of Tom's Hardware).

All you need is a 3.5" hard drive to put in there :)

Advertisement