Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn gigs and helter shelter!

Options
  • 30-06-2002 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

well, i only got to see the first turn gig but it was great! i think turn are one of ireland's most "different" (in the best possible way) bands, and i find that (as ive said before) when they get it right they REALLY get it right, but when they get it wrong its oh so horrid...well, they played a lot of right songs yesterday! The new double a side should be really good, the second song sounded excellent. and they were so funny to, as were brando and wallmark (eltons story about the guitarist was brilliant)

i enjoyed brando, who have some great songs, and wallmark, the first time ive heard them, were great, the lead singer has a lovely voice..actually, that could be said of all 3 bands yesterday.

and helter shelter was great too, the dj is so class (is it bren from xfm?) he knows just what to say that'll strike a chord with everybody's...heart ...and feet and make them dance!;) It was so packed too! so a good saturday was had ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

yeah, both of the gigs yesterday were great!!!!

for the day gig, it was nnice to sit and take in the brilliance of turn, thought brando were pretty good too and wallmark (and fairplay to the drummer for drumming with Near The Big Green)...

the evening gig was deadly too...tho didnt think much of mr wall and friend...

near the big green were cool...

and turn were even better!!!than the afternoon...

and happy birthday to the birthday girl that got up and did the crab!!! you go girl!!! looking forward to seeing turn at witnness...13 days and counting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

What a day Saturday was! Turn were great as were the ever impressive Brando, and Wallmark were really good. Well worth going to see again. Near The Big Green...very cool, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Kurdt about the guys from the Walls. Not in keeping with the good music running all day.
    I'm sorry Drowner, but I've gotta say that the music overall in Helter Shelter wasn't great. Screamadelica is more my style. And what's with the "more mature" ladies hangin out in the Shelter?!!!
    That was a bit of a surprise. Fair play to them tho. They probably enjoyed the music more than I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

of the 3 alt nite clubs that ive been to: screamadelica, phantasm and helter shelter, i couldnt pick a favourite, they all are great for different reasons. Screamadelica is great to dance to, helter shelter plays a lot of songs that i just *love* and never thought would be played, songs that wouldnt eb the usual choice to play from a bands album, and phantasm is a bit of a mixture, which always plays songs that give me happy memories.
    and werent u too asleep to back up that statement? ;)

we weren't asleep! Just resting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

what do ya mean, we were up dancing all night...

just coz you missed us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by thedrowner

is it bren from xfm?

The very same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I went to see Turn (the afternoon gig) and enjoyed myself so much, I went again that night. Absolutely amazing, they are definitely one of Irelands better live bands. And it's nice to see local boys doing well, its far from Whelan's they were raised...!!!
    And thank you to the scobie git who attempted to break into my car (why on earth would he want to? Maybe he felt obliged to empty my ashtray?) and subsequently messed up my alarm so now it goes of at 3am regular. Fanatastic.

And to Sandi and Drowner: you were both there? Well, thank you so much for not saying hello. For shame. Shaaaaame!!

:p

Oh no! I didn't know you were going. If I'd seen you at either of the gigs I'd have said hi. I was talking to Myles briefly at the evening gig, were u anywhere near him? Ah well... I'm sure we'll meet again soon! :)
    You should come into the chatroom on Sunday nights at around 10 for a while...it's fun!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I only wish I could be in the chatroom of a Sunday, however, not having internet access in Dublin (oh, the shame...) I have to content myself with texting the two Petes and saying hi that way... oh, and general chocolate biscuit related activities.

Poor me.

(Please make all sympathy cheques payable to the 'Get Silverfish Online on Sunday Fund'......)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

should be "phund"
    i like my pun-nish type words
    u probably idd see is we were blocking the entrance into the toielts ;)
    and i have unmistakable hair

• Advertisement
Advertisement